TIAA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TIAA Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2017

2.9

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

The interview was straight forward and transparent. The recruiters and hiring managers were all nice and professional. A few star based questions but mostly just a conversation about your experience and the role. They wanted to make sure it was a good fit for the both of us. Overall a good experience and I am glad that I applied. I recommend TIAA. Good people to work with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation but they were open to a slight increase in base salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TIAA (Miami, FL).

Interview

I applied online through indeed on 1/18. I was later contacted by a recruiter on 1/21 to schedule the initial call. The first call took place with the same recruiter on 1/27. She asked me questions about my background, questions about my current employment, who my typical clients are, how long I have been in the industry, why TIAA-CREF, and then explained the hiring process (which is 9-10 weeks). She told me she thought I would be a great fit for the position and said I should hear from them within the next week. Later that day (1/27) I was contacted by another recruiter to setup a call with the hiring manager, which took place on 2/02 and lasted about 45 minutes. The hiring manager told me he felt I would be a great fit and said the next step would be a face-to-face meeting at his local office, then after the face-to-face I would have another call with a peer hiring manager from another office. They skipped the face-to-face meeting at the local office and had me spend another 45 minutes with another hiring manager which took place on 2/09. Next on 2/16 they had me complete their background questionnaires, credit check and background check forms. After passing the background check I was scheduled for a face-to-face role-play on 2/29. On 2/22 I was called by the second recruiter stating the role-play was today and NOT on the 29th. After proving to the recruiter by forwarding him his emails that the role-play was never scheduled for 2/22 and in fact 2/29 was the date, they told me they would do their best to keep it scheduled for 2/29. A week later (on 2/29) I went to the local office and completed the role play (which lated about an hour and a half). During the role-play I was handed a sheet that had information that would be obtained through the TIAA-CREF database and information that would be potentially obtained through a discovery call. I had to then act out how my first meeting would go. After the role-play I was given feedback from the hiring manager and his peer (who viewed the role-play via webcam as an observer). They told me they would like me to come back for a second role play on 2/29 and then contacted me again on 3/10 saying they are going to pursue other candidates and asked that I reapply later in the year for a different position. My overall experience went well although I was devastated that I was not offered the position or even the chance to come back for a second role play. I would recommend this company to anyone who is willing to go through a long process and jump through all their hoops. My final advice is not to place all your eggs in their basket. Best of luck to anyone/everyone else that wants to pursue a WMA career with TIAA.

Interview Questions

• Why TIAA-CREF?
      What do I know about TIAA-CREF?
      Describe a time when I had to deal with an upset customer and how did I overcome the situation?
      Explain a time when I failed and how did I overcome it?
      What challenges do I think a WMA advisor would face?
      What would I do in the first 90 days IF hired?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TIAA (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Once I got past the initial phone interview I was called in for a 2 hour interview. I learned about the company and met with other admins there.

A few days later I received an email saying I made it through to the next round. I filled out all the information for the background check and everything was going good until everyone I was in contact with ghosted me. HR was saying they were waiting for that particular office to schedule a second interview.

I kept emailing and calling for a month and after a while they just stopped answering. Never had that happen before. I still don't know what happened to this day.

IT Technical Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TIAA (Charlotte, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

They are not professional on their interviews, they should have said no from the beginning. The process is long and their expectations on the interviewee are sky high. I considered my interview to be excellent, answering all their questions about team work, personal experiences and analytical skills. There are 5 people interviewing one after the other, and some were nice (3 of them) and the other 2 were not that much. At the end they gave me false hope because they told me: YOU DID AN EXCELLENT INTERVIEW, HOWEVER WE CANNOT OFFER YOU A JOB because basically all of the other candidates did better than you, I mean, what kind of crap is that?? Seriously, I felt like I was the backup in case one of the other candidates didnt accept the offer, that's UNPROFESSIONAL by any means, they should have just told me no and I would have accepted their decision, but the fact that they said that my interview was excellent is what threw me off. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

There were five interviews with three Directors and the Managing Director. Four of the five were completed over the phone with the first interview taking place at the office with my direct supervisor. The interview process was fairly straightforward. The second interview involved a role play over the phone between the Director and myself. The Director was acting as a potential client. It went well.

Interview Questions

• Past income for the last two years? Why are you looking to make a move? What does your typical work week look like? Could you explain how you helped a client? What is your greatest achievement? What is your biggest disappointment?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I interviewed at TIAA (Charlotte, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online through TIAA website. I got an email about 2 weeks after to set up an interview. The HR that emailed me was in NYC but I interview at their Charlotte office. The interview took about 2 hours with 2 managers from Charlotte, face to face interview and the other 2 from NYC, they video call in. The questions was pretty straight forward. They hard part was trying to communicate through video call with the other two managers in NYC.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time that you and your team are trying to reach the same goal. What challenges occurred and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Financial Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (Lewisville, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

The entire process was very enjoyable. The recruiter was extremely informative and attentive to my questions. I did a webcam interview and an online logic/personality test. I later went in to speak to a couple of managers who were very welcoming and personable where it didn't really feel like an interview but more of a conversation. I am really happy with the overall experience and service they provided.

IT Risk and Assurance Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (Charlotte, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with department manager. In person interview with department subordinate and manager peer, plus video conference interview with department manager. In person interviewers were extremely nice and accommodating, painting a great picture of the culture and processes of the company

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (Denver, CO).

Interview

Very long, lots of questions .

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at TIAA in February 2016.

Interview

Normally I don't write reviews. However, this entire interview process has been so badly executed that I felt the need to write about my experience as feedback for the company that they need to revise their process on how they move forward with candidates.

In addition, all of the people I interviewed with were very professional and asked good questions and answered my questions in a thoughtful manner.

I applied for the role through an internal candidate. In total I had 5 interviews over the course of three months. As I would moved forward in the process I would have a new HR person email me and ask to setup future interviews. Sometimes they would send agendas, sometimes they wouldn't. Other times the interview slot that I requested would disappear so it would take days to reschedule a new one. You get the idea.

Here are the two points that I want to say were the most irritating. During my last interview the person interviewing me had no idea which city I was interviewing for. Which was not their fault, and I was never given an explanation as to why this was brought up. After all I was interviewing in the city that I wanted to work in.

After all of this I receive a random LinkedIn email from an internal recruiter asking me if I wanted to apply for this role. I thanked them for their email and let them know that I had in fact applied for the role and had not heard back from anyone. Upon hearing this they immediately investigated and reached back to me to ask me more questions. Then asked me to provide them with more details as to the past interviews which I emailed to them later that day.

It has been four months since my initial interview. I reached back to the last recruiter asking for a decision timeline two weeks ago and have not received any response. Not even an out of office reply. The right thing to do would be to email the candidate and let them know that they have not made a decision yet or just tell them that they have decided not to move forward.

This is a very poor reflection on a reputable firm.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when there was an internal conflict and you had to overcome the conflict?   Answer Question