TIAA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TIAA Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2017

2.9

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TIAA in October 2016.

Interview

Walked in and was told interviewers would be late(this is already 5 minutes after my scheduled time), so I spoke with 2 alumni briefly about their experience. 10 minutes later I am being escorted into the interview room.
    Interview felt more like a resume review than an interview. Both interviewers(both technical and non technical) took turns looking at my interview and asking behavioral questions. No technical questions were asked throughout the process. After going over the resume, we briefly spoke about the company but before we could talk about the internship, I was rushed out due to running out of time. Overall, between the lack of interview feeling and being rushed, this left a bad taste with me.

Interview Questions

• Walk me though your toughest challenge you faced.   Answer Question
    • What made you interested in TIAA?   1 Answer

Accelerated Wealth Management Advisory Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TIAA (Denver, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

The Interview was pretty straight forward, a lot's of situational questions. But the interviewer was keep moving away from the main topic of the conversation and I had a hard time to catch it.

Interview Questions

• Why wealth management? Why TIAA? What is your passion? (Tell me about yourself)   Answer Question

Senior Unix Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TIAA (Denver, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview was very good on technical and face to face. Mostly they are looking for AIX and Linux admin and team coverage for late nights. Had with team and manager took interview and later went onsite for other screen tests. Background test they did and mostly every thing covered.

Interview Questions

• All unix related and personal and background.   1 Answer

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TIAA (Pittsburgh, PA) in August 2016.

Interview

This was an absolute mess from start to finish. I wish I’d have saw the reviews for the position and the hiring process here before even taking the recruiters phone call. I could have saved my time and PTO.

5 interviews. In person interviews were disorganized and frequently late. 4 people involved in the process and no one seemed to communicate. This was the only time in my life I have been happy to not be selected for a job. It tells you something when only 23% of current WMA's recommend applying for this 6 figure position.

I was contacted by a recruiter in May for the WMA job. I initially glanced past it because I am happy with my current job but a 95k base + bonus was hard to ignore. My screening with the recruiter went well and I was contacted by TIAA's staffing to set up an in person interview. Took the afternoon off and went down to meet the director. 20 minutes late, she finally came out to greet me. Oh well, I though she is probably a busy person. The interview went well and she told me that I would be hearing from another director in the next week. He actually called within the week and that also went well. Then it was silence for another 2 weeks, then the staffing agent emailed to set up a role play with the director again.

I emailed the director thanking her for having me back in and asking if there was any case information to review before the meeting. I then heard nothing for 5 days. Again this interview started almost 20 minutes late, then she gave me her role play sheet instead of the one meant for me. The role play went well with me examining the case and coming up with solutions to some glaring holes in the fictional client’s plan. She then told me how their planning process works, you are basically there to ask questions and delve into the clients personal life and then send off the information for others to put together the plan. She then coached me about their "more personalized" way of planning. Asking questions about hobbies, family members and basically off financial planning topics. I received the "coaching" well and went back over the role play. As another reviewer stated, they do this so that they can see your "coach ability". I again did well and she complimented me on my questioning and ability to take feedback and apply it immediately.

She told me that I did very well and she was excited to move forward. She said that I would hear from her boss for another interview in 1 or 2 weeks and that if I did not hear from him to email her. She said she is very bad about returning emails as I had seen and to make sure I contacted her if I did not hear from him so she could move the process along. A week passed and then 2 so I email her, nothing. Another week goes by and I email her again, nothing. So I start reading reviews about the actual position as I did not realize you can search by individual position here. Terrible. I had read a few of them before but had not saw all the WMA reviews together before. One guy compared it to working in North Korea and the rest seemed to be just as glowing. I thought to myself, even if I do get this offer, I am going to have to think long and hard about taking it and have a serious discussion with the director.
    I called the staffing agent to ask her if she had heard anything. She apologized and said that the managing director was notorious for her poor communication and that she would reach out to her and email me. Another week went by and still no email so I called again. She apologized again and said that the managing director still hadn't go back to her. A week later I got the canned" we regret to inform you" email. Frankly I was relieved. I currently work for one of the best employers in the country and number one in my city for financial services. After this mess of a process, I was turned off to their whole organization, and after reading some of the other reviews here, it seems that many people have had similar experiences with them across the country.

I still see the open position on their career page that has been open since last December. Does it really take them 10 months and 12 interviews before they hire someone? Are they looking for the purple squirrel, super selective in their hiring for a firm that current advisors seem to hate working for, or was their ever a position to begin with.

If I had it all to do over, I would have just told the recruiter that I was not interested.

TIAA here is some advice, there is a talent shortage of approx 20k advisors a year in this business and the average advisor age is 56 years old currently. You need to do something first to address your current advisors based on the reviews I have seen here and then work on your hiring process if you want to get quality advisors to come to your firm.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a co worker or manager?   Answer Question

In-House Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TIAA (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was intense, where I spoke with about 5 employees. All had great experiences and it was clear that they wanted me to be a good fit for the company as much as I wanted to the company to be a good fit for me.

Interview Questions

• How did my hobbies relate to what I want to do with my career   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TIAA in August 2016.

Interview

Strong referral from current employee. Initial phone screen scheduled very quickly. Follow up hiring manager call lasted 1hr+, good rapport, expectation to move forward in process. Long delay in their follow up, no response from anyone until standard "thanks, but no thanks" email came from HR system. Zero feedback was quite surprising given level of role and employee referral. Companies need to realize this kind of poor communication and process management leaves a bad impression and hurts their brand.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

The process took about 1-2 months. First there was a conference call, then a face to face interview. The process was not at all hectic, but the recruiters made things a lot easy.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of personality and scenario questions   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

Long 45 day interview process, that consisted of thorough question and answer sessions that often ran close to two hours in length. These were conducted on the telephone, in person, and through video conference.

Interview Questions

• It's not so much the questions, which are fairly standard, but going back over your answers will follow ups and more specificity.   Answer Question

Financial Services Consultant-Academy Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at TIAA in July 2016.

Interview

Small panel interview with two people . Interviewer asked me to describe my previous job role as well as why I chose their company and my knowledge of the FSC Academy . Interview lasted about 20 minutes .

Interview Questions

• Q. Why did you choose TIAA ?
      Q. Describe how you handled a situation where you faced conflict and provide details .
      Q.What is the name of the TIAA CEO ?
      Q. Describe a time in previous role when you had to be creative ?
      Q. Do you have any questions?
      1 Answer
    • What is the name of the TIAA CEO ?
      Q. Describe a time in previous role when you had to be creative ?
      Q. Do you have any questions?
      Answer Question

Financial Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (Charlotte, NC) in July 2016.

Interview

It all happened pretty swiftly... I didn't even receive a call just a email saying that if I would like to move forward there was a dial in number to speak about benefits and more about the position. It was a group call.. After we had the chance to ask questions about the salary and the position and if you were still interested respond to the email with the time you would like to interview. All correspondence was by email. They schedule my interview and confirmed via email. I went in and interviewed in front of 2 people. It took maybe 2-3 business days and they sent me an email with an offer letter. The salary increase by about 4K once the testing is completed.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral situational questions. They are trying to see if you have the ability to learn. You have to pass 4 different state licensing test.   1 Answer