TNTP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TNTP Interview Questions

Updated Apr 29, 2017

3.6

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TNTP.

Interview

Entire process took place online/virtually. I applied online using the TNTP website, had a few interactions via email with an operations person on the East Coast. TNTP generally has applicants who have been screened complete a work project that is related to the kind of work you would be doing if hired. (It can be a little daunting, as you aren't always sure what they expect, but I do appreciate having a chance to "preview" my role and responsibilities.) Shortly after submitting my project, I received an email request to schedule a phone interview. The interview opened with the fairly standard questions about strengths, weaknesses, past experiences, etc. After the interview, there was a role play based on the work project (I'd been sent information about the role play and an agenda in advance). Then, we debriefed the role play and I was given some time to ask questions, etc.

Interview Questions

• What do you anticipate your greatest area of weakness to be in taking on this position, and how do you plan to address it?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was tough. You have a VERY long application to fill out. Then there are multiple phone calls and multiple in-person interviews. However, once the ball gets rolling, things are smooth. TNTP is EXCELLENT at following-through. Emails, phone calls, etc. are constant. They were very helpful.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle someone who is out-of-control?   1 Answer

LMS Course Builder Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online Nov 15th and received an email to complete a candidate exercise on Nov 26th. After completing the exercise, which took about 2 hours, I was invited for the first interview on December 10th. I had 2 phone interviews and a final offer on December 22nd, which I accepted. I thought the interview process was very thorough and gave me a good idea of what the day-to-day work would be like. This is a part-time remote position and the interview was all done remotely as well.

Interview Questions

• If you had more time to do the exercise, what else would you have done or what would you have done differently?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TNTP in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process took just over two months in total. They are a remote organization so at some point you will have to fly to meet your would-be manager in person. There were 4 phone interviews, one in person interview, and one hiring exercise.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TNTP.

Interview

First Step: Phone Fit Interview (Why TNTP? Background? Experience in Education?), Second Step: Practical Exercise (Data Analysis and PowerPoint), Third Step: Phone Presentation of Exercise (Review of Data Conclusions), and Final Step: Manager Interview (Understand of goals and Team fit)

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at TNTP.

Interview

Emailed with hiring personnel; had a phone conversation and never received timely feedback about potential opportunities or why I wasn't a good match. I sent several follow-up emails with additional questions and also sought other opportunities at the company but was never given more than an informational interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain the types of evaluations that can be used in this particular instance.   Answer Question

Curriculum Designer and Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP in September 2014.

Interview

Very intensive. Two phone interviews followed by a project it took me a day or so to complete. Did not move on after those 3 rounds. The people I dealt with were very professional. It was clear they had a standard set of questions they asked everybody, so it didn't feel like an especially organic conversation.

Interview Questions

• How would you design training to address these learning goals?
      What learning targets would you use for X standards?
      How do you best support low-achieving students to increase achievement?
      What's your background in curriculum design?
      Answer Question

Executive Assistant Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at TNTP (Brooklyn, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Very extensive interview process containing 3 different phone interviews, a lengthy written exercise/test that is submitted over a few days period, and an in-person interview involving flying to corp. office in new york. Successfully passed all stages except the last in-person meeting with the CFO and CEO. I thought these interviews were a little odd and intense. I have interviewed (successfully) with multiple CFO's and CEO's for prior positions and these were very different. The CEO went down a list asking me very standard "old school" type of HR questions such as "Explain a failure and how you handled it" and "When were you unhappiest and why?" and was typing notes in her laptop as I spoke. I'm accustomed to CEO's being more conversational and intuitive in assessing candidates. They usually speak more in sharing their vision and current priorities as well. This CEO didn't speak much at all except in the end to share the cultural challenges with me and ask if I had any questions. The meeting had a formal tone with intense scrutiny and as such, I was less at ease. The CFO meeting was slightly more relaxed, but still felt odd. It felt more like a strategic planning session, as the CFO diagrammed out on a whiteboard the departmental structure and was marking my responses on the board to questions such as what did I envision would be the core priorities for the group I would be working with and how I would go about the job basically. It was tough to be specific without knowing greater detail about the internal processes/procedures and the specific challenges involved. There were also momentary awkward pauses as she looked at me and wasn't asking questions or responding to what I what I had just said. I was rejected as I suspected I would be after those meetings. I nicely asked for feedback to learn what they were seeking that I lacked which could be very helpful in my interview process. Disappointing that after 1.5months of interviews/test, they refused to provide me any feedback for their decision citing "company policy". Not a TNTP fan.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process consisted of several steps. The HR associate reached out to me via email to set everything up. HR was very friendly and professional, but I got "passed off" to several different associates throughout my interview process which felt a little impersonal.

The first component of the interview process was an analysis project, which older data from around 2007 was used. Two datasets were used; a survey and a larger dataset on teacher retention and movement around the district. Questions ranged from generic questions that demonstrate your ability to pull, filter, and manipulate data and do some very basic calculations to more creative and sophisticated questions that require you not only to manipulate data, but demonstrate how you did it and why you made those choices. A final component of the project required writing a one-page memo explaining analytical findings in layman's terms. Overall, the project was consistent with my day to day work but did take some considerable free time. You will be asked how long it took you to complete the analysis, so be sure to track yourself.

My first phone interview reviewed the analysis. Most of the questions were methodological -- how would you analyze this, explain how you did that, and so forth. I was asked in greater detail about my research projects at work. The interviewer clearly had a quant research background and applied a heavy level of scrutiny on methodology. His questions seemed to be rapid-fire, and he didn't come off as warm. Even as a person who is used to others being skeptical of research projects, I was caught a little off-guard and my confidence in explaining projects really took a hit from this lack of warmth.

I made it to a third round that consisted of phone interview two. The interviewer was the project manager for one of TNTP's school districts. She was much warmer, much friendlier, and we conversed about the challenges of communicating data to school districts and our experiences with consulting in these kinds of environments. The project manager said at the end of the interview that she would refer me on, but I later got an email stating they went with another candidate, which was a bummer.

The entire process lasted a few weeks, with each interview about a week apart from one another.

Interview Questions

• Just expect to explain your methodological reasoning throughout the process, and don't get caught off guard if they don't seem very warm.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP in June 2014.

Interview

I applied at the end of May and they called me in about two weeks to schedule a phone interview. Half of the phone interview was a role play of the case study they sent a few days before. I found that the case study they sent and the role the interviewer played were not consistent. It seemed that the interviewer did not read the case study carefully. I also found that for this particular position the format of the interview was pretty useless and that they were not testing the actual skills needed for the job. I kind of stopped the interview myself because I felt it was a waste of time for both of us. I don't think TNTP were clear with what they were looking for in terms of tech position.