THQ Interview Questions | Glassdoor

THQ Interview Questions

2.8

Video Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at THQ (Agoura Hills, CA).

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I got asked about my experience and that's it.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, they told me how much they paid and I accepted.

Associate Creative Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at THQ (Agoura Hills, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

I had a brief interview with HR (who was really nice) and then an on-site interview with the Creative Management team. Following that interview, I was given 'homework' to play and write an executive summary on the development process that the game went through. The homework was essentially proof that I had the skills for the job, and it took me a week to complete.

Interview Questions

• The strangest/most fun question was to create a level with 3 random items. I believe the three items were a hat, a rope, and a crab claw.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at THQ (Kirkland, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

A written programming pre-screening test, which was not difficult. The onsite interview lasted for several hours, with multiple groups, but was fairly informal with a mixture of reviewing my resume, standard interview "describe a time you did X", and white board style questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe the implementation of a pathfinding algorithm.   Answer Question

Game Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at THQ (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2010.

Interview

THQ normally chooses to hire from the local art schools or through using a temporary staffing agency. All hires have some computer or media arts background along with an interest in video games but not necessarily experience in playing them. THQ does not immediately hire someone for permanent game testing positions, everyone starts off as a temp and receives training. As a temp as permanent positions become available a separate interview process is required for consideration.

Everyone is very friendly and fun loving. You MUST have a sense of humor to work here and be able be a team player. Fun office wide activities and contests are always going on to participate in during free time. It is a fun generally laid back atmosphere but they do watch how much work you accomplish.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite game? Are there any game you would NEVER play?   2 Answers
    • If you have checked a level in a game you were working on and was not able to find any bugs what would you do?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Agoura Hills, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at THQ (Agoura Hills, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

HR contact was somewhat slow to respond. However, she seemed very pleasant in my interactions and communications with her. The interviewers were professional and friendly. They were experienced in their fields. The offices were decorated with characters from the company and the office decor made the company seem fun. I could sense, however, that the company was very political.

Interview Questions

• What courses did you take in school that were related to this field?   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at THQ (Austin, TX) in June 2008.

Interview

I was recommended to a recruiter by a colleague, who called me and had a short conversation, mainly asking about my interest in the position, willingness to relocate etc. After that, the lead programmer for the project called me, it was a 45-60 minute interview that went over basic programming questions, mostly technical, not problem solving. After that, I was invited to the office for a half-day of interviews with different sets of people from the programming teams. These questions were more open-ended, problem-solving type questions. Less than a week later, that first recruiter called me back and offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• In C++, what is the benefit of a forward class declaration over simply including a header file?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I probably didn't aim high enough, as I was first to say a number, and they accepted that first salary recommendation.

Director of WWQA Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at THQ in August 2007.

Interview

HR: Very good, screen process included 10 years background and salary requirements.
    Hiring manager: Asked a ton of basic, easy questions concerning quality assurance. Seemed like they wanted someone as the fall guy instead of someone looking to improve the processes and department. Declined offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would test a game with a fault input device   Answer Question

Money was not enough for the position

Localization Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at THQ.

Interview

Applied via web site, got my LinkedIn profile visited by a hiring person, got a phone call back from HR and scheduled a phone interview with a hiring person shortly after that. The interviewer was very nonchalant, asked general questions, wasn't really interested in my qualifications from the start.

Executive Producer Interview

Interview

Went very well. Met entire team clicked well

Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at THQ in July 2011.

Interview

Initially met with technical lead and was asked a series of technical questions. Then met with other technical staff and senior company managers where I was asked additional questions relating to previous employment, interests, and skills relating to the position. The people were very nice, casual environment, and a work culture that emphasized communication.