Synopsys Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 22, 2017

3.2

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Firstly a phone interview from Hiring Manager talking about the position and their product, as well as a discussion about my background and interests. Followed by an on-site interview in headquarter, which includes 6 rounds of talking with different engineers in the team and also HR. People are very nice and patient. Got offer two days later.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about C++ knowledge, OO design, OS aspect details.   Answer Question

Test Automation R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

My PHD advisor referred me and I got a telephone interview from Synopsys.
    The hiring manager of the R&D group telephoned me.
    First he described the position to me (test automation R&D).
    Then he asked me several questions ranging from C++ to circuits.
    Last he wanted to know when I can start working.
    Haven't heard from them after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What did you do in your past internship? What's your major contribution?
      How much codes do you write every week?
      Which is better, multiple if statement or switch statement?
      What is static variable in C++?
      Explain call by reference and call by value.
      Explain setup time and hold time.
      If Vdd drops, how does it affect the performance of a transistor?
      Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Brief discussion with the recruiter n the hone followed by hour long technical interview with the hiring manager on the phone. After this I was invited onsite for about a 5 hour technical interviews with five team members.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was "C" questions on printf, UNIX signalling mechanism, multithreading and process model. Onsite was more algorithms and implement you own functions and find the problem with pre-written "C" functions, write a function to convert little endian data to big endian and solve some generic puzzles. I was also asked scripting questions on Perl.   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Synopsys in June 2015.

Interview

The process started with a phone screen with recruiter. This was followed by multiple 1:1 phone interviews with the hiring manager and members of the engineering and sales teams. I had a pending job offer that I need to respond to quickly, and the people were very accommodating to this situation.

The phone calls were conversational, with the interviewers digging into my past work history, projects, experience with certain technologies and understanding my interest in the particular role.

Interview Questions

• OOP Concepts, Data Structures, Code Debugging, Sales Scenarios   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Synopsys in May 2015.

Interview

Applied through employee referral. Was contacted by the team to schedule a phone interview. Was also contacted by HR about an hour after the phone interview to decide a tentative start date etc, although HR made it clear that the Manager was yet to make a hiring decision and would decide in a day or two.

Interview Questions

• Interview started off by asking me about my experience with Programming, What is the largest code you have written, etc. Questions were mostly software based-was quizzed on many basic software concepts for about an hour and VLSI basics for 10-15 minutes.
      C/C++: Imagine you have a program that takes in an integer input and you have to print out each digit using a function that can only print one char-how would you do it.
      Usual questions on Arrays, LinkedLists, Vectors, Hash tables-buckets; Identifying unique elements when using buckets. Questions on Trees-balanced, unbalanced trees, worst case complexity, Methods to balance trees:red-black and AVL trees. Questions on Graphs-Adjacency Lists, Adjacency Matrices. The difference between them and which one to use in what context. Questions on enumerated datatypes and typesorting.
      Questions about all of the sorting algorithms and which data structures to use to implement each of them, Worst case swap/comparison complexity in each case. Question on how qsort() is implemented in C and how it would sort Records of data.
      Questions on malloc, stack and heap. The difference between using malloc and declaring a fixed array. Questions on maps-when to use them, what is their advantage.
      VLSI-questions on latches/flipflops; Assign and always statements in verilog. Questions on Static CMOS and its advantages. Questions on the different types of power dissipation and methods to reduce each of them. Questions on Functions/Procedures/Tasks in Verilog.
      1 Answer

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I got an e-mail 3 days after applying online requesting a phone conversation. I had a phone conversation with HR asking my salary expectations. I stated the number I saw on glassdoor 78-80k. She said that was too high and how about something in the 60k RANGE. I said ok something in the high end of that range. I had a second phone interview with the team I'd be working with. A week later I had the in person interview. Prior to the interview they have you fill out an application so they can do a background check. I had a 3.5 hour interview with the team and the VP I'd be supporting. They offered me tea or coffee but no snack (eat before you go). I met with the HR lady first. She immediately wanted to discuss numbers. At first she offered 60k and I said I had been making 10k more than that at my last job. She then jumped to 65k and i said that was closer to what I wanted but needed to learn more about the position before committing to a number. She then said 68k plus 3k bonus and I said that sounded about right but let me learn more about the position. After that I met everyone I'd be working with and supporting. The day after the interview they asked for my references to call and conducted a background check which took over a week. They called all my references. HR called me again and said they were prepared me make me an offer I'd be very happy with. A week later I got an offer, 60k. I countered with pointing out my previous salary, my education, and my years of experience and asked about the numbers we discussed when we met in person (the 68k+bonus). She denied ever having that discussion with me. My jaw nearly hit the ground. She said she would have never discussed numbers with me without approval. I was shocked and it was off putting. I asked for 65k and she said the best she could do is 62k. I asked about RSUs and sign on bonus. She said RSUs are for engineers only. She said she would see if she could get me a sign on bonus to "sweetin the pot". Her denial of ever having that conversation with me about numbers pretty much made me not want the job. Funny, because a week later she called me and told me they could not give me what I wanted and withdrew the job offer. I was relieved.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you can't stand at work? Something that drives you crazy.   1 Answer

The negotiations were shady

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

It's a really nice EDA corporation. The location is good and working status is stable. They will give you onsite interview if you get through the phone interview. For the onsite interview, I met with the team members and direct manager.

Interview Questions

• Very general questions about data structures, some algorithms and describe the projects that you did.   Answer Question

Applications Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys in April 2015.

Interview

I had two hours telephonic and 5 hours onsite interview.
    They made it sure I was comfortable for the entire duration of onsite interview.
    unfortunately the position got cancelled due to budget constrains

Interview Questions

• How does sizing effect the speed, power and area of the gates?
      low power analysis and Importance of Static Cmos
      Race conditions , assign, case,casex,casez ,
      gave an rtl coding problem and told to design in vhdl, verilog and system verilog. Then explain how the code is interpreted in every language with respect to design .
      Difference between blocking / non blocking, reg/wire/logic in terms of memory storing?
      Packed and unpacked multi dimensional array differences and their memory allocations?
      C++ Concepts of class, structure and virtual functions?
      STA/DTA analysis ,step-up /hold time based questions
      Busses in arm processors
      Questions on interface, modports and clocking blocks
      how to find or debug a race and glitch in simulation,
      most importantly version and the build of the vcs tool and linux commands
      Basic of uvm,
      system-verilog- functions, tasks,classes, and why interface is a separate class name (why it had to be uniquely designed)
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through career fair. Initial phone call interview was scheduled for 45 mins. And then, I was called for an onsite interview. It was for around 5 hours. I enjoyed talking to every one during my interview.

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Multiple rounds of F2F interviews in one day. Three in the morning, three in the afternoon. Interviewers are very friendly. Some questions about digital design are asked. However, a strong software development experience is more important. Parking is free as far as I know (not parking ticket given).

Interview Questions

• Data structures (linked lists, trees, hash tables, graphs), C++, and basic digital design questions.   Answer Question