TNTP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at TNTP

3.5

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Started with a cover letter and resume. Then I spoke with someone from HR and had to complete a hiring exercise (took about an hour, was fairly simple). Then, I had two phone interviews, one with my direct manager and one with her manager. After that, I went into the Brooklyn office for an in person interview with a member of my team.

Interview Questions

• What would you have done differently in the hiring exercise?   Answer Question

Training and Instruction Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position and received an email for a phone interview about 4 weeks later. I was scheduled for an interview, but it was rescheduled for the next day because the person interviewing me had a delayed appointment on the day the interview was originally scheduled. I received a follow up email a week later explaining that they hired another person who was a better fit for the position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain a time when I led a team member to successfully complete a project.   1 Answer

Partner, Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP in April 2015.

Interview

What started out with great communication turned into a surprisingly unprofessional experience. TNTP's website outlines the stages of their selection process as follows: 1) submit a resume and cover letter online; if they like that, 2) spend 2-3 days completing a written assignment; if they like that 3) participate in at least one phone interview; and finally 4) meet the team in person.

Clearly this is a substantial investment of time for a working professional exploring the possibility of partnering with TNTP. Further, the position for which I was a candidate reports to company leadership: this is not a low-level job. I should think that my own professionalism would be matched by TNTP's, and that my follow-through into stage 3 would earn me something more than a form letter indicating that another candidate was preferred -- and only after I reached out to inquire about next steps a full week after a decision was promised. As was recommended to me for my own continued growth, I asked for a bit more detail on how it was determined that I was not a good fit, and that inquiry was met with silence. Approximately a week after that, I discovered that the job was still posted to TNTP's website and asked if my information would be retained by TNTP in case their first choice fell through. Again, not a word.

So in the end, I came away with the thought that TNTP cares about SOUNDING like they value people, but it doesn't take much surface scratching to reveal something different. Better not to have received an offer, then, as this is definitely a red flag.

Interview Questions

• TNTP's interview questions were quite standard. I did note that my interviewer was not fully able to answer my questions about them, however.   1 Answer

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview first. They asked me to role-play through a few "classroom" events and then to analyse a few scenarios about students & family. Then they told me they would get back. I got a place in pre-service training based on the interview. PST is not a job offer, but they will tell you that everyone who passes ends up teaching in the schoolyear. Yes, well... a job offer is almost an unspoken requirement for passing PST. Most trainees were cut from the program - even some with job offers!

Interview Questions

• Bobby's mom sends him to school. She has to go to work, so she can't go with him. She makes sure he has enough time to be at school before the bell. However, Bobby stops at the candy shop with his friends every morning and comes to class late. Whose fault is it that Bobby shows up late to class? (You are supposed to give a percentage to assign the fault)

Then:
      You call Bobby's mom and tell her what is happening. She gets mad and seems to think that you are saying she's a bad parent. She calls the principal to complain about you. You all have a conference. What would you say to her?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TNTP (New York, NY).

Interview

Cover letter (tailored to position), assignments related to the position, phone interview with hiring manager, final interview on-site. Lots of excellent communication from the hiring team. Very helpful throughout the entire process. Was always given the opportunity to ask question; was connected with others on the team, to get their perspective on what it might be like to work there. Felt very taken care of the entire time.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if a person who was managed by a person I was managing disagreed with the feedback his/her manager had given her? How would I approach the person I manage and how would I approach the person below him/her to encourage him/her to receive the feedback (not necessarily agree with it, though) in a productive way?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TNTP.

Interview

Entire process took place online/virtually. I applied online using the TNTP website, had a few interactions via email with an operations person on the East Coast. TNTP generally has applicants who have been screened complete a work project that is related to the kind of work you would be doing if hired. (It can be a little daunting, as you aren't always sure what they expect, but I do appreciate having a chance to "preview" my role and responsibilities.) Shortly after submitting my project, I received an email request to schedule a phone interview. The interview opened with the fairly standard questions about strengths, weaknesses, past experiences, etc. After the interview, there was a role play based on the work project (I'd been sent information about the role play and an agenda in advance). Then, we debriefed the role play and I was given some time to ask questions, etc.

Interview Questions

• What do you anticipate your greatest area of weakness to be in taking on this position, and how do you plan to address it?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was tough. You have a VERY long application to fill out. Then there are multiple phone calls and multiple in-person interviews. However, once the ball gets rolling, things are smooth. TNTP is EXCELLENT at following-through. Emails, phone calls, etc. are constant. They were very helpful.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle someone who is out-of-control?   1 Answer

LMS Course Builder Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online Nov 15th and received an email to complete a candidate exercise on Nov 26th. After completing the exercise, which took about 2 hours, I was invited for the first interview on December 10th. I had 2 phone interviews and a final offer on December 22nd, which I accepted. I thought the interview process was very thorough and gave me a good idea of what the day-to-day work would be like. This is a part-time remote position and the interview was all done remotely as well.

Interview Questions

• If you had more time to do the exercise, what else would you have done or what would you have done differently?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TNTP in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process took just over two months in total. They are a remote organization so at some point you will have to fly to meet your would-be manager in person. There were 4 phone interviews, one in person interview, and one hiring exercise.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TNTP.

Interview

First Step: Phone Fit Interview (Why TNTP? Background? Experience in Education?), Second Step: Practical Exercise (Data Analysis and PowerPoint), Third Step: Phone Presentation of Exercise (Review of Data Conclusions), and Final Step: Manager Interview (Understand of goals and Team fit)