TIAA Wealth Management Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TIAA Wealth Management Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2017

3.1

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Interview

Applied online and promptly received a request for a phone interview. The interview seemed very scripted and the "recruiter" seemed to be well versed in her script and outside of that seemed ill equipped for any meaningful conversation. The position screamed of micromanagement. Sure they "give" you a book but it was clear all they cared about was getting new dollars into TIAA. After working in the industry for a decade I know there are clearly other places with better product offerings to attract new dollars. I had many questions about the existing book and how they are serviced and the recruiter kept coming back to gathering more assets from outside of TIAA. There was very little conversation about my background, accomplishments or what I can bring to TIAA it was all about bringing assets to TIAA. Prior to my call I had researched other posts on Glassdoor and it is clear the book they assign you is in the hundreds of households. For one person to adequately service 400 plus households there is not copious time left for new business prospecting. One thing I did notice is that many people in this role do not last longer than a couple of years. If it was such a great deal I suspect people would not leave. By the end of the call I decided to let the recruiter know that the position was not for me.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult about their questions.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for TIAA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Hiring manager spoke mostly about who they were and not who I am or what I am trying to accomplish in my career. Description is very different from what website says. Not attractive as it looks on paper. Hiring is a two way street, there should be a healthy conversation and not a lecture during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about about why we should hire you?   1 Answer

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at TIAA.

Interview

TIAA's interview process for Wealth Management Advisor is thorough, with about separate interviews. Some phone interviews and some in person. They look for a recruit to have a passion for helping clients and put significantly higher emphasis on it than other firms.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TIAA (Pittsburgh, PA) in August 2016.

Interview

This was an absolute mess from start to finish. I wish I’d have saw the reviews for the position and the hiring process here before even taking the recruiters phone call. I could have saved my time and PTO.

5 interviews. In person interviews were disorganized and frequently late. 4 people involved in the process and no one seemed to communicate. This was the only time in my life I have been happy to not be selected for a job. It tells you something when only 23% of current WMA's recommend applying for this 6 figure position.

I was contacted by a recruiter in May for the WMA job. I initially glanced past it because I am happy with my current job but a 95k base + bonus was hard to ignore. My screening with the recruiter went well and I was contacted by TIAA's staffing to set up an in person interview. Took the afternoon off and went down to meet the director. 20 minutes late, she finally came out to greet me. Oh well, I though she is probably a busy person. The interview went well and she told me that I would be hearing from another director in the next week. He actually called within the week and that also went well. Then it was silence for another 2 weeks, then the staffing agent emailed to set up a role play with the director again.

I emailed the director thanking her for having me back in and asking if there was any case information to review before the meeting. I then heard nothing for 5 days. Again this interview started almost 20 minutes late, then she gave me her role play sheet instead of the one meant for me. The role play went well with me examining the case and coming up with solutions to some glaring holes in the fictional client’s plan. She then told me how their planning process works, you are basically there to ask questions and delve into the clients personal life and then send off the information for others to put together the plan. She then coached me about their "more personalized" way of planning. Asking questions about hobbies, family members and basically off financial planning topics. I received the "coaching" well and went back over the role play. As another reviewer stated, they do this so that they can see your "coach ability". I again did well and she complimented me on my questioning and ability to take feedback and apply it immediately.

She told me that I did very well and she was excited to move forward. She said that I would hear from her boss for another interview in 1 or 2 weeks and that if I did not hear from him to email her. She said she is very bad about returning emails as I had seen and to make sure I contacted her if I did not hear from him so she could move the process along. A week passed and then 2 so I email her, nothing. Another week goes by and I email her again, nothing. So I start reading reviews about the actual position as I did not realize you can search by individual position here. Terrible. I had read a few of them before but had not saw all the WMA reviews together before. One guy compared it to working in North Korea and the rest seemed to be just as glowing. I thought to myself, even if I do get this offer, I am going to have to think long and hard about taking it and have a serious discussion with the director.
    I called the staffing agent to ask her if she had heard anything. She apologized and said that the managing director was notorious for her poor communication and that she would reach out to her and email me. Another week went by and still no email so I called again. She apologized again and said that the managing director still hadn't go back to her. A week later I got the canned" we regret to inform you" email. Frankly I was relieved. I currently work for one of the best employers in the country and number one in my city for financial services. After this mess of a process, I was turned off to their whole organization, and after reading some of the other reviews here, it seems that many people have had similar experiences with them across the country.

I still see the open position on their career page that has been open since last December. Does it really take them 10 months and 12 interviews before they hire someone? Are they looking for the purple squirrel, super selective in their hiring for a firm that current advisors seem to hate working for, or was their ever a position to begin with.

If I had it all to do over, I would have just told the recruiter that I was not interested.

TIAA here is some advice, there is a talent shortage of approx 20k advisors a year in this business and the average advisor age is 56 years old currently. You need to do something first to address your current advisors based on the reviews I have seen here and then work on your hiring process if you want to get quality advisors to come to your firm.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a co worker or manager?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TIAA (Tempe, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

I did a phone interview/screening and was contacted back within two weeks to interview with the onsite manager. I interviewed with the onsite manager and was told that I would hear back regarding next steps within a week or two. After two weeks I sent a follow up and never heard back. After about a month and a half I decided to try again just to get some closure and the recruiter stated they would get back to me within a day or so. I waited two weeks and followed up again, and a few days later I got a message that the manager wanted to proceed with other candidates. Based on other reviews this is not out of the normal.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic interview. Mostly about why you want to work for TIAA.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at TIAA (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Initial call is with an HR rep. They are the initial filter as with most company hiring processes. They will ask about your experience and what you do on a daily/weekly basis, your comfort with clients, your exposure to high net worth clients and your general knowledge of the position and the financial advising industry. They will go over how TIAA is different. Co has gone through a rebranding, updated their technology, and is looking to grow. In my phone call we also went over the opportunity for growth in my local area. They will ask your salary and may talk expectations of what/how compensation works at TIAA. They will also tell you the interview process is long, typically spanning 5+ interviews and 4-6 months so they can make sure you are a good fit culturally as well.

Interview Questions

• What is your current salary, how many client calls/meetings do you field per week.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TIAA (Miami, FL).

Interview

I applied online through indeed on 1/18. I was later contacted by a recruiter on 1/21 to schedule the initial call. The first call took place with the same recruiter on 1/27. She asked me questions about my background, questions about my current employment, who my typical clients are, how long I have been in the industry, why TIAA-CREF, and then explained the hiring process (which is 9-10 weeks). She told me she thought I would be a great fit for the position and said I should hear from them within the next week. Later that day (1/27) I was contacted by another recruiter to setup a call with the hiring manager, which took place on 2/02 and lasted about 45 minutes. The hiring manager told me he felt I would be a great fit and said the next step would be a face-to-face meeting at his local office, then after the face-to-face I would have another call with a peer hiring manager from another office. They skipped the face-to-face meeting at the local office and had me spend another 45 minutes with another hiring manager which took place on 2/09. Next on 2/16 they had me complete their background questionnaires, credit check and background check forms. After passing the background check I was scheduled for a face-to-face role-play on 2/29. On 2/22 I was called by the second recruiter stating the role-play was today and NOT on the 29th. After proving to the recruiter by forwarding him his emails that the role-play was never scheduled for 2/22 and in fact 2/29 was the date, they told me they would do their best to keep it scheduled for 2/29. A week later (on 2/29) I went to the local office and completed the role play (which lated about an hour and a half). During the role-play I was handed a sheet that had information that would be obtained through the TIAA-CREF database and information that would be potentially obtained through a discovery call. I had to then act out how my first meeting would go. After the role-play I was given feedback from the hiring manager and his peer (who viewed the role-play via webcam as an observer). They told me they would like me to come back for a second role play on 2/29 and then contacted me again on 3/10 saying they are going to pursue other candidates and asked that I reapply later in the year for a different position. My overall experience went well although I was devastated that I was not offered the position or even the chance to come back for a second role play. I would recommend this company to anyone who is willing to go through a long process and jump through all their hoops. My final advice is not to place all your eggs in their basket. Best of luck to anyone/everyone else that wants to pursue a WMA career with TIAA.

Interview Questions

• Why TIAA-CREF?
      What do I know about TIAA-CREF?
      Describe a time when I had to deal with an upset customer and how did I overcome the situation?
      Explain a time when I failed and how did I overcome it?
      What challenges do I think a WMA advisor would face?
      What would I do in the first 90 days IF hired?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

There were five interviews with three Directors and the Managing Director. Four of the five were completed over the phone with the first interview taking place at the office with my direct supervisor. The interview process was fairly straightforward. The second interview involved a role play over the phone between the Director and myself. The Director was acting as a potential client. It went well.

Interview Questions

• Past income for the last two years? Why are you looking to make a move? What does your typical work week look like? Could you explain how you helped a client? What is your greatest achievement? What is your biggest disappointment?   Answer Question

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at TIAA in February 2016.

Interview

Normally I don't write reviews. However, this entire interview process has been so badly executed that I felt the need to write about my experience as feedback for the company that they need to revise their process on how they move forward with candidates.

In addition, all of the people I interviewed with were very professional and asked good questions and answered my questions in a thoughtful manner.

I applied for the role through an internal candidate. In total I had 5 interviews over the course of three months. As I would moved forward in the process I would have a new HR person email me and ask to setup future interviews. Sometimes they would send agendas, sometimes they wouldn't. Other times the interview slot that I requested would disappear so it would take days to reschedule a new one. You get the idea.

Here are the two points that I want to say were the most irritating. During my last interview the person interviewing me had no idea which city I was interviewing for. Which was not their fault, and I was never given an explanation as to why this was brought up. After all I was interviewing in the city that I wanted to work in.

After all of this I receive a random LinkedIn email from an internal recruiter asking me if I wanted to apply for this role. I thanked them for their email and let them know that I had in fact applied for the role and had not heard back from anyone. Upon hearing this they immediately investigated and reached back to me to ask me more questions. Then asked me to provide them with more details as to the past interviews which I emailed to them later that day.

It has been four months since my initial interview. I reached back to the last recruiter asking for a decision timeline two weeks ago and have not received any response. Not even an out of office reply. The right thing to do would be to email the candidate and let them know that they have not made a decision yet or just tell them that they have decided not to move forward.

This is a very poor reflection on a reputable firm.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when there was an internal conflict and you had to overcome the conflict?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TIAA (Denver, CO) in February 2016.

Interview

Former TIAA employee, left 5 years ago with good standing, eligible for rehire. Referred by a current TIAA manager in another department. Phone screen with regional recruiter. I was well qualified but never offered an actual interview. Canned response from the recruiter - "Thank you but you were not selected."

Interview Questions

• Most questions were in regard to production numbers at my current firm.   Answer Question