Tata Consultancy Services Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 9, 2017

2.7

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied by emailing a campus recruitment inbox. The email went out in July, and I received a reply in early September for a phone interview 2 weeks later.

Phone interview was straight forward - basic behavioural questions, description of the ILP Program (their new graduate position). If there were technical questions, they were simple in nature as I certainly remember nothing of note. I remember the phone call was short - ~20 minutes in length. Campus recruitment runs from Sept-Oct; I was invited at the end of October for an onsite in Toronto in mid November.

The onsite was one panel interview, 1 hour long. Basic technical questions were asked, mainly regarding OOP and Java. My background is in C, so I was asked to compare and contrast key concepts (e.g. memory allocation, data structures) between how they operate in C and Java. There were a couple questions regarding projects on my resume, as well as 2 formal problems. I received a verbal offer 3 days later, and a written offer the following week.

If selected you do have to complete a fairly (in my opinion) stupid information form about yourself - education, hobbies, etc., stuff you would find in Taleo/Brassring applications online. Note that the training for the ILP program is made more difficult this year (4 weeks in length still), with more emphasis on advanced Java concepts as well as the inclusion of front-end web technologies (HTML/CSS/JS).

Overall, drawn out process but extremely simple.

Interview Questions

• 1. Say I wanted to print an equilateral triangle of asterisks at the center of a monitor (row 1: *; row 2: * *; row 3: * * *; etc.), with the asterisks evenly spaced out. Describe the process/write pseudocode/code that would implement this logic.
      2. A variant of weighing objects on a scale, where one object is heavier than the rest. What is the minimum number of weightings that must be performed in order to find the heavier object?   1 Answer

Declined as I had already accepted another offer. The offer is standard/slightly below for junior level roles in Toronto, with (arguably) subpar benefits/vacation.

ILP Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview, after a couple of weeks I was asked to come to an in person interview.

I was asked about the projects that I did at school and briefly about my programming experience.

Interview Questions

• My weaknesses and strength.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

First stage was a 20 minute phone interview that mostly involved questions on past experiences , preferred technologies and explaining the training program that they have. Next was a 1 hour onsite interview. First 20 minutes involved typical behavior questions and then some previous experiences. Technical portion was mostly about Java (OOP concepts) and a little bit of SQL.

Interview Questions

• Abstract class vs interface. What is a singleton? Creating a SQL query.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter at university career fair in Fall. Got called by the same woman in the following week, going over some behavioural questions and updating my resume as well as scheduling an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of 3 other employees and the woman at career fair in a panel asking questions. The recruiter lady is VERY unprofessional as she ignored all my follow-up emails, leading me to conclude I did not get the offer.

Interview Questions

• basic OOP concepts, some details in C++ keywords, and general algorithms.   Answer Question

ILP Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

the interview was divided into 2 parts.

There was a personality based questions interview handled over the phone, and a technical interview a month later where you would go on site.

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online through university job board.
    Fairly easy to get hired by TCS without much technical work experience.
    Applied for Software Developer position. At beginning of interview was asked if I'd be ok for QA position. I said yes.
    In person interview, 45 min max. Asked some general HR questions. Then asked some technical questions on Java and SQL. I answered about 50-60% of the technical questions correctly.
    Got the offer for QA Analyst after 2 or 3 weeks. They required background check and official Transcript.

Interview Questions

• Java: what will be printed at the end of this for loop.
      Write an SQL query to get some information with these specification.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

First is HR telephone screening call...basic questions, how do you rank yourself on JAVA, C, C++, C#, called for interview about 3 months later....Interview was 10 minutes of basic HR questions then 30 minutes technical questions - mainly related to Java programming, Software Development(Software Development Life Cycle). Also questioned about technical experiences listed on resume.

Interview Questions

• How do you test software? What are methods to test software?
      What have you done with Java? Explain polymorphism, inheritance, abstract classes etc.   Answer Question

IT Analyst Level I and II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

First Screening
    They basically explain to you what the type of job it is and ask you if your would be ok with the opportunity. The Role that was offered was contract based and does have benefits

Interview Questions

Negotiation

it was really simple. we did do a bit of calculation on how much it the hourly pay will be. But they did ask for a range

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

phone technical interview. They called me and ask me some questions: how do you handle exceptions? What is a checked exception or un-checked exception? How do you make a thread? why do you use runnable not thread? what is singleton? what is serialization? Spring bean scope?
    How do you deploy a war or jar file on web server? How do you config a web server?

Hadoop Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

Long interview with all the critical questions on Cloudera and Hortonworks hadoop, they want to understand the truth not just the theoretical concepts on hadoop or security. Its not difficult to crack if you know the subject, say no if you have not work on it and they will ask you something else which will be easy to answer if you have worked on it.