Target Retail Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 10, 2017

3.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterbury, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Waterbury, CT) in September 2012.

Interview

initial phone call then 2 interviews in store one after the other then waited to hear back for 5 days

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

The interview lasted about 15 minutes. It was about 5 questions. You know the usual, so tell me about yourself. Then I was asked about a time when I thought my supervisor was wrong and how did I handle it. Next was, tell me about a time when you led a team. I thought the interview went well, but within 2 hours I got an email saying they choose to go with other applicants.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about a time when I thought my supervisor was wrong and how did I handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Target (Portland, OR) in December 2011.

Interview

Good structured interview process:
    All behavior based questions
    Moderate to difficult exam taken online
    1. I first got a phone call from a recruiter. He went through general survey type questions
    2. I had an interview with the recruiter.
    3. I had a phone interview with the District Manager
    4. I had an in person interview with a Store Manger

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to deliver bad news to a supervisor?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Target (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview with two associates. Attended a meeting the day before detailing expectations. Not very high pressure. Interviewers were nice and were very courteous. Allowed you time to answer questions in detail.

Interview Questions

• Previous times you had to use critical thinking skills on the job   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Tucson, AZ) in April 2011.

Interview

The phone interview and personal interview were focused on past experience. The interviewer asked many difficult questions, many related to situations I had not experienced. As a result, I had to jumble an answer together. To succeed in an interview with this company, you must either be great at making up stories about work experience or have years and years of managerial experience. I was asked about situations that ranged from unusual to flat-out unrealistic. I have a fair amount of experience working and managing, but I believe they expected more, perhaps too much, from an individual who is still in college.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you handled a situation where your manager had acted inappropriately, you had confronted him on his bad behavior, and he threatened you in response.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you had failed to care for a customer. What went wrong?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Lafayette, LA) in December 2009.

Interview

I applied online when I first graduated from college and never heard back from the company. When my wife and I moved I applied again, had not heard back from them, and so on a shopping trip to their store I asked a woman who was wearing a name tag that read "trainer" when I could expect to hear back from them. She was nice enough to take my name and information. She must have thought well of me as I received a call from a Target interviewer the next day. The phone interview went well. He sent me a lengthy internet personality/skills test which I took. He called back and told me that I had an interview that week and whether or not I got the assistant manager position Target would find a way to bring me on board, possibly as a team leader. He told me to get my suit ready for the interview and I did. I arrived at the store in a suit and immediately felt over dressed. The store manager who was interviewing me wore khakis and his target polo. The interview went well until I began to ask about hours-a-week, sick leave, vacation, etc... I think he took this line of questioning as laziness on my part. To emphasize I was much the opposite of lazy I said something along the lines of "I believe I will do well and advance through hard work". As I finished saying that, he, in a hostile tone, said "This is an eighty million dollar a year store. You think I succeed because I work hard. It takes leadership." I firmly believe that the phrase "hard-work" destroyed the interview, so if you go into the one on one make sure to emphasize the point that you will advance through your leadership abilities.
    I thought the two went hand in hand but obviously I was mistaken. Maybe it was some other aspect of the interview that was the job killer, I am not sure. Either way, not only did I not get the Assistant Manager position, but I did not get the team leader position I thought I was getting either way.
    I wish they would tell you at the end of an interview you did not get the job and why.

Interview Questions

• Describe a win-win situation?   1 Answer

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Target (Sydney (Australia)) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a "tell us a time when" interview. Nothing too hard to answer. Overall was a good interview. Two people sitting down, asking questions that ranged from basic to an average level. Questions ranged from my personality to work experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you had to work as a team.   Answer Question
    • What would happen if you were working with an unpleasant coworker?   Answer Question

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Target (Melbourne (Australia)) in February 2016.

Interview

Received an email - Attended Group Interview where you have 1 minute to sell a product given to you (which I found fun and a great way to break the ice) - Then each section manager (was about 6 that day) take one person at a time for one on one interview, generic situation questions are asked - then you wait for a call.

Interview Questions

• What could you bring to the Target team?
      Can you think of time that you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Interview

The initial interview is set up by the administration assistant. There are multiple people interviewing at the same time. You go through three rounds of interviews and they are conducted by upper level managers, of course you just think they are regular employees. But you find out differently after you are hired.

Interview Questions

• How would you effectively manage a team that has poor communication, ethics, and morals?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter. Took online test, had over phone interview, interviewed with recruiter in person, then interview with Store Manager, District Manager then Regional Manager

Interview Questions

• I did not think any of the questions were difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes I could negotiate