Tableau Software Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.8

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in September 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with three individuals. One was talking about the position and salary requirements. Second was a team lead that wanted to know about me and my personality. Third was actually a quite odd string of very specific questions about Tableau software. I had only worked a little with the software so most of the questions I did not know, but could at least talk some about the related technologies.

Interview Questions

• In Tableau server, are you able to change the metadata of the database?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

- One interviewer was texting during my interview right in front of me.

- I was asked questions completely unrelated to the job or company. It felt almost like they were purposely trying to mess with me. Questions related to high-level math classes that I had taken years earlier such as "tell me what a Taylor Series is" and "what's eigenvalue?"

-No one wanted to get to know me on a personal level and made fake comments as a way to appear "nice"

-After I finished my demo and expressed my surprise with the tough and unrelated questions, I was told I was in a "safe space" where I could "try out the product" in front of my interviewer--one of the most asinine statements I've ever been told

-I was completely mislead on how specific the questions were going to be. The company supposedly knew I had only used Tableau for TWO weeks--they had given me the product key after my initial phone interview--yet they asked expert level questions about the software.

-I later realized that they expected me to devote 100 hours of my time when they only gave me 4 days to prepare for the final round, which is impossible

-I had understood that this was an entry level sales job where, upon acceptance of an offer, the company would fly you out to Seattle for a 2 week training on Tableau. The interview process did not reflect any of these qualities. The irony of this experience was that initially the recruiters were very hands-on--they had me do an initial Tableau project and were good at communicating. They seemed to really like me and thought I was a good fit--KNOWING that I had NEVER used the software before.

-The salary was below 40k (lowest I've been interviewing for) and DMV taxes would render this virtually unlivable--yet they expected the candidate to be an expert in Tableau and rattle off math theorems.

-The word Tableau has become a illness-inducing trigger for me.

-They bragged about company culture but the environment felt hostile if you weren't like them.

-Pretentiously offered me a SmartWater and apologized for it being room temperature.

-Interview room was probably around 90º--yet they wouldn't have cared since 4/5 interviewers were skyped in.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC).

Interview

Delayed process, significant gaps in between phone screen and various interviews. 6 week total to go through the whole process. Good overall benefits package and company but the interview process needs to be quicker.

Application

Interview

Phone Screen - Workbook completion - In-person demonstration. I was first contacted by phone for a 15 min screen, basic info. Then asked to complete a workbook with a few different questions. Then a 2-hour interview in-person where I presented a workbook. Not gunna lie, the interview process was a bit grueling.

Manager, Enterprise Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the recruiter initially. Then I had an interview with the hiring Director. The recruiter told me that the hiring director really liked me, so she would like for me to meet with a manager who would be my peer. I spoke with him and it went very well (at least I thought). The recruiter asked me if I was available for a two weeks training April 3 - 14th. I told her yes, she said good. We will be flying you out to Seattle for training, so keep that window open. So I say..."Well this sounds like I got the job" she then says, it hasn't been finalized yet, but yes pretty much. You received great feedback and everyone was very impressed with you. She then says "We would like for you to come in the office to meet the team you'll be managing...are you available next Tuesday to come and do a demo and meet your team?" I agreed to it all. She sent me a demo software to practice for my demonstration on Tuesday. She told me I will hear from her on Friday with the details about the Tuesday meeting. I spent the whole weekend working on and practicing with this software. When I didn't hear from her on Friday, I waited until Monday and reached out. She did not respond and I began to worry, because I'm supposed to be onsite the next day. Tuesday night, I get a random email saying...."we will not be moving forward with you and do not have any feedback to provide"

Considering that the recruiter initially reached out to me and basically gave me a verbal offering, the least she could do was give me an explanation to why I was being passed up. I spent two days learning that software for nothing. I was skeptical before interviewing with them, because I read what others had to say about their interview process. I wish I would have never accepted her request. So unprofessional!

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

very rigorous and lengthy with multiple sessions and multiple people. was asked to do a product demo which was a lot of prep but easy enough ultimately but it was okay and I found it interesting

Interview Questions

• what my work experience has been in the industry   1 Answer

Enterprise Area Sales Manager - Federal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

The recruiter made initial contact (same day I applied) via email looking to establish a time when we could set up a phone interview. The recruiter was both friendly and open with the phone interview process itself being a relatively straightforward review of my resume and pertinent job experience ( looking to screen me in or out). She shared information about the interview process, trainings expected in the first year of employment and high-level information on benefits.

Interview Questions

• "What was my quota attainment in last year?"   1 Answer

Deal Desk Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and that kicked off the process. Had a few phone interviews before coming onsite. I had 5 half hour interviews with various employees in the department, and also had a brief skills test. I then had another phone interview with a director, prior to getting an offer.

Overall it was a great experience, the interview process was more about a personality fit than anything (unsurprisingly the sales/operations interviews seem to be much different than engineering).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied Online. A recruiter reached out with an invitation to discuss the role. A technical assessment was sent to me, I completed it and submitted and never heard back from anyone on the team.

Desktop Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

One thing I appreciated the most about this interview was being interviewed by several different folks on the team. I had to repeat the same thing over and over but it was nice to get different angles. The manager asked me a few technical questions that I know I didn't do well on. I'm better at showing someone how its done on a working PC then telling you how to do something. Its sucks people judge you based on confidence rather than doing it. The interview took over 4 hours. It definitely can be trimmed down but if you get the job its worth it. They really care if you will fit into their culture. The company is very casual so the folks that interview you will be in a T-Shirt and Jeans / Shorts. 90% of my interview was via Webex which was a first for me but I think I was less nervous this way. The company is growing rapidly and is based out of Seattle so expect interviews that may not be face to face. They really wanted to get to know me so I did appreciate that I wasn't treated like a number.

Interview Questions

• If someone was missing their PST in outlook how would you find it?   1 Answer