TJX Companies Allocation Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

3.4

42 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Allocation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TJX Companies in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email including an online personality test with a few math questions. Then a HireVue video interview where they ask you multiple questions at once with 30 seconds to prepare and only 3 minutes to answer.

Interview Questions

• Why TJX? What does an Allocation analyst do? describe a time when you had to answer a difficult problem? you have 42 large sweaters, there is a small to large ratio of 3:7, how many small sweaters are there?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TJX Companies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TJX Companies (New York, NY).

Interview

Step 1: A virtual interview in which you are asked about six questions and have to record yourself answering.
    Step 2: A group interview in which you play the role of an Allocation Analyst. First you work out the problem on your own for 30 mins, then you confer with your group to come up with a final plan.
    Step 3: Three in-person interviews with three different recruiters back to back on campus.

Interview Questions

• Which brands do you like seeing in our stores and which brands would you like to see?   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview

There were three interviews. One online, case, and behavioral. Overall the process moved pretty quickly. The case wasn't too hard and actually was kind of fun. Definitely enjoyed the process. Everyone was very nice and they really seem to care about their employees.

Interview Questions

• They ask you a couple mental math questions, but nothing too tricky! Know the company well. I got asked which product lines I would like to add to the store.   2 Answers

Allocation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview

First was a behavioral over video.
    Second was a group case study where two interviewers observed how you acted with others in the group setting.
    Third was at Headquarters and interviewed again for behavioral and skills by three different interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work for them
      What were my long term plans
      Skills I felt that I already had that fit the job
      What was my major
      Where did I live   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TJX Companies in October 2016.

Interview

I went through a video interview process with Hirevue. It asked about 6 questions, all behavioral and related to merchandising and planning. Next, I participated in a case interview where we allocated units of different merchandise based on sales data. There was plenty of information provided, and it was done individually for the first 30 minutes and with a group for the next 30 minutes.

Allocation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview

There were 3 interviews that took place. A video submission - 30 seconds to come up with the answer 1 minute to give answer. After that was a interview in a room with 5 other people applying for the same position. You have 30 minutes to fill out a sheet of paper on wear you would allocate clothing - you have bad and good locations to pick from. You then discussed with the other interviewees which places would be better than others. The last interview was at the Framingham HQ for a 6 hour long meeting with 3 different people.

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Framingham, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

There were two separate interview processes. One 'virtual' interview on HireVue and then an in person interview with three separate HR reps and an exercise in which you work solo and then discuss as a group.

Interview Questions

• Do you consider yourself a risk taker? If so, can you give an example?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Framingham, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was offered to come in to interview for the Corporate Merchandise Training Program (which leads an Allocation Analyst position). They make you take a video interview first where you just answer questions and your webcam records you (there is no one actually interviewing you). The questions are easy and there is one ratio question to answer that requires a calculator.

The interview day is around 6 hours long and there are others in your "group" also interviewing for the position. It involves a short introduction to the company first. Then you have to complete an allocation analyst "assignment" that involves allocating shirts to different locations, you have to provide a reason as to each decision and you have 30 minutes to do so. After the assignment, you meet up with fellow individuals interviewing for the position and you have to justify your decisions as a group and also give reasoning. Recruiters watch this discussion and take notes on what everyone is saying. After that you get to meet an allocation analyst who speaks to everyone as a group and you have the chance to ask any questions.

The final round is interviewing with three different recruiters. Each recruiter is nice but has different methods. Some are in your face, laid back, or ask very specific/numerical based questions. Overall, I found the experience easy but exhausting/stressful since you go from one interview to the next. Also they have the tendency to repeat all the questions. It makes no sense to me. One recruiter even stated to me that they would be consistently repeating questions. I highly recommend looking up behavioral questions and coming up with answers prior to the interview since the questions come at you at quite a fast pace.

Overall, I find the whole process educational but the interview process seems bizarre to me. The questions are not entirely related to the position and it seems like they just got random behavioral questions off google. The position is very analytical based so I suggest basing your answers around analysis.

I highly recommend finding a referral within the TJX company. Someone who is an allocation analyst, or someone with higher power within the company. Everyone who I have spoken to has had a strong referral source when applying. Sad, but true.

Interview Questions

• When have you used analysis in your work and or school life to solve a problem?
      Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
      What has been your approach to your job search? What other companies have you applied to or are looking at?
      Tell me about a time when you failed at something and how did you handle it?
      Explain a time when you had to make a controversial decision that may not have been supported by others?
      What accomplishment are you most proud of?
      Describe a time you had to push an unpopular idea.
      Describe a situation that you went into without all the information you needed.
      When was a time you have had to be a part of a group that someone was not pulling their load?
      What is your biggest weakness?
      What are your strengths?
      Why do you want to work for TJX?
      What interests you about the CMTP?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Framingham, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume, then received instructions the next morning for the next step which for me was a one-way interview via HireVue. I had 30 sec to look at the questions and 2 min to answer about 8 questions. A few days later I received an invitation to come in for the in-person assessment day at the home office in Framingham MA. My travel was arranged for me, transport and hotel and all, and I flew down the evening before. The day was long, from 8am-12pm of nonstop interviewing. We got a presentation about the company, then did an exercise where we individually allocated mens polo shirts and afterwards compared answers as a group to allocate them together. Then we were able to ask an allocation analyst questions, and finally had individual interviews. Those were all behavioral questions and there were 3 rounds of 30 min each with 1 rest round. We then were escorted out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Framingham, MA).

Interview

The interview process was an overall terrible experience. It starts with a one-way the video interview. This is a HORRIBLE way to assess potential employees. It's incredibly awkward to record your answers. They only give you 30 seconds to read the question but then 3 minutes to answer. People need more time to read the question because auditory and visual processing is very different. I thought I bombed the video interview but a week later I received an email to come in for an interview day. The interview day was equally intimidating. I was one of 8 people. We all had varying backgrounds. Most were very young, right out of college or even graduating in Dec. Only a few of us had graduated (I actually have a Masters). They start off with a presentation and then an opportunity to ask questions to a current allocation analyst. Then we worked individually on an allocation case study. It was relatively straight forward but it was a lot of reading for the amount of time they give. No heavy math except for some addition and subtraction. Next they broke us into two groups to discuss the case (and come to a consensus) in front of three current employees. Lastly, we have 3 fifteen minute interviews with these same people. The interview questions were all behavioral. I was emailed about 2 weeks later saying I didn't get the job. My guess is they want people right out of college. Of the 8 people at the interview, one person already worked for TJX in a different division, two had interned there, one was the granddaughter of their original HR manager, and another's former boss was currently working there. After finding this out, it felt like I didn't stand a chance. Also, the day ran for almost a full workday. Way too intense for essentially an entry level job but sadly if this is the career path you want, this is the only way to get in. My guess is they have a bunch of young kids doing the grunt work.

Interview Questions

• The case study asked you to allocate mens shirts based on previous sales.   1 Answer