Target Sales Floor Team Member Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated May 31, 2017

2.3

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in person and a couple of current employees put in a good word for me. Someone from HR called me a couple of days later and invited me for an onsite interview with two managers. The interview process was a pleasant experience. Simple behavioral questions were asked; such as what would you do in this specific situation, and at the end of the interview I received an offer on the spot.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview was in-person and very casual. I was interviewed by the store manager. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and was very basic. I was given an offer immediately after the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Saint John, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Target (Saint John, IN) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview with at least two people, fairly long interviews, lots of target based questions, but both people were very positive and actually somehow get you wanting to work at target oddly enough.

Interview Questions

• If a guest says that an item is cheaper than it rings up , what do you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

I did a interview over the phone and was ask to come in for a second interview. I was interviewed by 3 managers. They asked basic interview questions. Nothing to hard. I was offered the job at the end.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Standard type of interview. Came in for two different types with a team lead which is kind of like an assistant manager and then a manager all in the same day. They do phone interviews now.

Interview Questions

• explain a time you had a difficult guest?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Glenview, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

i went into a office and they asked me questions i had to dress up. i had two interviews and if you passed the first one you go for another interview

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Great interview about 5 quick questions about why you would like to work for them. You have an interview over the phone with HR first, then a Team Lead and then you have a face to face interview with an Executive Team Lead. Once the position was offered they would inform you about orientation and when they would call you.

Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Target (Streamwood, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

2 consecutive interviews face-to-face. First with a team lead. The second one was with a Executive team lead. They extend you an offer that same day after both interviews. Takes a while to go through background check after that and get to orientation.

Interview Questions

• If you had disagreement with a co-worker but you had to work on a project together, how did you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online for a seasonal/temporary Sales Floor Team member position. About three days after finishing my online application, I received a call to confirm I was still interested in the job. They verified what holidays/days I would be available, confirmed the position I applied for, asked me why I applied to Target and then scheduled my phone interview (which was for the next day).

My phone interview was scheduled for 11:00 AM, but they didn't call until about noon (I was going to call the store to see if they had forgotten but decided to wait it out a few more minutes and that's when they called). My interviewer apologized for the tardiness of the call and the interview promptly started.

My initial questions appear to be the same as everyone else's, but I'll write them down as best I can remember.

As a guideline, my interviewer told me that she would be asking me several situational questions and would be writing down all of my responses. She asked me if I had any previous experience working in the industry (which I did) then proceeded onto the situational questions. I was asked about a time I exemplified great team behavior/teamwork, what previous employers or teachers would say were my strengths and weaknesses and then asked about a time I exemplified great customer service or when a customer admitted they had received above and beyond customer service.

After answering those questions, I was told they would be in contact with me within 1-2 days but I received a call that same day, maybe 7 hours after my interview. I was told to go in-store and complete their additional assessment on their kiosks, call their WOTC number (which were questions for tax breaks for Target) to get a confirmation number (which you'll need for HR) and then scheduled an interview for the following day.

I went in, had to wait maybe ten minutes before someone took me to watch their five minute video on the position I was applying for, then was told to go back to the waiting area for my actual interview. He came in a few minutes later and started the interview off by going over my initial application -- verifying all my information was correct and that I was still available for the hours and days I had chosen (which I was and I think my wide open schedule was what got me that far into the process, but who knows).

He told me a bit about his job and what his experience with the store was like and then we started the next round of questions.

He asked me 'Why do you want to work at Target?' (This one is pretty much up to you on how you answer, but I would probably mention something about their customer service or how customer focused they are since it's such an important part of their image.)

'Tell me one thing that you learned or liked from the video you just watched' (I mentioned I liked how they refer to customers as guests, it shows they take people's patronage seriously. Also that they don't consider the people who work for them as strictly employees but as team members. But again, what you answer is totally up to you.)

'If we were to ask a former employer or teacher, what would they say your weaknesses are or areas of improvement? Give me one or two examples of each one.'
    'Tell me about one time you made a mistake, how you corrected it and what you learned from it.'
    'You're working in shoes, a woman comes up to you and tells you that she can't find the shoe size she's looking for, how would you handle the situation?' (I said to check in the back for the shoe size she was looking for and if we didn't have it, that I would check to see if we could order it for her or suggest she try ordering it online)

'You are working as a cashier, an item rings up for 19 dollars, but the customer says the price was listed as 12, what do you do?' (I've read the other answers to this question and from what I've witnessed in store, firsthand, they usually do a price check with someone who works in that area. So I said I would apologize for the confusion and call in a price check. My interview then said that the initial ring up price was in fact correct and that it was $19, what would you do? I adjusted my answer accordingly. So I guess each answer differs based on where your Target is located.)

After that, my interview was over and I was brought back to the waiting room to wait for HR to wrap things up. I was offered a job right on the spot with pay a little over minimum wage.
    No drug test was required, which I found a bit odd but figured it was because they didn't want to wait any longer since the holiday rush was coming up.

We shook hands and the HR rep told me that she would be in contact with me by the end of the week to schedule my orientation assuming everything checked out with my background check.

All-in-all, the whole process was pretty easy, especially if you've read through the questions everyone else has posted.

Interview Questions

• What was something you thought was interesting or learned from the video you watched?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, the pay rate was standard with no wiggle room.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

I had 2 interviews: 1 with my assigned supervisor and 1 with an assistant manager. These two took about an hour. There were a few questions about tell me about a time and how you handled it. They weren't very hard.