Target Business Planning Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Target Business Planning Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2017

3.2

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Interview

Met with a recruiter via career fair which resulted in a phone interview. This was the only step of the interview process and was a positive experience! I have not heard back yet as to the results of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked on a project with a time constraint.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

A friend who works for Target forwarded my resume to their recruiting staff. About a week later I recieved an email requesting a phone interview. During this interview we talked about my resume and the merchandising business analyst position. I am not a business major so it was a bit surprising when they told me this was the position they were considering me for. I agreed to a second interview. After a rather lengthy game of email tag (around 2 months) this one was set up in person. The interview questions were very simple behavioral "tell me about a time when" type questions. It was a very positive experience and I was shown around Target headquarters which was pretty cool. After that interview I was sent an email explaining I needed to take an online test. Maybe this is common for business majors but I was completely blindsided by its difficulty. If I remember correctly, you are given 30 minutes and there are around 25 questions to answer. These questions were terribly difficult for me. An example would be something like "Sally arrives at work before Bob. Bob arrives after Kim. Kim comes late on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. John always arrives after Sally etc. etc. who is the second person to arrive after Bob?" I don't think I would have had trouble finding the answers were it not timed, but to me doing these questions in roughly a minute a piece was simply impossible. I suspect there is an order of operations method to solve these types of questions quickly, which made me feel a bit cheated if I'm being honest. I akin it to asking students to solve derivatives without teaching them the short-hand method first. Of course the one kid in the class who has an older sibling that made them aware of it will be able to solve the problems faster. Does that in any way reflect them having intrinsic problem solving skills or intelligence above their peers? No. That is how I felt about this, and despite my positive experience with the recruiters it didn't leave me with the most positive impression of the hiring process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2016.

Interview

I met target at a career networking event, followed up at career fair, and was selected for an interview on campus. My on campus interview was fairly straightforward. Target overall asks more complex questions than other interviews that I have had. About a week later I found out that I had been selected to go to Minneapolis in 5 days for a final interview at HQ. The day started with a speaker and then 2 interviews, lunch, and then a tour of Minneapolis.

The interviews were extremely difficult. My first interviewer came into the room, said his name, and asked the first question. No small talk at all. He would not make eye contact with me and his phone went off during one of my answers. The second interviewer wasn't as rude but not professional. Overall I felt like Target wasted a lot of my time to fly all the way there and not even listen to me. I don't know what they're looking for or if they already have candidates in mind, but my overall HQ experience made me have 0 desire to work for them and even shop with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you experienced conflict in the workplace and had to go to a supervisor to seek help? What did you do? What did they say?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

The interview was 30 minutes long, consisting of 4 standard behavioral questions. Interviewees are encouraged to apply the STAR method: concisely describe the situation, timeline, actions taken, and results of each scenario. There was about 5 minutes for the interviewee to ask questions at the end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had multiple deadlines at the same time. How did you manage those deadlines?   Answer Question

Application

I interviewed at Target in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through my university, had a 30 minute on campus interview and called back 2 days later for a office visit (corporate office, minneapolis). All day event, met other interviewees from out of state, tour of minneapolis, lunch, and two 30 minutes interviews.

Interview Questions

• Similar questions to those asked during the first round interviews. Name a time you made a mistake.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Went through the referral hiring process. Had one get to know you interview and the second was behavioral based questions. Along with the second interview was a personality and quantitative assessment. You must pass the second interview and both assessments in order to get the last two interviews, which is an all day event at their Corporate headquarters. This consisted of a Business Analyst panel, networking with BA's and Buyers, two interviews with Buyers, and a tour. It takes up to three weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you gave someone advice or feedback.   Answer Question

Interview

fairly straight forward, SBO based questions. HR will do it in a three round interview style. the first round consists of general get to know your background style questions with a few SBO questions. a week later you will take a test and go through another round of mainly SBO questions. if you make it to the third round you will interview in person with 2 senior buyers and/or directors at HQ in Minneapolis. overall a pretty straightforward interview process. research the company, research SBO format, have 5-6 GREAT examples of things you experienced/did/lead and be able to apply them in multiple different ways. If you do that then you should be a great fit for an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake, how did you fix it? what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Evanston, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through university recruitment. I met the recruiter at the career fair and submitted my resume online through the university career services site. They reached out to me about a week later for an interview on campus. It was 30 minutes all behavioral. Before the interview, I had to complete an online reasoning and behavioral assessment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you faced conflict working in a group   Answer Question

Interview

Info Session at School, submitted a resume online. Followed by a screener aptitude test, and then an in-person interview. The whole process was fairly straightforward and simple. No trick questions, no business cases.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you were in a group and they made a decision you didn't agree with   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

I attended my university's career and applied for a full-time position through my university. I was selected as an alternate for first round interviews. A spot opened up and I attended first rounds. The first round consisted of 4 behavioral (STAR) questions. It was very straight-forward and easy. I had other offers outstanding and the recruiters were very helpful and got back to me within a week. I attended final rounds a week ahead of schedule (again very helpful with my timeline). Final rounds were a super day from 9:15 am - 5 pm. Super day consisted of an analyst panel, guest speaker, building tour, lunch with management, 2 30 min interviews (4 behavior questions each), and a networking reception to wrap up the day.

Your final round interviewers tee you up for their business area. My interviewer told me at the reception that he really wanted me to work in his division. If you can voice your preferences early (on campus, ect), you have a better shot of interviewing with them and moving into their division.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were passionate about achieving a goal   1 Answer