Target Merchandise Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Target Merchandise Specialist Interview Questions

3.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

I had a recruiter call me to set up a phone interview. The phone interview happened on a Sunday night and was approximately 25 minutes long. They told me exactly how the phone interview would go by telling me that they would first ask me to go over my background and resume etc., and then they would move in to strictly behavioral questions. They told me how to answer them by telling me to set the scene, what happened, and what the outcome was (Google STAR method). I was super nervous and thought I botched my phone interview but at the end they said they would love to have me on site for an interview. That night the recruited emailed me with interview tips. The next morning, a different gal that works for this recruited emailed me with the assessment test and another email to choose which day I wanted to be on site. I emailed back confirming to come back 1 week later. I didn't hear back about what time to come in so the day before my scheduled day I emailed the girl who emailed me to see about the time, she was very timely and got back to me immediately with the time and info about how the day would go. The day of the interview I checked in and the girl I had been emailing with came and got me as well as two other girls interviewing for the position. She brought us all to different small conference rooms where we had two 30 minute back to back interviews with buyers. These went the exact same way as the phone interview. It was a comfortable setting I didn't feel a lot of pressure, the people I interviewed with were extremely nice. They had papers with the questions on them and would write my answers down. 100% all behavior questions, about 5-6 were asked. I can't remember what I was asked but just google behavior questions and prepare different situations. I had one questions that was the same question asked by both interviewers and I gave the exact same answer for both. After both interviews we (me and the other girls) received a tour and then were handed a folder with the drug test info only to use If you got an offer. They said we would have an answer "the end of next week" (I interviewed on a Tuesday). On Thursday I emailed the girl I had been emailing with and asked for the email addresses for my interviewers and also thanked her for her time. I emailed my interviewers thank you and touched on why I would be a good fit again. I also emailed the original recruiter thank you and she emailed back saying I would hear again at the end of next week. 3 days later the recruited called with an offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to be creative when solving a problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when something didn't go your way.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project you worked on, how did it go?   Answer Question

Sourcing/Merchandise Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The whole process was completed in 3 weeks. First, I had an initial phone screening with basic interview questions. In addition, they made sure I knew how to answer behavioral interview questions and use the SAR method. The in person interview took a whole morning. It consisted of an tour of the headquarter campus and 2 in-person interview. They lasted about 30 minutes and had 3 behavioral interview question. Most scenario questions were basic and straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you did not get along with a co-worker.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation, but it is an entry level position

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Target in July 2014.

Interview

The process took approximately 1.5 months because the position was not for immediate hire. I was reached out by the recruiter followed by 2 phone interviews. After I passed through to the next rounds of interview, I had to complete an online assessment. Finally I was invited to the corporate office for an in person interview. The in person interview was with a recruiter of merchandising and a buyer. The overall interviews were nothing difficult and very straight forward situational questions. The senior recruiter was extremely helpful and let me know what I should be expecting in the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2014.

Interview

After being referred to the position & applying online, I received an email within one week to schedule a phone interview time. On the phone interview day, the recruiter called me about 10 minutes late. The interview lasted about 20 minutes, including several personal questions along with 2 behavioral based questions. Several weeks later I was invited to the Minneapolis campus for 2 1:1 interviews and a tour of the location. Each of the interviewers were polite & friendly, but seemed to be a bit unprepared. We were told by the recruiter that we would be given a call the next day, and at the very latest Friday (two days later). After hearing no response for several days, I contacted the recruiter who said we would be called within another several days, as he was running very behind. Finally, about a week later, he called 2 other interviewee that I knew to offer them the job. Then he emailed me on a Saturday to let me know that one of my interviewers left the country without turning in my interview materials, so I would be waiting even longer. After about 3 weeks of anxiously waiting, I received a phone call saying I was not offered the job. Overall, the interview process was long, unorganized, and a frustrating.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to use a creative process to solve an unexpected problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

All Behavioral based questions. Tell me about a time... Must prepare or you will not do well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to challenge a supervisor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2012.

Interview

Applied online for multiple positions got a call back for two of them and picked one to move forward with. Phone interview and 1 on 1 consist of behavioral type questions. Skills/Personality assessment taken after 1 on 1. Drug test with in 24 hours and background check also have to pass.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have to provide constructive criticism to a co-worker.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Some negotiation both sides made concessions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2010.

Interview

Scheduled for 3 1:1 interviews in one day where each person asked the same set of behavioral questions (different wording) to gauge your history and experience. At the end of the three interviews, you take an hour long integrated personality test and some sort of intelligence test. The afternoon was long and many of the interviewers didn't seem to want to be there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you struggled with a task. How did you handle it and what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to make an important decision.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2010.

Interview

I was contacted via phone to set up a telephone interview. The phone interview began with questions about my current job and experience. The meat of the interview with this company will consist of behavioral questions where the interviewer will say "tell me about a time when......".
    The phone interview went well so I am now preparing for the next stage which is two 1:1 interviews and a written test in the same morning. This process takes place at the corporate office in Minneapolis, MN.

Prepare yourself by thinking about past experiences where you solved problems. And remember: Think of positive outcomes for each.

People that I've dealt with inside the organization are polite and professional. They are highly selective from what I hear.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you helped out a co-worker.....   Answer Question

Interview

The interview process is as follows: All answers should be in SBA format.
    Remember to smile and nod a lot, remember to be Minnesota nice!
    Be reedy to explain your resume if you are not right out of college and appear to be young. Target is a young looking company and likes to hire young professionals.
    Have questions ready to ask after the interview, have two main questions that are generic and not to deep.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for a job that was not your major?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Merchandising Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Target in November 2014.

Interview

I reached out to a recruiter which, through a serious of references to three other talent specialists, landed me a phone interview. The phone interview was very standard, with questions including "Why this job", "Tell me about 3 weaknesses" etc. All the staff that I ever interacted during the process were incredibly sweet and very very nice. No joke, this was the least stressful and the sweetest interview process I've ever gone through. The 2nd round was on site with a talent specialist and a buyer. The on-site is a series of standard questions with the Setting-Action-Outcome structure. They write them down in special boxes, so make sure that's exactly how to you prepare/structure your answers. These questions include dealing with a difficult situation, how you made a mistake, how you had to help out a team member, how you solved a problem creatively.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you solved a problem creatively.   Answer Question