Target Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Target Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.2

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

I applied to my Target online. It took a while to get a call to schedule for an interview, I wanna say like 2 weeks after applying. They scheduled me to come in for an interview two days later. The interview process was pretty easy. I came in about 20 minutes early and was told to go into the backroom and check in with the lady at the desk. I spent about 10 minutes waiting as they called in people to interview those who were waiting for interviews.

My first interview was okay. A lot of the questions were "tell me about a time...". You'd just answer these with examples from either previous jobs or school. They read questions off of a packet and take notes on what you say. The lady interviewing me never really showed any reaction towards my answers and so I thought I wasn't doing well. At the end she asked me about situational questions and how I'd handle it, but oddly she wasn't writing down my responses. Then I was asked to wait again for a second interview.

The second interview goes much faster because a lot of the questions were either repeated from the last interview or similar. They also ask you about your familiarity with technology. Its the same thing again, they read off of a packet and take down notes on what you say. Then afterwards I was asked do a quick meet with the Executive Team Leader. It was a 2 quick questions about "why do you want to work at Target... what is your availability..." and then was sent back to HR for a job offer right on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Target?   9 Answers
  • Explain your strengths and weaknesses.   1 Answer
  • Do you know anything about the Target REDcard or Cartwheel?   3 Answers
  • Tell me about a time you...   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

First step was a phone interview. The interviewer asked me questions about my previous work experience. Next step was an in person interview at the store. I met with two people who asked more similar questions about my previous work experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision under difficult circumstances.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

Applied online, had a referral from my sister.
    Interview was good and short.
    I think i had a second interview. They like you if you get a second one. On the second one, they hired me on the spot and told me to take a drug test that day.

If you do your interview and they don't mention anything about calling you back, more than likely didn't get the job (my sister is team lead and conducts interviews)

Cashier Interview

Interview

The entire process was completed in a fairly quick manner. The questions were very simple and actually quite easy. This is a great first job for anyone in need of sales associate, cashier, stock, barista and more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Target (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy asked me simple questions over the phone and then I came in for an interview where someone asked me more questions regarding my experience as a cashier. It was fairly easy and simple they informed me later that day that I got the position, however the pay was very low and even though I decided not to take on the role, it was still a pretty easy and following process.

Anonymous Employee in Huntington Station, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Target (Huntington Station, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and I received a call the next day to set up an interview. They wanted to set one up four days after the call, but I was going to be out of town that week. They had no problem with it, and they set me up for one the day after I got home. There was no phone screening.

I got there about 10 minutes early. I did have to wait a little while for my interview, but it was well within reasonable range.

My first interview was with a team leader (hourly supervisor). First, she went over the job description with me (nothing that you shouldn’t expect), and then she asked me what brings me to Target, why I want to work for them, and what kind of experience I could bring. She then went through a few situational questions with me.

After I completed my first interview, the team leader left the room to get an executive team leader (salaried department manager) to conduct my second interview.

The ETL arrived a little while later. He asked me some more questions, including a few more situational questions. These were pretty much on the same level of difficulty as the first interview, maybe slightly more difficult.

After the second interview was over, the ETL walked me back down to HR to fill out some paperwork. At this point, I pretty much assumed that I had the job. A little while later, HR presented me with the conditional job offer. She told me that I’d receive a call back once my background check cleared (Target no longer drug tests for all positions), when I would receive the date of my orientation (about 2-3 weeks from the offer, which worked fine for me because I had to give my two weeks at my current job).

The situational questions asked were on the difficult side of what I’ve experienced in retail interviews, but I still would not call them difficult. If you have any prior work experience, you shouldn’t have much difficulty answering these questions. The length of the interview was about average.

I found both of my interviewers to be very personable, very laid back, and generally easy to talk to. I also appreciated the speed of the process- they made an effort to get me in as quickly as possible, they held both of my interviews on the same day, and they gave me an offer before I left the building.

As an aside, be advised that you might not even interview with any team leaders from your department. In my case, neither the TL nor the ETL would be my direct supervisors. This could vary from store to store, however.

When you go in, just remember that this interview is more about how you present yourself than how you answer the questions (although it would certainly help to look at the questions on here, and demonstrate knowledge of the company). There's really no reason to be nervous, because Target is NOT a difficult place to get into.

Interview Questions

• Would you be okay with promoting Target products and services, such as the REDcard and Cartwheel? (paraphrased)   1 Answer
    • If I were to contact your supervisor, what would he/she say are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • If I were to contact your supervisor, what would he/she say that you need to work on?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had to involve someone more experienced than you to complete a task?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when your attitude turned a bad situation around   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time where you were interrupted while completing a task, and how you handled it   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you stood up for yourself during an interaction with someone (paraphrased, badly)   1 Answer
    • Name a time where you exceeded someone's expectations   Answer Question

Negotiation

Everyone starts at $10.75 at the store in question ($0.75 over minimum wage), and this is non-negotiable to my knowledge. It's not great, but it isn't terrible either.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mansfield, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Target (Mansfield, TX).

Interview

Typical questions such as weaknesses and strengths. They also ask all questions and expect a specific example of when a skill they have asked you about was used efficiently, so you must prepare and be ready to tell stories on how your skills have been out to use.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you solved an issue between co-workers?   Answer Question

Salary was not up to debate

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Target (New Haven, CT).

Interview

Very friendly and easy going management. Interview was easy. Lots of situational questions (explain a time when..., what would you do if..., tell me about a time you...) Did one interview with the guest service team lead, another with the sales floor ETL, and then gave all my info to HR.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target in January 2017.

Interview

HR called in for a first interview, scheduled a date. Came in for the first interview, talked about situational questions. That went well, so they gave me a second interview directly after, same types of questions. After that they said they wanted to offer me a job. Because the HR rep wasn't there that day I had to go in another day to officially accept the job.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target (New York, NY).

Interview

Very pleasant experience. Applied online and received a call for an interview a week later. Interviewed at the store and received an offer on the spot. HR was quick and efficient in the decision-making process.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge you have had to overcome?   Answer Question