Teach for America Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

3.3

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

First, everyone in the interview gave their sample lesson plan. Then, we were given a short introduction to Teach For America and the experiences of our interviewers in the Corps. Then, we did a group activity, and then had our personal interview times.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL).

Interview

My interviewer shamed me for exiting an abusive situation. One of the questions she asked is when I left a commitment and I told her about when I was being physically abused on the job and had to end my contract early. This was apparently a mistake, because she would not stop mentioning it afterwards. She kept saying that they didn't know if I would be able to commit to TFA because I broke that contract previously. Let me just say that if a company is going to make people feel ashamed for leaving an abusive situation instead of trying to address the abuse, itself, that is a huge issue. In addition, there were several unprofessional aspects of the interview. Another applicant showed up almost an hour late, and they still let him interview! This was disrespectful to those of us who had actually been on time. Also, the interviewers kept forgetting to start their timers for the lesson plan portion of the interview, leading to some of the applicants to have a longer time than the others. I ended up withdrawing my application.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The initial essay is very short and simple, but if you are moved to the next round they hit you with 6 more essays and a few more tasks, all with deadlines at different times in the following week. The interview is not at all hard hitting. They focused on parts of my resume that I did not feel were most relevant to the position, but I think they were trying to hear more about my leadership positions. The teaching lesson is also simple. You can do it on anything at all, like how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online for TFA in their first hiring cycle of the year. I had to submit my resume and answer some essay questions on the general resume. I was connected with- and I cannot stress this enough- several different TFA reps that were to advise me in the interview process. A couple days later I received an invitation to schedule an in-person interview. For the in-person interview I was required to prepare a brief 5-minute lesson on anything (you could even do "how to tie your shoes") which I had to present to a group of other applicants. Many people did over-the-top props or visuals in their lessons which kept all of them from finishing their lesson in the allotted time. Those with simple lay outs and straightforward worksheets seemed the most successful. There were about 8 others besides myself and 2 recruiters. We had to solve a social issue communally. After the group portion, everyone in the room is assigned to one of the two recruiters and from then are required to sign up for a on-on-one interview for that day. I had mine immediately after. The interviewer was extremely friendly and she didn't ask anything out of the ordinary that I hadn't prepared for. It's important to understand TFA's mission and how you fit into it. I found the interview conversational and not nerve-wracking because I had the opportunity to meet and observe my interviewer during the group portion. That interview was around 45 minutes. Within a week I was extended an offer to join the 2017-18 corps. Since then I have been onboarding with TFA for and have an interview with a charter school that they facilitated. The process seemed overwhelming but was relatively simple and I was able to be myself and still get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a difficult challenge you've had to face and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Manager, Learning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received email for phone interview about 2 days later. Had phone interview, was told would hear next steps the following week. Received email following week saying they are not interested. Felt interview went well and was well qualified for the position. Would of loved to work for the company as I feel we have the same drive & want the best in education.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, then I was invited to an in person interview. Questions are very specific based on leadership experience on application, so they guide you to talk about specific examples and positions. Interviewers are very kind and strongly believe in TFA mission.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process was very in depth and took a lot of time. The actual final interview was a day long and very intensive. Needed to make a lesson plan and give the lesson in front of the other interviewees. There was a lot of pre-work to the interview both online and in person. I would definitely still recommend TFA, even without an offer.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

The first interview was on the phone where I was a lot of STAR Method questions. Then I was asked for an in-person interview a few months later. This was comprised of a teaching presentation in front of other candidates. Then you had to answer a group question. Finally you sat down with a TFA representative who asked you similar questions to the phone interview.

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Had a phone/screen interview, followed by multiple in-person/video interviews, had to complete exercises and present projects, etc. Met with multiple members of the team, including a few people on teams I would be working alongside but not directly. Finally had lunch with the hiring manager and their boss.

Campus Campaign Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

During the interview a number of questions that were asked were experience based questions where you have to have an example that relates to the question with the results. For these questions you also have to have the outcome of the experience.