Synopsys Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

Synopsys Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Brief discussion with the recruiter n the hone followed by hour long technical interview with the hiring manager on the phone. After this I was invited onsite for about a 5 hour technical interviews with five team members.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was "C" questions on printf, UNIX signalling mechanism, multithreading and process model. Onsite was more algorithms and implement you own functions and find the problem with pre-written "C" functions, write a function to convert little endian data to big endian and solve some generic puzzles. I was also asked scripting questions on Perl.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I got an e-mail 3 days after applying online requesting a phone conversation. I had a phone conversation with HR asking my salary expectations. I stated the number I saw on glassdoor 78-80k. She said that was too high and how about something in the 60k RANGE. I said ok something in the high end of that range. I had a second phone interview with the team I'd be working with. A week later I had the in person interview. Prior to the interview they have you fill out an application so they can do a background check. I had a 3.5 hour interview with the team and the VP I'd be supporting. They offered me tea or coffee but no snack (eat before you go). I met with the HR lady first. She immediately wanted to discuss numbers. At first she offered 60k and I said I had been making 10k more than that at my last job. She then jumped to 65k and i said that was closer to what I wanted but needed to learn more about the position before committing to a number. She then said 68k plus 3k bonus and I said that sounded about right but let me learn more about the position. After that I met everyone I'd be working with and supporting. The day after the interview they asked for my references to call and conducted a background check which took over a week. They called all my references. HR called me again and said they were prepared me make me an offer I'd be very happy with. A week later I got an offer, 60k. I countered with pointing out my previous salary, my education, and my years of experience and asked about the numbers we discussed when we met in person (the 68k+bonus). She denied ever having that discussion with me. My jaw nearly hit the ground. She said she would have never discussed numbers with me without approval. I was shocked and it was off putting. I asked for 65k and she said the best she could do is 62k. I asked about RSUs and sign on bonus. She said RSUs are for engineers only. She said she would see if she could get me a sign on bonus to "sweetin the pot". Her denial of ever having that conversation with me about numbers pretty much made me not want the job. Funny, because a week later she called me and told me they could not give me what I wanted and withdrew the job offer. I was relieved.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you can't stand at work? Something that drives you crazy.   1 Answer

The negotiations were shady

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

It's a really nice EDA corporation. The location is good and working status is stable. They will give you onsite interview if you get through the phone interview. For the onsite interview, I met with the team members and direct manager.

Interview Questions

• Very general questions about data structures, some algorithms and describe the projects that you did.   Answer Question

Tax Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Met first with my director. When he determined that I would be a fit, he had me scheduled to come back to do 1 on 1 interviews with other members of the team. Met with 4 people in a row. Not too stressful.

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I gave a presentation before the interview, so the rest of the interview is mostly concerned with that. Also they try to relate the problems they try to solve with my research, quite comfortable conversation and nice people. Very basic programming question and everyone seems to be concerned with how many lines of code you have wrote.

Interview Questions

• Not a particular difficult one. Some of the problems they don't even know the answer, just show your logic of thinking, not necessarily the right result.   Answer Question

Negotiation

not much to negotiate for a fresh graduate

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process for the internship was pretty easy. I interviewed with a few manages and then they decided which group i would best fit into. I interviewed with the hiring manager first and then a panel of managers. Also talked with a corporate recruiter.

Interview Questions

• I applied for a technical position so they asked me technical questions   Answer Question

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

They sent an email to let me know the details of the job requirement and position. We set up a time for the phone interview. The first round of phone interview was conducted by the team lead and went on for about 30 minutes. Then the second round of phone interview was scheduled within the next hour. This was conducted by two members of the team.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly programming related. I was asked to write codes over the phone, which was difficult for me, considering my hardware background.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

It was a normal interview like any other company, not much special.

Negotiation

Not much

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Interviewed in person with about 3 people. One of them was a manager, and 2 engineers. Interview with the engineers went well, but the manager, who also asked me to write programs, didn't quite seem to understand the code. He asked about writing a program to find out the endianess of a machine. When he wasn't sure about the function, he asked "how else can you find out". I said the endianess is also defined in one of the system header files. He then asked "which one?", to which I replied "i don't the exact one, but perhaps machine.h or something like that. A find/grep would take a minute or so." He didn't seem to like the answer, or perhaps wasn't sure himself. In any case, I felt he tried to continue to ask questions just to come to one that I wouldn't be able to answer. He was truly a bad interviewer. The other engineers who were more technical didn't appear to be this way.

Release and Build Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Std. process in bay area - 1:1 interview with 4-5 team members on technical q's