Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.5

212 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2012.

Interview

Lengthy. I had an online application and was forwarded directly to the final interview which consisted of a sample lesson, a group activity, and a one-on-one traditional interview. The final interview basically took an entire day. Most people have a phone interview after the online application, however. Not completely sure how they decide who to omit from this stage.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview was incredibly time consuming, from when you first apply you are in the process for months. Additionally I had to prepare a lesson to teach, with very few guidelines. I felt that the interview was more focused on feelings rather than on measured achievement and student results. Additionally I asked questions about some of the common criticisms of Teach for America, and while I know I was not a perfect applicant I think that may have been part of the reason I was not offered a position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Cleveland, OH) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in October, and do not find out if I get the position until January. Intensive interview process. Online application, then phone interview, the in person. The in person interview lasts all day. It is nerve wracking, but definitely worth it because they really want to make sure you can handle the job.

Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Eugene, OR) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process has several parts. The phone call is by far the easiest (this also indicates that you have made it through the initial online application), the sample teach was a foreign thing to me having no background in education, and the one on one interview the the recruiter was challenging but also my favorite portion. The sample teach may pose a problem for applicants who are unsure about planning a lesson, but I recommend contacting alumni and keeping your sample lesson objective as SIMPLE as possible. (e.g. I witnessed a wonderful sample lesson all about "What is a Noun?")

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Questions

• TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews across rolling deadlines. 1. Online application, 2. Phone interview, 3. In-person interview and sample lesson.

Interview Questions

• There was a specific simulation question that was very difficult at the in-person interview day. It likely changes by year, interview location, and interview date. It asks you to solve a problem within the school and then the interviewer reacts as a certain actor in the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Raleigh, NC) in November 2010.

Interview

We had to first complete a lengthy application. It included a cover letter and a resume along with different questions. Then we had to complete an online activity that included reading articles and answering questions dealing with different situations.
    The in person interview took about a day and included group activities and discussions as well as a sample lesson.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

Interview

The initial interview is a phone interview with a TFA alum that's generally behavioral. It's basically a screening interview to make sure you have an idea of what you're getting into and also that you're passionate about the problems that TFA is trying to address.

The final interview is hard. It consists of a five-minute lesson plan that you must prepare ahead of time and "teach" it to the particular group you're assigned to for this interview round. Next, you'll take part of a group discussion centered around the readings that they ask you to read in preparation beforehand. Then, you'll take a written test that's really easy if you're good with numbers and data. Finally, you'll do a one-on-one interview with one of your interviewers from the previous group interview. They tell you right away that there are no quotas (this is true) so you're not competing against each other for a limited number of spots, but some people still act like they need to take you out in order to do well, especially during the group discussion. Just keep your cool and be assertive but don't stoop to their level.

I think, in the end, while I was really passionate about the issues around education inequality in our country, the experience just wasn't for me. And they saw that. You really need to look before you leap on this one. Do your research, make sure this is something you'd really want, and get lots of second opinions before deciding to go ahead with this.

Interview Questions

• Given that the kind of environment you would be working in as a teacher would be very challenging, how would you deal with burning out during your two years?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in April 2010.

Interview

The process begins with an online application that is pretty long. I think they focus on leadership skills, your ability to overcome adversity, and your mindset/rationle behind applying for this program (this is explained in one of the essays you need to write for the application). If you move past the online application, you will be schedule a phone interview (ex question: why do you think some parents aren't involved in their child's education). If selected to move on to the final interview day, you will take part in an all day in person interview that includes a sample lesson plan, testing, group discussions on prior reading, and a 1:1 interview where we had to role play a given situation, in addition to answering regular questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of a time when you experienced conflict with a supervisor or co-worker? How did you address this situation?   Answer Question