TJ Maxx Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 7, 2017

1.6

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Fort Worth, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was a little bit of a hassle, it took about a week. But once I got interviewed, all the paperwork was done and then I got hours the next week. It was awesome.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TJ Maxx

Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview

Filled out app that I found online, then brought it in store and gave to an associate, got a call back from a manager, went into interview, was asked a variety of easy questions, was offered the job

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?
      What are your weaknesses?
      What does good customer service look like to you?
      Why retail?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Albany, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

They asked a few interview questions about me and the job description. They asked me if I was interested in the position, then broke down the hiring process after telling me they wanted to hire me.

Anonymous Employee in Parma, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Parma, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

Well, it took them a year to call after I put in an application. But the manager that interviewed me is super sweet and it was a very relaxed almost fun interview

Anonymous Employee in Massapequa, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Massapequa, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I turned in the application and was interviewed on the spot by a manager. After they checked my references I was offered the job. One tip I would give to someone applying is to contact your references beforehand and make sure they are expecting the call. They had difficulty reaching one of my references and it delaying my hiring by a week.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a fellow associate steal something?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (San Antonio, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied in person. Got a call a few weeks later asking if I was available for an interview. Initial interview had your average questions related to customer service and experience working with others. I was told they would call me to schedule a second interview. The second interview had some of the same basic questions from the first, but this time I was asked about my availability and asked to provide references. I received a call about a week later with a job offer. Within a week after the job offer I was scheduled for an orientation session. Overall, the entire process took around 3 weeks. The store likes to hire large groups of associates at once, so that was probably the reason behind the delay. Also no drug test.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at TJ Maxx in July 2014.

Interview

Easy hire. One interview with a management member. Basic questions. Name a good and bad customer exp you have exp in the pass. Etc. Need two verifiable references. Got a call about a month later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Boston, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

Filled out the application and interviewed the same day. Follow up was good. Met with the Manager who was very straight forward and very clear on expectations for success. Had a chance for tour of the store and brief discussion with other associate after being hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation as there are set rates

Anonymous Employee in Plattsburgh, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Plattsburgh, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

I didn't recieve a call until about a month after aplying. At the inteview they asked me about 5 questions, and if i would be willing to cashier because I had Merchendiser listed on my aplication. Hired me on the spot and I had orientation about 5 days later.

The dress code is pretty casual, but obviously a bit consevative with skirt length, no tak tops, and no blue jeans. Keep this in mind when dressing for the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They start all entry level assosiates at the same salary.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Austin, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Make sure you fill out the in store application. I filled out the online one and brought it in, and it just created a big mess. They ended up loosing a big part of it, and I ended up having to fill out a whole new application.

The interview was pretty easy, it was a group one. If they ask for volunteers or people willing to role play, I would definitely raise your hand and try to be noticed. Make sure you speak up, they were looking for that in all of their questions.

After the group interview, they brought some of us back for individual interviews. Basic questions, really only cared about previous retail experience and hours of availability.

**** You have to earn your hours, they are EXTREMELY STINGY WITH GIVING OUT HOURS TO NEW HIRES.

Interview Questions

• They asked where I wanted to be in 3 years. Its a retail job, who really cares?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They start everyone at 7.50/hr, with very FEW HOURS.