TJ Maxx Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 11, 2017

2.0

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Burlington, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

After submitting my application online through the app [Snagajob], I received a telephone call the next couple days for an interview.
    Met with the manager and retail associate in the back room/office at the TJ Maxx.
    Questions weren't too hard but you had to think. So have your answers ready with 1-2 examples each.
    Some examples are:
    Tell me about yourself?
    What does customer service mean to you?
    What does teamwork mean to you?
    When's the earliest you can start?
    Do you know anything about TJ Maxx?
    Do you have any experience in retail?
    Do you feel comfortable offering the TJ Maxx credit card to customers at checkout?
    The interview is about 30 minutes. You're asked to fill out a worksheet- job experience, etc.
    Don't forget to bring your resume and references!
    If you do get to the orientation- bring your SSI & ID card

2 days later the manager calls me and asks if I can come to orientation. 12 pm SHARP!

Interview Questions

• Q: What does costumer service mean to you?   1 Answer
    • Q: Tell me about a time you had a disagreement at work and how you solved it.   Answer Question
    • Q: Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Q: What does teamwork mean to you?   2 Answers
    • Q: What did you hate doing at [insert job] ?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I found the job posted on Indeed.com. I submitted my application online and received a call requesting an interview the next week. The company requires every applicant to answer specific questions, which the interviewer takes notes on during the process. Fairly typical interview questions. Tell me about yourself. Name a time when you didn't get along with a coworker. How do you define 'customer service'. How do you define 'teamwork'.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you didn't get along with a coworker and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Home Goods Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Morristown, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

Got an interview the day after I applied. Interview was short only took about 30 mins. Orientation was also brief. They showed me around the store and told me where I would be most of the time. You get a locker and code to punch in.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working with people that speak Spanish   1 Answer

Negotiation

Starting pay is $9, and after 6 months it bums up to $10

Merchandise Associate, Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Overall, very positive. It was a group interview with about ten other people. There were three people in charge who were asking us questions. I went in Monday and got a call on Friday saying I got the job! I have orientation on Tuesday! Just make sure to participate throughout the interview and ask questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Make sure to make eye contact throughout the interview. You should also participate a lot but do not disturb other people while they're speaking and Ask questions even if you already know the answer!

Stock Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TJ Maxx in October 2016.

Interview

it was good at times the questions got difficult because its my first ever job and i was so nervous but when i got in their i was comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Why are you the best for this job?   2 Answers

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

Very basic questions about past jobs and a few scenarios of "Name a time when...". Went over dress code and a few policies. Asked about availability and if I was able to work weekends. Talked about moving up in the company and how it's done from within.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eldersburg, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Eldersburg, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied for job, got call the same day. Interviewed the following day. Easy interview. Told manager I would not work Sat/Sun. She was fine. Said job she had in mind for me was M-F 7 am - 12 pm. Was offered job as long as my references were good. Set up orientation for following week. Showed up for orientation and was told was only able to reach 2 of my 3 references.. Lie.. none of them were called. Then was told I didn't have job because I wasn't available Sat/Sun. Said It would have been nice if I at least I would have received a phone call informing me. Had calls for interviews with different companies during the week that I thought had job at TJ Maxx so I told them I had job. VERY unprofessional Management! Eldersburg, MD Store

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a difficult situation? Basically all questions were very easy and hiring manager was answering them as I was tell my answer. What a joke!   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Bend, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

- I Submitted a T.J. Maxx application form in the Bend, OR store
    - I asked to speak with a manager
    - I attended a casual interview wearing smart/casual clothing
    - I answered a few basic questions during the interview
    - From talking with the managers, it is important that staff have relatively flexible schedules
    - I believe that past retail experience is preferred, but not essential

Interview Questions

• So, you have past retail experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ask questions! For example: if hired, what would a typical day look like? Pay? Hours?

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sumter, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Sumter, SC) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was average but short nonetheless and the interview was great. It was two managers and basically they liked my positive attitude, my very flexible availiability and what i've learned to do. Those are attributes you kind of want to go in with and also have knowledge of situations that might happen in the future. I got a call on Friday saying that I got the job after my interview on Tuesday. So it was a great positive experience and all of the staff are nice and welcoming.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter then set up face to face with DM. Had to drive 2 hours one way to his home store. Was told I would be paid mileage for the trip and almost 2 months later I still haven't received the check. I was told I would hear from him by the end of the week..another week passed and I emailed and then she called me and I was told the operations position was put "on hold" and they wanted to bring me in as an hourly assistant, I accept and she told me I would hear from the SM. A whole week goes by and I hear nothing so I email her and she says she will contact the DM and let me know...I never hear anything after another week. So I emailed DM directly and he says "I forwarded your resume to 3 stores to see if they have anything open"....so I was offered a position that did not exist. I have never heard back from anyone. Absolutely terrible experience and so unprofessional. I am still trying to get my mileage check.

Unprofessional