TJX Companies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.7

Merchandise Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Framingham, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was emailed an invitation to take a Hire Vue interview which is a one way recorded interview consisting of 7 questions. If you've never interviewed this way, I recommend downloading the app, and practicing before even applying because it's really awkward, and I think it's a terrible way to assess one's capabilities. But this is how they do it, so. . . practice. There is unlimited time between questions, but only 30 seconds to read a multiple part question and 3 minutes to answer it. It took about a week for them to send an email saying I didn't make it to the next round, and I commend them for at least doing that so I wasn't sitting around waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you managed/worked with a group and they were not onboard with your ideas. How did you handle it? How did you get your ideas heard and accomplished?   1 Answer
    • There was an allocation ratio math question.   1 Answer

Allocation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Framingham, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online to the MDP and several days was asked to complete an online video interview. A month later, I was asked to fly up to the corporate office for a 5 1/2 hour "assessment day" which consisted of a presentation, group activity for allocating men's polo shirts, three back to back interviews, a job shadow, lunch, and a slideshow of the buildings. The process was labor intensive and time consuming, but I did not feel that they were serious about hiring me despite my excellent education and qualifications. The recruiters on assessment day asked me the exact same questions over and over again, many of which were too situation specific or irrelevant to an entry level position. It was very difficult not to be irritated and they would not hint at salary.

Interview Questions

• Where else have you applied or interviewed?   1 Answer
    • What do you think will be the biggest challenge for you in this position?   1 Answer

AC/MC Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Evansville, IN) in May 2014.

Interview

My first interview was over the phone...about 30 minutes or so. The next step was to walk and talk the DC with and HR generalist for an overview of the business. The final interview consisted of a half day session with 3 different members of senior management.

Interview Questions

• Nothing specific comes to mind, just be ready for situational type questions. A lot of 'what did you do when...' or 'what would you do if' type of scenarios. Also be ready to call out specific scenarios in your previous work experience that relate to what they are asking. I think they use a lot of canned questions, so it can be very nerve wracking. It was hard to pull out a situational example when you're on the spot like that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

My offer was for a higher salary than I requested. Benefits such as vacation and insurance were acceptable, so I didn't negotiate anything. I was pleasantly surprised to receive such a generous offer.

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2009.

Interview

The interview consisted of a round robin type of interview with standard interview questions in addition to questions involving job specific duties in loss prevention investigations.

Interview Questions

• Which other candidate do you think we should not consider? ( We were all internal promotions and went together)   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was pretty much a non-negotiation since it was a promotion but there is always room to move around when coming on board from the outside.

Merchandising & Buying Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TJX Companies (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

1 step CV and few questions
    2 step online tests
    3 step video interview
    4 step assessment centre.
    The first three steps were standard and I did not have problems. My assessment centre was quite traumatic. It lasted the entire day (8 am - 5 pm), I had an interview with HR, data exercise, job shadow, and two group interviews.
    The HR was very nice and relaxed, but prepare many examples about you personal and professional experiences.
    The first group interview was funny, just speak a lot and try to be the leader by taking notes of everyone's suggestions.
    The job shadow with a graduate of last year was terrible, she was everything but enthusiastic and did not give us any detail about the contract and carrier opportunities. Btw, this part is not evaluated.
    Data exercise was traumatic. I had to allocate the stocks of a product in different stores. Then, I reviewed my allocations with the merchandiser director of women clothes. She was very nice, smiling all the time. She challenged me with some question, and I gave very synthetic answers because she used to stop me after the first two sentences by telling all the time "good answer / yes this is what I wanted to hear / exact, you got it". So I was very confident that it was good. Well, guess what? When I received the feedback of my assessment centre, the HR told me that I did not give enough explanatory answers, and I did not react when she tried to challenge me. Well, if your interlocutor is stopping you telling that you are giving good answers, you believe that your answers are enough explanatory and don't try to add too many details, right? It was very unfair. Transparency and honesty are supposed to be core values of this company!
    The last group exercise was terrible, everyone was very nervous and we did not collaborate. Try to attract the attention of the people that are in the room with considerations about the customers, don't say anything like "I would not buy it, I don't like it, etc...". The feedback was that I did not speak enough and I was too focused on myself.

Interview Questions

• would you send 20 pairs of converse to the same store?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TJX Companies in April 2016.

Interview

After having filled out the application form, they invited me to complete some tests and one one-way recorded interview. They came back to me after 10 days more or less and I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• - What is the difference between merchandising and buying
      - How your friends would describe you
      Answer Question

Learning and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Watford, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of two stages (aside from the initial phone screening). The first interview lasts one hour and is mainly based on behavioural questions. The second stage is another interview with different stakeholders. The actual interview was led in a professional manner and it was a good experience. The reason why I rated the hiring process negatively is because I never heard from the recruiting team afterwards. They never contacted me to let me know the result of the interview and they didn't answer my emails or calls. Since then I've heard of two more people who were never contacted with a resolution after a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was that the length of the questions and the fact that they asked the follow up questions at the same time as the initial question. They were related to providing examples of when you worked as a team or challenged others' opinion.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Marlborough, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied to the position online and went in for an interview two weeks later. The overall process was very slow and took over a month to hear back with a final decision.

Merchandising Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Framingham, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Lengthy - generic . Required to complete a worksheet for allocating a specific piece of merchandise, followed by a group discussion to show how well you do working as a team

Interview Questions

• Behavioral and standard: "recall a time you were challenged"   Answer Question

Merchandising & Buying European Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TJX Companies (Watford, East of England, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Stage One - Online Assesment
    A verbal, numerical and logical reasoning test + HireVue video interview
    Stage Two - Assesment Centre
    (1) Allocation excercise
    You get data regarding to 15 stores and its historical sales data (last week sales, this week sales, last year sales, annual turnover of each store, week cover). Your task is to split 60 pair of shoes between those stores in the most efficient way. You could allocate min.5, max. 20 pairs to one store.
    After it is done there there is one - to - one with an Accessor to explain your allocation
    (2) 1-1 interview
    (3) Group excercise_1- at the begining of the group excercise everyone receives a role to be played by him. Each role has some kind of characteristic e.g. one person is a coach, another is a climber etc. You are all in the desert island (10 people). You have only 5 places in a rescue boat. You need to decide who is taking those places and who is staying on the island.
    (4) Group excercise_2 - there are 6 pairs of shoes in front of you. You are in group of 4 people. You need to rank all of those paris and decide which 3 of them will be in the offer of TK Maxx.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you know about off-price buying and how does it vary from the full price model?
      2. What was the last thing you bought in TK Maxx?
      3. What could we do to attract a wider client base?
      4. What do you think about store layout and is there anything I would like to change?
      5. The relevance of your degree and previous work experience
      6. Describe a situation when you have been determined
      7. When have you used analysis at your work?
      8. Tell me about a time when you failed and how did you handle it?
      9. What are you proud of?
      10. Why do you want to work for us?
      11. Desribe a time when you did a mistake - how did you handle it?
      12. Describe a time when you took a risk