Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 4, 2018

3.5

225 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

What everyone else has said here - a 5 minute mock lesson followed by a group activity and one-on-one. I was most nervous about the group activity but it turned out to be easiest, just a conversation among people. My mock lesson, which I was well prepared for, did not go as well as hoped, and my one on one was very short, although I was proud that my answers were thoroughly honest, even when I sensed I wasn't giving my interviewer the answers she wanted to hear. My authenticity, commitment to honesty, and staying true to myself seem to have worked in my favor because I was offered a position with the corps.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult colleague?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online on their website. Was notified I got through to the interview. I chose a date and interviewed at Peace Corps headquarters in DC. It was a group all day interview.

Started with individual lessons to the group. After we had a session on more information about TFA and people had the chance to ask questions. I didn’t ask any questions there but my group had many really good questions to ask that two ladies interviewing us.

After that we split in to smaller groups 5-6 each and read a scenario and then had time to discuss it while the interviewers just watched and took notes on us. Finally we signed up for our individual interview times within the smaller groups we were in.

During the individual interview we just chatted about my experiences. A time I failed, a time I had to overcome a difficult situation. Use the STAR method they talk about. I honestly didn’t know how I did afterwards. But ended up getting in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed in school   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I started to fill out an application, whereas shortly after, I was contacted by a staff member who encouraged me to finish my application. I felt like I had a fairly good chance. If you get an interview, get ready to be prepared and be passionate. I was not selected because I lacked passion about urban schools as compared to the other candidates. If you really want this position, you need to make an influence on the interviewers, for they ultimately decide if you'll get accepted.

Interview Questions

• Should a school close down because of budget cuts or remain and cut teachers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Nashville, TN).

Interview

A lengthy interview process that included one on one interview as well as group teaching demonstration. The interviewers were nice although very in sync with their process. They would copy down verbatim my answers on their computer as I answered questions from their list, which was a bit odd.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your educational experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2017.

Interview

Interviewing with others is always a bit stressful, but they did a good job of establishing a sense of teamwork within the interview. The interviewers could answer questions limited to their own experience, but that is to be expected with as many regions as TFA has, and this doesn't matter as long as you do your research.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

In-depth. Pay attention to the core values within Teach For America, and you are rated based on those. Additionally, be comfortable with your lesson. The application may lead to a phone interview, but for me I jumped ahead to the final interview process. This might occur if you have previous Teach For America experience.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in September 2017.

Interview

Very quick and easy interview process. Short 5-minute lesson presentation followed by group work and one hour 1-on-1 interview. Application process very straightforward and offer comes very soon after interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ithaca, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I first filled out an online application, which included basic information and one essay prompt. After, I moved on to receive an in person interview which included a sample teaching lesson, group activity, and then personal interview

Interview Questions

• What is something that has been challenging for you as a leader?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Long. They make you think you have a real chance at getting a position. Don't be fooled and believe that you are being favored. These recruiters are being told to do so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Apply online, then go in for a group interview (Super day esque). I applied for the junior early deadline.
    Online process is pretty straightforward - make sure you submit things on time and have someone read your essays for feedback/grammar. Try to polish up your resume and focus on achievements (with numbers). Obviously, be politically correct.
    In person day - teaching lesson is stressful, prep prep prep. Have some sort of props like handouts to use. Dig around on TFA website/internet to help prepare. Stick with simple lessons and have all your info written out ahead of time (name, subject .. etc). Practice and time yourself !!
    1 on 1 interview is a bit strange, make sure you can highlight leadership achievements and results. Pretty standard questions you'd expect in an interview, similar to the ones on here. Not too stressful, 45 min

Try to appear polished throughout the process, practice !! everything, look over the 8 things they want in candidates/mission.