TASER Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TASER Interview Questions

3.3

Inside Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TASER (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online - process took about two weeks. Received an email from another Engineer that would pass my application down to HR if I passed (I guess I didn't)- Everything was over the phone. Really nice and polite. In between answering my education and experience, but he would bring up a technical question. It was a lot of infrastructure questions. I'm more of a software developer.

Interview Questions

• Sell me our SaaS solution. Differences between IPV4 and IPV6, how would you explain a router and a switch to someone that doesn't know IT. Explain VLAN - What's the HTTP and HTTPS port. give me the positives on SaaS.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TASER (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Technical phone screen using collabedit and in-person interview loop of whiteboard coding exercises for Evidence.com.

Sadly, the Axon office in Seattle is predominantly an ex-microsoftee "bro" camp of lemmings still unintelligently misusing the out-dated and largely irrelevant (beyond recent college grads) CS Jeopardy! trivia contest "process".

Literally no comprehension of a candidate's directly applicable, proven, real-life experience.
    Discard / tase your resume before entering this office.

They are looking for recent college grads / people that worked at GAM companies and like to re-invent a new wheel each month - depending on which direction the constantly changing wind blows from management.

Everyone here described "constant change" as the key characteristic of the office...

Disorganized office - in retrospect, this is clearly visible in the job descriptions - they have no idea what they are doing (nor really what they are going to do) in this office.

Low quality system design - constantly breaking down.

Several interviewers seem to have no knowledge of OO basics - they do want people that enjoy hacking things together as quickly as possible.
    Basically, this is a prototyping shop since they prefer to use as many different technologies over time as possible.

You may hear some questionable or obtuse comments from interviewers like "ActiveMQ can only process 6 messages/sec because of the complexity of the AMQP protocol" or "It's really difficult to pass function pointers in Java."

One of the "senior" interviewers seems intentionally difficult to communicate with.
    I.e., likes to say "yup, yup, got you" but clearly doesn't understand basic explanations of things until several repetitions have been made.

Cyclical Taser & Axon business is driven by violent events, major patent infringement lawsuit against Taser in progress, and now alleged bribes, jobs, & trips given to public officials to land contracts - news of this last year as well it appears. Search on "Taser bribes".

Where there's smoke...

Interview Questions

• Phone screen: Best way to search 50K files for a phone number that would be needed "soon", within 2 days.
      Collabedit coding exercise: convert Roman numeral strings to integer.
      Use of a real IDE (copy & paste to out-dated collabedit window) not allowed.   Answer Question
    • Basic design exercise: design a system to replace their indexing service which collects data from micro-services and feeds it into SOLR (future: Elastic Search because reportedly Solr indexes go bad & don't support re-indexing)
      - feed any updates to relevant data stores quickly into SOLR / Elastic Search
      - include process (re-indexing service / logic) to collect all xx million records from micro-services and feed into SOLR / ES
      - what is the "data contract" for a micro-service to support the re-index process   Answer Question
    • Whiteboard coding exercise:
      - create a key, value LRUCache with set/get methods
      - make the internal search (for update) faster   1 Answer
    • Whiteboard coding exercise (trivia from the Jeopardy "Graph category"):
      - write code for a 3-letter "word ladder" to find the length of the shortest sequence to get from "hit" to "cog" (if there is a valid sequence) where only one letter in the word can be changed with each step through the words in the "set".
      start = "hit"
      end = "cog"
      set = ["hot","dot","dog","lot","log"]
      expected path: hit -> hot -> dot -> dog -> log -> cog   1 Answer
    • Whiteboard coding exercise (more trivia from the Jeopardy "Graphics processing category"):
      - write code for a function to copy a rectangle in an image from one location to another
      - this is like moving a window in a window manager, but the original window image can be left there
      - inputs: char [][] image, Rectangle (x,y,width, height) toCopy, Point (x,y) destination
      - image character array is ok for illustration purposes
      - 0,0 in top, left
      - do basic copy process
      - what happens when the destination is inside the rectangle to copy?
      - when does the original data get damaged?
      - add logic to copy the rectangle properly (prevent damage to the image data)
      - how to erase the original rectangle from the image
      - this was referred to as the "bit blit" algo - but am not finding a decent example of code for this on the web at first glance

Whiteboard coding exercise (even more irrelevant trivia):
      - write code to solve 9x9 Sudoku (brute force frowned on)   1 Answer

Junior Developer Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TASER (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

I did a phone screening interview with Taser International. The interviewer asked me some behavioral questions such as tell me a little bit a bout yourself, etc. and one technical question in that I have to write java code to check if a permutation of a string can be a palindrome. The interview was approximately an hour.

Interview Questions

• Check if a permutation of a string can become a palindrome.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TASER in January 2016.

Interview

I applied for TASER through my university. After a couple of weeks, I was contacted by a recruiter to do a technical phone interview for an hour. The interviewer was friendly and had asked me to solve a technical question that related to a project I wrote in my resume. I wasn't able to solve it in the time allotted.

Interview Questions

• Solve bitblt. I believe the interview said this is meant to be a standard coding question. In bitblt, you want to copy a part of an image and paste it somewhere else on the image.   Answer Question

Marketing Position Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at TASER.

Interview

HR will reach out to you to set up a phone interview with the person you will be reporting to. The phone interview is about 20-30 minutes basically going over your resume.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself 50 years from now?   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at TASER (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process started with a friendly phone screen. Immediately after I received an email to visit the Seattle office for onsite interviews. Once the date was set I received a tentative interview schedule including the team members I would be meeting. The office has a futuristic entrance where the main doors open up into this elevator sized chamber. Once inside you use an IPad to page your contact who will then open up the doors and let you into the office space.

Upon arrival I entered the dimly lit chamber and immediately ran into several people inside waiting to go into the office area. The space is small and dark with no seating so if the contact doesn't pick you up immediately it may become uncomfortable or claustrophobic to some. One of the individuals inside started a conversation with me and it turns out she was there interviewing for the same role. Perhaps if we were waiting in a lobby together it would have been less awkward. Instead we were in this space for more than 10 minutes forced to chat about our background and experiences. I'm not sure if this was planned but for me it was very uncomfortable. Finally, someone let us in who was not our contact and we were able to sit down for a minute. Instead of getting a tour of the building as planned (to ease into the interviews) it looks like they were still trying to work out the order of interviews. I found this again to be awkward. It took some time to relax during the first interview; however, the day improved. The questions for the most part were basic and not too difficult. There were a few creative thinking questions thrown in that I wasn't personally fond of. Many of the employees have Amazon backgrounds so the processes and culture are very similar.

Interview Questions

• If you could design an elevator what would it look like?

It's lunchtime and the entire office goes at the same time creating a 30min wait for the elevator...how would solve the problem? (Using stairs is not an option).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TASER (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

I submitted the resume, then after a week or more, I received a email saying they want to move on. So I scheduled the next week's interview. I was asked to take a 30 min interview. The questions is easy, but I screwed it up. The interviewer asked technical question first then a few behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• Let check the Tic-Tac-Toe board which side win?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at TASER (Seattle, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied through referral and got called for a telephone interview. The screening was easy and answered all questions with optimal solutions. Maybe I did not get selected because I used a Hashtable instead of a set for the second question. I had a feeling the interviewer was doing his own work as I was writing code for the problem.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TASER in November 2015.

Interview

Interview process took about 3~4 hours. Basic technical and behavioral questions. Be sure to know inside and out about company's product and be prepared to discuss any technical projects that you have conducted in great detail.

Interview Questions

• Design the most efficient 4 elevator system with 100 floors   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied through my university career site. Initial (very short) phone screen with CFO and then a technical phone interview (mechanical engineering). Be prepared to talk about your experiences. Ask good questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company. Why do you want to work here.   1 Answer