Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 26, 2017

3.5

213 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview was a full day. It consisted of a group discussion about articles, a teaching demo in front of the group, an a 1:1 interview with a former corps member.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

Application online, phone interview (everyone doesn't get a phone interview but that doesn't really affect your hiring chances), assessment or "online activity" that ask questions about various situations, 5 mins teaching lesson in front of other applicants, in person interview

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process took a very long time and required a lot of preparation. There were different stages with the final interview being with a group of applicants where you do a demo lesson and have a personal interview. Very time consuming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Long. They make you think you have a real chance at getting a position. Don't be fooled and believe that you are being favored. These recruiters are being told to do so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Apply online, then go in for a group interview (Super day esque). I applied for the junior early deadline.
    Online process is pretty straightforward - make sure you submit things on time and have someone read your essays for feedback/grammar. Try to polish up your resume and focus on achievements (with numbers). Obviously, be politically correct.
    In person day - teaching lesson is stressful, prep prep prep. Have some sort of props like handouts to use. Dig around on TFA website/internet to help prepare. Stick with simple lessons and have all your info written out ahead of time (name, subject .. etc). Practice and time yourself !!
    1 on 1 interview is a bit strange, make sure you can highlight leadership achievements and results. Pretty standard questions you'd expect in an interview, similar to the ones on here. Not too stressful, 45 min

Try to appear polished throughout the process, practice !! everything, look over the 8 things they want in candidates/mission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

It started with the 5 minute lesson plan and watching presentations. Then a small group conversation about a topic on an education issue. It ended with a 45 minute solo interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The application process was very extensive, and if you make it to the second round and are offered an interview, you are only given a few days to get letters of recommendation. I burned a bridge with an old professor by asking for it with such a quick turn around. The day of the interview, they make you block out an entire day from 9-5. The first part of the day you have to prepare a five minute mock lesson to present to two interviewers and about ten interviewees, and then with about four of the interviewees, you are presented with a situation as if you are on a school board and you have to deliberate possible solutions while an interviewer observes. Then you choose amongst yourselves when signing up for individual interview slots, the first starting immediately, the last requiring you to wait around for about five hours. Then, the individual interview lasts about an hour, mine a little longer. I was interviewed by a woman who worked in IT and had never been a corps member. I found that she was unable to answer many of my questions because they obviously had to do with the experience of teaching, the process, the training program, etc. She seemed annoyed that I kept asking questions she couldn't answer but I will not apologize for utilizing an interview for what it is meant to be, a forum for BOTH the interviewer AND the interviewee to determine if the position is a match. She also narrowed in on one leadership position I held in a club my freshman year, where I planned one event, kind of two, and repeatedly asked me to tell her about another event I planned in that position. She ignored my senior thesis and my junior year internship, and asked me this same question at least six times, at which point I clearly had no more experience in that position.

Interview Questions

• What's another event planning experience you had with your club? (x5)   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Filled out an online application, waited to hear about second round interviews. The interview took place over the course of a full day, including a sample lesson, a group activity and an individual interview. TFA sends materials about the interview process and that was very accurate as to how the day went.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Azusa, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Azusa, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online in about an hour and was invited to an interview about 2 weeks later, scheduled the interview a week after that. My interview was about a month after that.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with conflict with others? Follow up: How did you prevent future conflict.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

The process starts with a paper application with essay questions to respond to, then there is a phone interview with a staff member and another phone interview with a current corp member. An in-person interview held with a whole group of applicants where you have to present a lesson, engage in discussions with your peers, and do a one-on-one interview with a staff member.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with trying to set up a field trip when you are told there is not funding available?   1 Answer