TSYS|Total System Services Internet Software Developer Senior Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Internet Software Developer Senior

Interviews at TSYS|Total System Services

2.5

Internet Software Developer Senior Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, GA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at TSYS|Total System Services (Columbus, GA) in August 2012.

Interview

Very good company. good benefits. Friendly coworkers. Very easy process. Basic questions. Personally one of the most pleasant experiences ever.
Asked about prior experience. talked a lot about the company.

Other Interview Reviews for TSYS|Total System Services

Internet Software Developer Senior Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TSYS|Total System Services.

Interview

Initially dropped off my resume, thinking there was a slim chance of getting an interview (was a former employee, who had left a few years prior to that). Received a call about a week later to come in for an interview. Met with one of the Senior Mainframe Developers as the first round of interviews. I was under the impression that I was interviewing for a web development position. I was wrong. I was interviewing for a COBOL position. I did COBOL (and other mainframe languages) when I worked for TSYS previously. However, it had been several years since I coded in any of those languages.

The interviewer was extremely nice, but informed me that he didn't feel like I would be a good match for the position that I was interviewing for. I couldn't have agreed more. I failed that interview miserably. He left to go see if his boss wanted to talk with me. When he came back, I was invited to her office to talk with her...without him present. I almost fell out of my chair when she offered me the position on the spot, despite knowing my interview results. She finally let me know that they had intentions of bringing me on board as a web developer. But, the position hadn't been created yet. And, since I was a former employee with mainframe development experience, they wanted to snag me under that title while they could.

Turns out, she was correct. I maintained that role for the duration of about one project (3 months or so) before I started into my role of web development.

The people that did the interview, as well as the rest of the crew I worked with, and for, were some of the best people I've ever had the honor of working with. Now that I've left the company (had to relocate), I sorely miss most of them. As far as upper and upper-middle management....well....I'll stop on a positive note.

Interview Questions

• Considering how miserably I had done on the interview, and how I hated mainframe development, the most unexpected question had to be "Would you consider doing COBOL development for a while...we don't know how long?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't feel the need to negotiate. They started me a lot higher than what I was making at the time (an hourly, somewhat-part-time warehouse job), and was a little bit higher than what I was making when I left TSYS the first time. As far as a tip to others that may want to negotiate...keep in mind the cost of benefits with TSYS. If they are still the same as they were when I was with them, it speaks a lot. However, don't be afraid to ask for what you feel you are worth. Just realize that they aren't the highest-paying employer in the area. However, because of their benefits and work culture, they are one of the most sought-after companies in the area. So, don't negotiate your way into them laughing at you as they hang up and call the next person in line.