Target Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 14, 2017

2.6

193 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Target (Columbia, SC) in October 2012.

Interview

I filled out the application online. About a week or two later, someone called and asked me like 2 questions--1) Why do you want to work at target? and 2) What is your availability? She pretty much repeated to me the days and hours I said I would work on the application and then asked if it was correct. Then she told me what position was available, the responsibility of that position and then wanted to know if I was still interested. I told her yes. Next, she said she wanted to set on a phone interview for me, so I told her what time would be best. She stressed to me how important it was to be by the phone when the person called or else I would be marked as a 'No Show.' That part was easy. Here comes the weird, not so easy part: So, the day of my phone interview, I was by my phone waiting for the call. The interviewer sounded new, young and inexperienced. She asked my a couple of "Tell me about a time....what was the outcome?" questions. Now....this is the part that didn't make any sense. Every time she asked me the question, I answered completely telling her the situation, what role I played, and the outcome of the situation. But, after every questions she asked me, 'What was the outcome?' as if she wasn't even listening. I had to constantly repeat myself over and over. I am a slow, clear speaker so I don't understand what the problem was. For example, she asked, 'Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer/employee and what was the outcome?' I told her about the time one of the employees were having car trouble and couldn't make it to pick up her check. She told me she didn't have a ride but she really needed the money to get her car fixed. So, after work, I drove half an hour to meet her relative just so she could get her check to fix her car. Of course, this wasn't in my job description....I just did it to help. After I told her this she then asked, 'What was the outcome?' HUH? The outcome was the fact that she was able to get her check due to me driving all the way out to meet her sister. Okay, again: "Tell me about a difficult tasks at work, how did you handle it and what was the outcome?" I told her about the time I had to learn how to use a software that I wasn't familiar with. I was having a lot of trouble figuring it out, so I asked the manager if I could come in on the weekend to familiarize my self with it. After working alone in the office, going through different tutorials with it, I finally got the hang of it. Once I did that, I no longer had any problems. AGAIN, she asked, 'What was the outcome?" The last time I checked, the outcome of a situation basically meant the end result. I didn't get why she kept asking me that when I clearly told her the end result of each answer. She sounded like she wanted to be doing anything at that moment other than giving an interview. That really pisses me off. Because she doesn't like, or want, to do her job she is in a bad mood and makes it impossible for me to have a decent interview. There are people out here who really need work and it is messed up that you could miss out on a job b/c of a sucky interviewer. But, what should she care? She has a job. Ugh. I am really starting to see why so many people get on gov. assistance and just stay on them. It is hopeless out here. It sucks b/c I love Target and would have loved to work there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a client/employee and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Cashier Interview

Interview

Can you stand on your feet all day long?

Cashier Interview

Interview

Applied online called next day for interview asked a few questions hired on the spot

Cashier Interview

Application

I interviewed at Target in April 2013.

Interview

I applied online and they called me to schedule a phone interview. He asked how many hours I can work and any days I couldn't work. He also asked why I wanted to work at Target. There were alot of situational questions such as a time you went above and beyond expectaions, gave great customer service, and a time you had to work in a team. They called to schedule an in person interview two weeks later. I haven't gone to it yet. She told me to come 20 min early to do an assesment on a computer first.

Interview Questions

• What would your past employers/teachers say is your strength/ weakness?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

I applied online, got an email asking to make an appointment, went in, did 3 total

Interview Questions

• name a time you were responsible for money that was in question   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interview

Applied online. Got a call maybe a week later, which went to voicemail. The woman spoke so fast I had to the listen to the message 7 times to figure out who she was and where she was calling from and what the number to call back was. I finally figured it out, called back, and I had a sort-of interview - partly I was just clarifying some information on my application (my work experience, my availability), and there was just a couple really basic interview questions.

At the end she said she'd contact me in a couple days in order to set up an actual interview.
    Then two days later I got an email saying there were no positions available.

Cashier Interview

Interview

Applied online and got an e-mail a few weeks later asking to book an interview for a job fair. I thought that the interview went really well, but I guess a wasn't a good fit for their company. All the questions that they asked me were on this website.

Cashier Interview

Interview

General questions, how would you handle a customer who is upset, how do you deal with coworkers when there is conflict. Availability

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

Called in for phone interview only to have failed it miserably.

Cashier Interview

Interview

Applied online, got an email to schedule an interview. Got asked two rounds of questions by different persons and then told I would be contacted soon. Few weeks later I received an email saying I had not been selected.