Tableau Software Product Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 6, 2017

3.2

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

I spent 40 to 60 hours on this process easily. I was fully qualified, fully prepared, recommended by someone working there. I watched all of the videos they told me to watch, read everything they said to read, and practiced my demo in front of my old coworkers and a group of friends. I understand that there was clearly someone more qualified than myself. However, I wish I wouldn't have spent so much time refining a challenging (really endless) project. It was a great and fun demo, but not the right choice for an interview. I highly discourage applying for his position unless you have fully planned for failure and have the time to commit. It was a bit more emotional of a let down, because you put so much effort into it.

Interview Questions

• Explain what this average means.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Tableau Software

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

- One interviewer was texting during my interview right in front of me.

- I was asked questions completely unrelated to the job or company. It felt almost like they were purposely trying to mess with me. Questions related to high-level math classes that I had taken years earlier such as "tell me what a Taylor Series is" and "what's eigenvalue?"

-No one wanted to get to know me on a personal level and made fake comments as a way to appear "nice"

-After I finished my demo and expressed my surprise with the tough and unrelated questions, I was told I was in a "safe space" where I could "try out the product" in front of my interviewer--one of the most asinine statements I've ever been told

-I was completely mislead on how specific the questions were going to be. The company supposedly knew I had only used Tableau for TWO weeks--they had given me the product key after my initial phone interview--yet they asked expert level questions about the software.

-I later realized that they expected me to devote 100 hours of my time when they only gave me 4 days to prepare for the final round, which is impossible

-I had understood that this was an entry level sales job where, upon acceptance of an offer, the company would fly you out to Seattle for a 2 week training on Tableau. The interview process did not reflect any of these qualities. The irony of this experience was that initially the recruiters were very hands-on--they had me do an initial Tableau project and were good at communicating. They seemed to really like me and thought I was a good fit--KNOWING that I had NEVER used the software before.

-The salary was below 40k (lowest I've been interviewing for) and DMV taxes would render this virtually unlivable--yet they expected the candidate to be an expert in Tableau and rattle off math theorems.

-The word Tableau has become a illness-inducing trigger for me.

-They bragged about company culture but the environment felt hostile if you weren't like them.

-Pretentiously offered me a SmartWater and apologized for it being room temperature.

-Interview room was probably around 90º--yet they wouldn't have cared since 4/5 interviewers were skyped in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

Interview

Phone Screen - Workbook completion - In-person demonstration. I was first contacted by phone for a 15 min screen, basic info. Then asked to complete a workbook with a few different questions. Then a 2-hour interview in-person where I presented a workbook. Not gunna lie, the interview process was a bit grueling.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone screen to gauge interest in the company followed by a presentation of Tableau and its "unique" selling proposition to four employees. Base salary is capped at 40-50k. Good luck living on that in Seattle.

It's now three weeks after I interviewed and I've yet to hear back to at least close out the interview process. Very unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

An employee referred me; they will schedule a first screening, which is a very low stakes get-to-know-you conversation. If you pass the first screening, they will send a homework assignment that covers tableau's fundamental features (i.e., aggregation, visualizing, trends, creating calculated fields, etc. ). They will supply the company's superstore data set.

Next, they will schedule a 30 conversation with the hiring manager. You should be prepared to explain why you think tableau is evolving the universe and bring inspired questions to them. Next, they will schedule an on-site demo of their product along with 2 hours of interviewing. Watch all of the tableau learning videos and handle those tough questions with grace. Don't lie, or make false claims because they will know if you are BSing. I recommend practicing the demo live before going on the site because the environment is very cold, and critical.

My recruiter called me two business day after her estimated call back date and said that they thought I radiated positive energy but stumbled on the technical questions. Admittedly, I didn't watch all of the videos; I felt quite nervous during the demo and failed to accurately keep track of the time, but I had assumed they would still work with me; I handled most of their technical concerns.

Caveat:
    Be prepared to practice patience. My recruiter overestimated their feedback date every part of the process; it's not necessarily their fault since tableau is a large company with many moving parts.
    Scheduling other interviews was much more interesting...

Interview Questions

• How would you sell our product to a non-technical person?   Answer Question
    • Explain something technical (game, system, process, etc.). (2 min)   Answer Question
    • If you had one more week, how would you improve your demo?   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Interview

screening phone call, short problem set based in the software, follow up phone call, 3-hour technical demo and additional interview. Recruiter provided lots of helpful pre-interview information. I had about a week to prepare for the demo and learn some basics about the software. The technical questions were Tableau-related and the other interview questions were pretty typical. A few logic questions too

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

The process is definitely involved and takes a long time, but my HR rep was very attentive with me and helped guide me through the entire process. First - basic phone screen. Second - phone interview with someone in the Product Consultant group. Third - Basic homework assignment to manipulate some data with a trial of the software. Fourth - present a mock demo for a panel of employees and then a series of 1:1 interviews with each of the attendees.

Ultimately, an offer did come through, but the process took probably more time than necessary. Would have enjoyed working here, but the salary was too low as mentioned in many of the other reviews.

Interview Questions

• Dropping the lightbulb from 100 story building. Find the floor where it doesn't break.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

Lengthy and comprehensive, with time-consuming material both at home and at the headquarters. Assigned "homework" then asked to complete a 4-hour interview, not a bad process but more difficult than most entry-level positions might ask for. Overall the company has the right idea, but it might need to be implemented differently.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

In short, this was a horribly unprofessional experience. My initial interviews were great and I felt that everyone I talked to was truly passionate about this company and their product. Unfortunately, in a later interview I was told of the compensation offered for this role and it's much less than someone with experience would expect to make, especially in Seattle. I told the recruiter that I simply couldn't afford to take that big of a pay cut and I didn't want to waste anyone's time moving forward. She then persuaded me to continue the interview process by saying I was so great a candidate that they were considering me for the senior position that made a more reasonable compensation. The interview includes a product demo with Tableau which is great practice for the role, but it does take 10+ hours to put together and however much additional time the individual wants to prepare a presentation. All in all, I took 20+ hours for this final interview including taking an afternoon off of work to go on site. The interview on site was actually really enjoyable. They asked some tough questions around the product but also kept it very balanced between interviewing me and talking about their experience and the role.

A few days later I recieved an offer... for the original role, not the Sr. PC position, and there was zero flexibility for negotiation. I talked myself into accepting the lower pay for the short term because of the training involved (which really is fantastic) and the long term potential of the company. The next day, after I've written my farewell emails to my friends and colleagues at my current company (did not send, thank goodness) and I'm readying myself to tell my boss, I get an email to hold off and then later I recieve a call that says they are pulling the offer because I was hesitant when I accepted and they later claimed that it wasn't a real offer and I was confused ... The subject line of the email was Tableau - Offer and said "Hiring Manger is interested in moving forward with an offer!" and " () would like to offer you the Product Consultant role at $x." So yeah, I think anyone would be confused to be told that's not an offer, thank god I was waiting for the paperwork before I told my current boss. I can only speculate, but I'm guessing this had something to do with statistics they're trying to maintain for their recruiting process.

So.... overall I really do believe this company is wonderful. Absolutely great product and a very passionate team. This process, however, belongs in a bad comedy.

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software in December 2015.

Interview

HR Department is great at working with you and being transparent about the process. Phone screening is easy - prepare like any interview. Then, I was interviewed in a batch of candidates at the end of Q4 where everyone was referred by someone at the company. Went through a series of tech screenings and interviews. Then was invited back to give a demo of the product in front of a panel of managers.

Interview Questions

• Riddles to see how you think.   1 Answer