Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2017

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Once passing the 1st application phase, you go through a phone interview. During this interview they asked standard behavioral questions focusing on leadership skills. The difficult twist was that every question was within an obscure role on my resume, which I have heard is standard. The final round of interview was an all day experience. If you are truly passionate about the role and comfortable as a teacher it is not difficult. Interviewers were very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in January 2017.

Interview

1) 5 minute sample teaching lesson
    2) 15-20 minute group problem-solving and consensus building activity
    3) 20-30 minute presentation on Teach for America, its mission, and areas of particular need
    4) Sign up for individual interviews based on availability
    5) 45 minute individual interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Long process but organized and transparent. Phone interview first. Group interview where we responded to a scenario and communicated as a group. Also had a 1 on 1 interview at this group intereview day. Presented a sample lesson (5 minutes).

Interview Questions

• Plan and present a sample lesson   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Interview

online application, in-person interview. began in a group of 10 with 5 minute lesson plan demos. Very important to practice these and be very comfortable with presenting the lesson as well as answering possible questions by "students" who may have a tough time with the lesson. Then group activity discussing options concerning local school funding policies followed by a 1 on 1 interview.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There was an online application, plus an in person-interview (I skipped the phone interview process). The in-person interview was intense, a written test, a group cooperative activity, a sample lesson and then an individual interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever quit anything or would you ever consider quitting anything?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The initial essay is very short and simple, but if you are moved to the next round they hit you with 6 more essays and a few more tasks, all with deadlines at different times in the following week. The interview is not at all hard hitting. They focused on parts of my resume that I did not feel were most relevant to the position, but I think they were trying to hear more about my leadership positions. The teaching lesson is also simple. You can do it on anything at all, like how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Application

Interview

Very thorough interview process with 3 separate rounds. First round is pretty easy with answering questions and submitting your resume. If you make it to the next round, that is a phone interview. The final round is an in-person and group interview.

Interview Questions

• The final interview is a group-teach interview and then an in-person one-on-one interview. For the teaching assignment, you are given 5 minutes to teach a mini-lesson to the other applicants in the room. This interview ends with a role-play scenario that you are given the day of the interview and then a one-on-one.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Claremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Claremont, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The whole process took about two months. The online application is quite extensive with several short answer questions. Many applicants have a phone interview before they are asked to do an in-person interview, however some applicants go straight to the in-person interview. This was the case with me. The in-person interview was conducted at a location of your choice and was a group interview. Each applicant had to prepare a timed lesson plan to give to the two interviewers and the rest of the applicants. After the lessons were given, there was a group activity during which applicants had to analyze particular problems within the education system. The goal of this was to contribute and be respectful to other applicant's opinions. Later, each applicant signed up for a solo interview with one of the interviewers. After your solo interview was over the process was complete and TFA would notify you online if you got accepted and where your placement would be.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked with a team? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My interview was a full-day commitment that involved teaching a sample lesson, having a group discussion, and ended with a 1-on-1. This was with a group of 10-15 people, so part of the end of the day was spent waiting to have the 1-on-1. You were absolutely expected to show up on time and be prepared, and you only had about 5 minutes to "teach" your sample lesson, which meant picking an extremely simple task and breaking it down into extremely simple steps. I made sure I knew what my objective was and stuck to it!

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your time?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

First step was to apply online. After, you may be invited to a phone interview (asking behavioral questions). Third stage was an group-video interview session where we had to give a 5 minute lesson, then have a group discussion on an issue provided, and lastly had a one-on-one interview with the recruiter.