Synaptics Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor

3.3

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Synaptics (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Met on Wednesday at 10:30 to 1:30 (No lunch). Resumed on Thursday at 3:30 until 5:30. Two weeks later no results.

Interview Questions

• Who do you know in Taiwan I should know to do my job?   1 Answer

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Synaptics (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Got a cold call from a Synaptics recruiter who set me up with two technical phone interviews. Pretty typical questions you would get for firmware: describe threads, task schedulers, interrupts, semaphores, watchdog timers and their use cases.

The two technical interviews led to an on-site review. This was an all day interview which included lunch, and I met with seven people who were going to be part of the team I worked with. Questions included writing C code for bit manipulations, drawing digital circuits, and how a boot loader works. Explaining the trade off between I2C and SPI was another question.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was when one of the interviewers asked me what my ethnicity and age was. It didn't offend me and I brushed it off because the guy was young so it was probably his first time conducting an interview, but it was definitely in poor taste. I hope HR sees this and instills some guidance for the young engineers that are interviewing.   Answer Question

The majority of the interviewers were welcoming and very humble, but a couple were condescending during the 1:1 on-site which left a bad impression. The two I mentioned seemed like the engineers I would be working with, so I decided to decline when the offer came in.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synaptics (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I was referred by my friend , recruiter contacted understood the situation and scheduled phone interview after 2 weeks . Had a phone interview where I was asked questions on RS232,SPI, data memory allignment, USB, RTOS . I thought that it did not go well but hiring manager had said in the end that we do not expect every one to know everything and then came to know through recruiter that HM recommended me for onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• what is data memory allignment ?   Answer Question
    • explaing priority inversion ? how to solve and then question regarding priority inheritance - how to implement?   Answer Question
    • state difference between SPI , I2C . Describe your work experience   Answer Question

got another offer and this was slow process and still waiting to hear for promised onsite interviews as they said there is no open entry level position and I should wait

Senior Systems Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Synaptics (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

- The interviewers were all fairly smart. This isn't common for most companies.
    - I was always treated with full respect. The interviewers, even though all smart, treated my answers as correct by default and though how they themselves could also be equally wrong if their opinion were different. At most places, the interviewers generally consider themselves to be smarter and behave as if the candidate is dumb whenever their opinion does not match that of the candidate.
    - A full day of generally deeply technical interviews, yet a lot of fun.
    - Two interviewers for each session. All were very honest and honestly trying to hire good candidates for the position.
    - Interview level would be difficult for most candidates though was mostly easy for me

Research Scientist/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Synaptics (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

I was required to give a presentation about any topic that I like but that involved technical skills of course. The presentation was followed by several 45 minutes interviews with 2 interviewers at each time. The team was very welcoming and respectful and I had the chance to learn about some of the projects that Synaptics was working on.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Synaptics (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

I submitted CV and received phone call from recruiter about Summer Intern position. Fairly easy interview. Great Intern program. Highly recommended. Very technical smart people, but I interviewed for support services (non engineer). More work meant shifting to contractor which is a rough transition. Very little support for contractors.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a situation of conflict with a colleague or manager. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Intern program is quite generous. $30/hr with $1000 bonus upon completion.

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Synaptics (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

The first afternoon I interviewed with a manager. He asked several easy technical questions and said I passed. Then he arranged another appointment. The next time I interviewed with 5 people, including a sr. sw engineer, 2 sw engineers, a system engineer and the manager of the hiring group (not the one I interview before). I think I correctly answered all the technical questions. The last interviewer was the manager. He asked a lot of questions and used twice the time assigned. I thought I was going to be hired. But a week later I received an email from the HR saying I was denied the offer. The reason is that another guy did better.

Interview Questions

• How to invert all the bits in a byte? e.g. 0x55 should be changed to 0xAA.   3 Answers