Tableau Software Product Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tableau Software Product Consultant Interview Questions

3.1

Product Consultant Interview

Interview

screening phone call, short problem set based in the software, follow up phone call, 3-hour technical demo and additional interview. Recruiter provided lots of helpful pre-interview information. I had about a week to prepare for the demo and learn some basics about the software. The technical questions were Tableau-related and the other interview questions were pretty typical. A few logic questions too

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Tableau Software

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

The process is definitely involved and takes a long time, but my HR rep was very attentive with me and helped guide me through the entire process. First - basic phone screen. Second - phone interview with someone in the Product Consultant group. Third - Basic homework assignment to manipulate some data with a trial of the software. Fourth - present a mock demo for a panel of employees and then a series of 1:1 interviews with each of the attendees.

Ultimately, an offer did come through, but the process took probably more time than necessary. Would have enjoyed working here, but the salary was too low as mentioned in many of the other reviews.

Interview Questions

• Dropping the lightbulb from 100 story building. Find the floor where it doesn't break.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

In short, this was a horribly unprofessional experience. My initial interviews were great and I felt that everyone I talked to was truly passionate about this company and their product. Unfortunately, in a later interview I was told of the compensation offered for this role and it's much less than someone with experience would expect to make, especially in Seattle. I told the recruiter that I simply couldn't afford to take that big of a pay cut and I didn't want to waste anyone's time moving forward. She then persuaded me to continue the interview process by saying I was so great a candidate that they were considering me for the senior position that made a more reasonable compensation. The interview includes a product demo with Tableau which is great practice for the role, but it does take 10+ hours to put together and however much additional time the individual wants to prepare a presentation. All in all, I took 20+ hours for this final interview including taking an afternoon off of work to go on site. The interview on site was actually really enjoyable. They asked some tough questions around the product but also kept it very balanced between interviewing me and talking about their experience and the role.

A few days later I recieved an offer... for the original role, not the Sr. PC position, and there was zero flexibility for negotiation. I talked myself into accepting the lower pay for the short term because of the training involved (which really is fantastic) and the long term potential of the company. The next day, after I've written my farewell emails to my friends and colleagues at my current company (did not send, thank goodness) and I'm readying myself to tell my boss, I get an email to hold off and then later I recieve a call that says they are pulling the offer because I was hesitant when I accepted and they later claimed that it wasn't a real offer and I was confused ... The subject line of the email was Tableau - Offer and said "Hiring Manger is interested in moving forward with an offer!" and " () would like to offer you the Product Consultant role at $x." So yeah, I think anyone would be confused to be told that's not an offer, thank god I was waiting for the paperwork before I told my current boss. I can only speculate, but I'm guessing this had something to do with statistics they're trying to maintain for their recruiting process.

So.... overall I really do believe this company is wonderful. Absolutely great product and a very passionate team. This process, however, belongs in a bad comedy.

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software in December 2015.

Interview

HR Department is great at working with you and being transparent about the process. Phone screening is easy - prepare like any interview. Then, I was interviewed in a batch of candidates at the end of Q4 where everyone was referred by someone at the company. Went through a series of tech screenings and interviews. Then was invited back to give a demo of the product in front of a panel of managers.

Interview Questions

• Riddles to see how you think.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

The first thing they give you is an exercise workbook to be completed within a couple of days. Be thoughtful with this, and try to be as thorough as possible without going over the top. This is where I messed up. Try to let the data speak for itself while using a variety of different visualizations.

Interview Questions

• The initial phone interview will provide you with a more thorough understanding of the job itself rather than ask any hard hitting questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

An interview process that hurt.

I put in around 150 hours of work preparing. I would call myself very astute. I have finished college with 3.7 cumulative GPA, having actively sought out and taken the toughest finance, economic, and business courses available to me. I spent those hours productively.

1st thing I got was the Tableau Qualified Associate Certification. Tableau recommends taking "Fundamentals and Advanced courses” $1390 each; and 5+ months of Desktop experience. Instead I studied on my own spending about 60 hours using the prep guide. I spent $250 taking the test and got a 92% needing 75% to pass. I gained skills in Tableau equivalent to someone who has used the program for 5+ months in a fraction of the time.

2nd thing - give a great product demo. I spent about 45 hours prepping. I found the data set that I wanted then added a few more columns to make the presentation more convincing. I spent 5 hours prepping this data. The rest of the time was spent on researching the value proposition of Tableau software, coming up the dashboard I wanted and playing around with the data for hours until it was perfect. I practiced the demo recording myself and getting feedback from my girlfriend.

Finally I studied the competitors and other materials that interested me such as information design. I read Stephen Few's best practices book "Informational Dashboard Design" (great book btw!) and spent time trying their competitor, Qlikview. I also read the white papers from Tableau to achieve the best marketing tactics and read books outlining best practices of selling software.

The interview process. 3 rounds and a homework assignment. The recruiter was disorganized promising to follow up at a certain period of time, but usually didn't. She messed up scheduling my second interview so the day I expected to talk to the manager she called with excuses and no apology.

The final interview was telling of Tableau and its "culture". I gave a great demo showing the features of the software that also told an interesting journey of a movie producer answering most or all of the questions about the technical features of the software. There were questions that I couldn't answer outright, but I promised that I would look into it and follow up after the demo. Overall I nailed the demo: I showed the value of the software and kept it interesting and fun.

I interviewed with 4 people, 30 minutes each. One manager asked me the same question because the topic interested to him, but in my opinion unnecessary in relation. Another manager really liked my demo and we talked about information best practices, generally good impression of the guy. The third manager, who was I believe going to be my boss, drilled me with questions. One question was if I can work well with others. I gave an example of when I had a hard time working with others, but said I went through 6 months of life coaching and it's a skill that I’ve improved. He kept saying that not everyone at Tableau is smart, how are you going to work with them? This really confused me because the impression I got from other managers and current employees who I've spoken mostly directly quoted that "working with smart and motivated people” would be a benefit of working at Tableau.

He decides to give me a statistic puzzle to test if I can explain things well, which I successfully solved (!) while verbalizing my thought process. This surprised me because I haven't taken statistics in a long time. I told this excitement to him, and he replied “You don't have to know statistics even my brother who is an english major can do this it's just logic” he said in a very curt tone. Putting me down for solving the puzzle successfully and my excitement for it? At that point, the purpose isn't to test my explanation skills because there wasn't any comment of that from him regarding it. It was a power trip for him. At the end of the interview he gets up and says "So you don't work well with others" as a hostile departing shot he hurriedly leaves but I catch him quickly before he rushes out to give him a handshake and thank him for is time. It seems to me that he is the one who doesn't work well with others.

I heard back from the day after. My recruiter let me know that they will not be offering me the job. I was very shocked to hear this. I asked her if Tableau had some feedback, she says no. Now I’m left recovering from the confusion and injustice I feel about my experience. I feel like I was the perfect candidate: I enjoy working with data, I'm excited at what Tableau has to offer to companies, and I was extremely prepared and motivated to do what's necessary to learn the business to help people. But I found out recently that that's not all you need. Which really confuses and hurts me. I will not be pursuing any other opportunities with Tableau in the future. I really put sweat, tears, money, and my heart out there and I was rejected without an ounce of reason.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied Online. A recruiter reached out with an invitation to discuss the role. A technical assessment was sent to me, I completed it and submitted and never heard back from anyone on the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Screening phone interview, one with Recruiter, one with department manager. A 3rd call was to go over the Demo with the recruiter.
    Went to the office for a Demo and had my 4th interview with sales manager and a 5th interview with the director.

The recruiter did not follow up as promised and took nearly a month to tell me I was not selected for the job.

The recruiter did not call at the scheduled time in 3 different instances, which made me very confused. I was taking the interview phone calls while on break or lunch (currently employed) and the lack of punctuality hurt me.

The 2 first phone interviews seemed like they were trying to convince me that even though they paid less than my current job, the company was a better fit for me. They did most of the talking and asked very few questions. They told me about the pay and benefits in the 1st call.

During the demo, everything went great, the manger was very pleased, took me for a tour, introduced me around to several members, asked me when I could start, when I could go to their training in Seattle, etc.... everything seemed like they wanted me badly... Except that they never called me back, never followed up and I had to send our weekly emails asking about the updates.

It was a very good experience, though. I believe I had very strong competition and the Recruiter is just very busy.

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software in April 2015.

Interview

I was asked to complete a Tableau workbook exercise and turn it in the following week. I have strong Tableau skills (and BI experience in general) and so turned it in the following day. I then was asked to interview with the hiring manager over the phone. It became very obvious during the interview that the pay would be a step down, but for me to get even close to a fair salary for the region and for my experience, I would need to have additional skills never advertised in the job posting. What frustrated me was they threw the requirement out there of knowing a particular programming language for the odd case of having to build an external capability for a potential client. I know other languages, and have built similar solutions, and assured them I could pick up the new language in a few weeks. But they didn't bite. I met most of the long laundry list of requirements, but never heard anything back from them.
    My impression is they were looking for an excuse to not hire me due to my salary requirement.
    More frustrating was that I had identified a role that was a better fit within the organization that was more senior, and the recruiter wouldn't push me for that role and never gave feedback at all on that route. Turns out the other role wasn't in her bucket of roles to worry about.
    It became clear to me that what they want for this particular role are cheap, new college grads with strong technical skills, who don't yet understand their own worth to be bossed around by sales guys who can't be bothered to master the product they are selling.
    Bottom line: I breezed through the initial technical, soft skill, and experience requirements, but they wouldn't put me in for the higher end of the salary spectrum for the role unless I had 100% of a laundry list of niche language and app skills (all of which could be picked up due to my experience with more mainstream language and development skills). Clearly their recruiting process is just as busted as their overall sales process. (YES, I work in the BI field and have been and will be a customer for Tableau and their competitors, and their sales department is just as disorganized and fragmented as their recruiting arm apparently).
    Love their product, saddened that their organization is such a drawback.

Interview Questions

• The workbook exercise was fun, and a great way to test knowledge and skill of the product. Did not get to the main interview with the Demo, but I'm confident I would have done well. I've been demoing BI work for awhile to clients.   1 Answer

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software in July 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee. I submitted my resume through Tableau's website and heard back from a recruiter pretty quick. My first task was to complete a take home assignment that demonstrated my ability to create 'views' in Tableau Desktop. After I received feedback from that I was invited to come onsite to interview with a couple managers and product consultants. I spoke with 4 people for about a half hour each, and in total spent between 3-4 hours onsite-including talking with the recruiters, and getting a tour. None of the questions were too hard, it was mostly behavioral and conversational. If the interview goes well the last step is to do a product demonstration. I couldn't meet onsite again so I did it by via web conference. This was by far the most intensive part. You really have to study the product because they will try to stump you with questions as you present your demo.

The process was a little segmented, but it is very thorough and it is a good way to prove to both yourself and the company that this is a product/company you are excited about. The recruiters are very helpful and approachable and will give plenty of tips and pointers along the way.

Interview Questions

• -Explain this to someone who isn't technical. (in regards to a feature/capability in Tableau Desktop during the demo)   Answer Question

Negotiation

none