TIAA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

165 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Actuarial Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TIAA (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

First there was a phone call interview (15-20 mins) and then the next level was a meeting with four directors (25-30 mins each). In general they ask questions about your resume and a few standard behavioral situation questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation of time crunch   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation facing risk   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to persuade a group of an idea that's against their thought   Answer Question
    • If you receive $1 for every second, how long will it take to get one million and then one billion dollars?   1 Answer
    • How would you figure out how many gallons of water are used in a day in a certain building? There was a measurement of 50 gallons for 10 seconds at 12pm.   1 Answer

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Interview

Applied online and promptly received a request for a phone interview. The interview seemed very scripted and the "recruiter" seemed to be well versed in her script and outside of that seemed ill equipped for any meaningful conversation. The position screamed of micromanagement. Sure they "give" you a book but it was clear all they cared about was getting new dollars into TIAA. After working in the industry for a decade I know there are clearly other places with better product offerings to attract new dollars. I had many questions about the existing book and how they are serviced and the recruiter kept coming back to gathering more assets from outside of TIAA. There was very little conversation about my background, accomplishments or what I can bring to TIAA it was all about bringing assets to TIAA. Prior to my call I had researched other posts on Glassdoor and it is clear the book they assign you is in the hundreds of households. For one person to adequately service 400 plus households there is not copious time left for new business prospecting. One thing I did notice is that many people in this role do not last longer than a couple of years. If it was such a great deal I suspect people would not leave. By the end of the call I decided to let the recruiter know that the position was not for me.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult about their questions.   1 Answer

Financial Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at TIAA (Denver, CO) in June 2017.

Interview

First, had phone discussion with the hiring recuriter. Then was accepted for the pre-recorded video interview. Then was selected for the background check and in person interview. It was a two person panel style interview where they had to stick to "the script" and took notes on the pre-printed interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a major obstacle with technology or software? Describe.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you said or did something that had a negative outcome.   Answer Question
    • What is one of your proud customer service moments?
      They followed-up by asking if I had any push-back from management while resolving the customer issue.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you solved a problem, and owned it (it was a wordy question, but that was the gist of it).   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TIAA (Charlotte, NC) in March 2017.

Interview

Great internal recruiter - very friendly and went straight to the point. Targeted how specific job requirements aligned to my background. Described in detail the expectations of the hiring manager and requested details of my job experience that matched those expectations.

Corporate Development Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

Resume screening, phone interview, and then in person meeting. The phone interview is not technical at all. all behavioral questions, and if you're coming from a banking background, they will most likely to ask you why you're making the move from the financial services industry.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to move from investment banking to a corporate job?   Answer Question

Financial Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TIAA (Denver, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

There was a video interview where you would be asked certain company and job related questions. Followed by a series of questions to test certain cognitive functions. Also what seemed like an aptitude test. I would recommend for anyone to take an hour or two to finish the whole process.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an angry customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Hiring manager spoke mostly about who they were and not who I am or what I am trying to accomplish in my career. Description is very different from what website says. Not attractive as it looks on paper. Hiring is a two way street, there should be a healthy conversation and not a lecture during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about about why we should hire you?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter regarding the position I had applied for. I found the recruiter to be very pushy and unpleasant. Straight off, he said he could tell I was nervous (aren't most people?) and demanded I stop being nervous. He grilled me on job duties I had done more than a decade ago (that had nothing to do with the job I was interviewing for) and when I couldn't give specific examples on situations as I couldn't remember back that far, he got very irritated. He said the hiring manager would be even more demanding than he was, so I better spend time trying to remember every task I had done for every job I had ever had and be prepared to give very long and specific examples for each task. He said I was very poor at doing phone interviews and basically implied that it's a good thing I had him as my savior to help "coach" me on how to interview. Interesting, since I've gotten plenty of jobs with my style of interviewing and most people would probably be put off by any recruiter who acted like him.

The recruiter emailed me about a week later stating the hiring manager wanted to meet and the recruiter wanted to have a call with me before that to make sure I was prepared to interview his way. No thanks. I declined both the call and in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• He didn't ask anything that is normally asked. He made demanding statements more than anything.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TIAA (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

I attended an interview on UNCC's campus. There was one guy out in the lobby that initially talked to you. After that, I went in to a room with two interviewers. They asked general behavioral questions and no technical questions.

Interview Questions

• "Describe a time when ___ happened. How did you go about it?"   Answer Question

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

TIAA's interview process for Wealth Management Advisor is thorough, with about separate interviews. Some phone interviews and some in person. They look for a recruit to have a passion for helping clients and put significantly higher emphasis on it than other firms.