Synopsys Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 4, 2017

3.2

30 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Was referred to a job opening by an employee. Had a phone screen with an HR rep about a week after applying. Flew out for an onsite interview about two weeks later. Interview was pretty laid back with a technical/research presentation given by me followed by individual meetings with engineers at the company.

This was an R&D focused position, so the technical questions were mostly about my graduate work. There was off and on discussion of C++ and company software development practices. Very basic questions about C++ and C and hardware (cache, threads, etc.).

Interview Questions

• How would I use my finite element research and apply it to finite volume methods?   Answer Question

CAD Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied for a position in the Mountain View, CA HQ about 7 weeks ago.

(First week in the process)
    - Received the initial phone screening with the recruiter (from Texas).

(2 weeks into the process)
    - I received a technical interview call about a from a member of the company that I would possibly work with if hired.
    - I received a call back from recruiter telling me that the team member loved my responses and they would be more than happy to bring me in for an onsite interview.

(3 weeks into the process)
    - The interview on my part went absolutely fine. There were six individuals that I had to interview with and each asked me a batch of questions and told me that my answers were what they were looking for. So in the end, I thought it went fine.
    - They told me that I would have a decision by Friday, latest the following Wednesday.

(4 weeks into process)
    - I had to call because the recruiter ignored my emails. She said that I had to send in some documents, which I did. She then told me that they would not take that much longer to respond back for my final decision.
    - I emailed her by end of week to no response.
    - I then saw that they had posted up the position, in an attempt to find different candidates (which in my opinion, makes complete sense because they want the best fit for their company)

(5 weeks into process)
    - I contact the recruiter on Tuesday and she told me,
    "They are unsure about your technical background so they are working up a contract to hire role, it will be not that much longer. However, it is looking really good, be patient"
    - She did not mention that they were screening for more candidates but gave the false hope that I would definitely be selected

Today, it has been 7 weeks into the process. I have basically given up on Synopsys and will decline their offer or literally trash their email response due to their unprofessionalism in this entire process.

1. If you are screening for new candidates, please do not ensure current candidates that they have a great chance of getting the position. That is instilling false hope when they could be keeping their options open for other positions.
    2. Respond to potential candidate's emails, response times ranged from a day to a week to receive a response. Phone call messages that I left were never returned.
    3. We are all adults here. Each and every party should be honest. At this point, I am unsure if the Hiring Manager actually even mentioned a contract to hire role or if the Recruiter mentioned that to let me down easy.
    - Why does it take almost 3 weeks for a Hiring Manager to construct a contract to hire role, this company has been around for 15 years, it should be relatively quick to just throw together something.

Honestly, the worst experience I have ever had for a hiring process. Period.

Interview Questions

• What is the highest floor you can drop an egg from without it cracking?   2 Answers

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview process was time-consuming (13+ interviews with 11 people,) rigorous, and involved. Questions were standard for the position, e.g. describe how you handled a difficult personality situation, how do you balance schedules and budget, do you prefer waterfall or agile methodologies and why. Interviewers were definitely pre-biased based on assumptions made from the resume, so be certain to explain - clearly - any gaps.

Interest and feedback during the interview were well-communicated, but follow-up post-interviews was uneven and misleading. Verbal commitments for contact and offer were not kept. Expect to have to do more follow-up work to track status than is normal.

Senior R&D Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I had a 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager who asked about my research projects and coding experience. He also explained about the job requirements which would mostly involve debugging customer issues with Synopsys TCAD software.

IT Architect Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Very rude and loud recruiter. While negotiating some of the information was miss-represented than what was on the offer letter. I called the recruiter to clear the confusion and I got a rude and unprofessional reply. My experience was so bad that I had to decline the offer. Team I interviewed with was very nice and personable.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience, design patters, HTTP, Security questions, basic data base questions   Answer Question

R&D Engineer, Senior II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I contact the hiring manager at LinkedIn. After a week, I got a phone interview with 5 engineers. They invited me to fly to California for an onsite interview. We spend the afternoon talking about my Ph.D. dissertation and discussing program languages, advances in new technologies, EDA industry, etc. It was a very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• (Over the phone): Describe in details the VLSI standard cell design flow.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

6 rounds of one to one interview with engineers within the group. They cared about your coding experience and problem solving ability. They want to ensure that you desired to stay in this field. HR manager asked about my background during having lunch with me. They are all very smart and nice guys. I learned a lot from the interview.

Interview Questions

• white board coding, basic algorithm and previous project   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Firstly a phone interview from Hiring Manager talking about the position and their product, as well as a discussion about my background and interests. Followed by an on-site interview in headquarter, which includes 6 rounds of talking with different engineers in the team and also HR. People are very nice and patient. Got offer two days later.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about C++ knowledge, OO design, OS aspect details.   Answer Question

Test Automation R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

My PHD advisor referred me and I got a telephone interview from Synopsys.
    The hiring manager of the R&D group telephoned me.
    First he described the position to me (test automation R&D).
    Then he asked me several questions ranging from C++ to circuits.
    Last he wanted to know when I can start working.
    Haven't heard from them after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What did you do in your past internship? What's your major contribution?
      How much codes do you write every week?
      Which is better, multiple if statement or switch statement?
      What is static variable in C++?
      Explain call by reference and call by value.
      Explain setup time and hold time.
      If Vdd drops, how does it affect the performance of a transistor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Multiple rounds of F2F interviews in one day. Three in the morning, three in the afternoon. Interviewers are very friendly. Some questions about digital design are asked. However, a strong software development experience is more important. Parking is free as far as I know (not parking ticket given).

Interview Questions

• Data structures (linked lists, trees, hash tables, graphs), C++, and basic digital design questions.   Answer Question