Teach for America Corp Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Corp Member Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2017

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Once application is accepted, one must go though process of getting recommenders, filling out extra questions, and preparing a sample teaching lesson. The Interviewers provide a very supportive environment during the actual interview day. It begins with introductions, sample teaching, then group discussion, and then personal interviews.

Interview Questions

• Leadership roles and challenges faced during the leadership role.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

On the interview day, you will start off with 5 minutes teaching with other candidates as your students. Then, there will be a group activity/discussion, you will be asked to discuss about an education-related problem with your group and come up with a solution. They will briefly talk about TFA and its impact, before an individual interview in the afternoon.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Once passing the 1st application phase, you go through a phone interview. During this interview they asked standard behavioral questions focusing on leadership skills. The difficult twist was that every question was within an obscure role on my resume, which I have heard is standard. The final round of interview was an all day experience. If you are truly passionate about the role and comfortable as a teacher it is not difficult. Interviewers were very friendly and welcoming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Bowling Green, KY) in February 2017.

Interview

Was selected for a virtual group interview. It was a little bit awkward and intimidating. Had to do a 5 minute interactive sample teaching lesson. This was very difficult to do because of the virtual atmosphere. This was followed by an hour long one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you ever missed a deadline   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2017.

Interview

Begins with your five-minute sample lesson, then a group exercise. After that, we get to know the TFA employees in the room and about TFA in general, and then we break off into individual interviews. The individual interview lasts about an hour.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

online application, in-person interview. began in a group of 10 with 5 minute lesson plan demos. Very important to practice these and be very comfortable with presenting the lesson as well as answering possible questions by "students" who may have a tough time with the lesson. Then group activity discussing options concerning local school funding policies followed by a 1 on 1 interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

After the initial online application, I met with a recruiter in person. I was invited to an in-person interview. Then there is a long written component to the application, involving multiple essay questions, called a "pre-interview activity", as well as several readings to complete. The in-person interview consisted of five-minute sample lesson plans, a group activity (you have to come to a consensus in a roleplaying scenario: closing failing schools vs. firing teachers. The answer they want is closing the schools), and then finally the one-on-one interview. I found this to be very impersonal; the interviewer takes extensive notes on their laptop while you explain your answers to questions that are basically a reiteration of the pre-interview essays. There's little to no eye contact, just the constant clicking of their typing. Yikes!

This entire process took about 2.5 months. Progress is drawn-out, and you have to jump through so many hoops (including finding references who are willing to write very detailed recommendation surveys, as well as manually typing out all of the courses on your college transcript). After all of this, I did not receive an offer, and was rejected with an impersonal form letter.

Part of me wonders if I did not get the job because there is a question on the financial aid part of the application asking if you own a car. I explained that I do not currently have a car, but that I will obtain one before I graduate. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing why I was not accepted, because TFA refuses to provide feedback regarding admissions decisions. This, combined with their claim to provide a "holistic" assessment of your qualifications, makes it impossible to know whether one is being discriminated against. Since their application process is so rigorous and drawn-out, it seems the least they can do is provide feedback upon request. I feel as though I wasted so much time and energy on this process, and I am crushed that I did not get in; I really do believe in their mission. But overall, my experience was not positive. It was cold and impersonal.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a disagreement with a superior   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in January 2017.

Interview

1) 5 minute sample teaching lesson
    2) 15-20 minute group problem-solving and consensus building activity
    3) 20-30 minute presentation on Teach for America, its mission, and areas of particular need
    4) Sign up for individual interviews based on availability
    5) 45 minute individual interview

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There was an online application, plus an in person-interview (I skipped the phone interview process). The in-person interview was intense, a written test, a group cooperative activity, a sample lesson and then an individual interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever quit anything or would you ever consider quitting anything?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Very thorough interview process with 3 separate rounds. First round is pretty easy with answering questions and submitting your resume. If you make it to the next round, that is a phone interview. The final round is an in-person and group interview.

Interview Questions

• The final interview is a group-teach interview and then an in-person one-on-one interview. For the teaching assignment, you are given 5 minutes to teach a mini-lesson to the other applicants in the room. This interview ends with a role-play scenario that you are given the day of the interview and then a one-on-one.   1 Answer