Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 7, 2017

3.5

223 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The application process was very extensive, and if you make it to the second round and are offered an interview, you are only given a few days to get letters of recommendation. I burned a bridge with an old professor by asking for it with such a quick turn around. The day of the interview, they make you block out an entire day from 9-5. The first part of the day you have to prepare a five minute mock lesson to present to two interviewers and about ten interviewees, and then with about four of the interviewees, you are presented with a situation as if you are on a school board and you have to deliberate possible solutions while an interviewer observes. Then you choose amongst yourselves when signing up for individual interview slots, the first starting immediately, the last requiring you to wait around for about five hours. Then, the individual interview lasts about an hour, mine a little longer. I was interviewed by a woman who worked in IT and had never been a corps member. I found that she was unable to answer many of my questions because they obviously had to do with the experience of teaching, the process, the training program, etc. She seemed annoyed that I kept asking questions she couldn't answer but I will not apologize for utilizing an interview for what it is meant to be, a forum for BOTH the interviewer AND the interviewee to determine if the position is a match. She also narrowed in on one leadership position I held in a club my freshman year, where I planned one event, kind of two, and repeatedly asked me to tell her about another event I planned in that position. She ignored my senior thesis and my junior year internship, and asked me this same question at least six times, at which point I clearly had no more experience in that position.

Interview Questions

• What's another event planning experience you had with your club? (x5)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

It started with the 5 minute lesson plan and watching presentations. Then a small group conversation about a topic on an education issue. It ended with a 45 minute solo interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

On the interview day, you will start off with 5 minutes teaching with other candidates as your students. Then, there will be a group activity/discussion, you will be asked to discuss about an education-related problem with your group and come up with a solution. They will briefly talk about TFA and its impact, before an individual interview in the afternoon.

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

5 minute teaching lesson, group activity, time to learn about TFA and ask questions, then personal interviews. It was pretty laid back, and the interviewers were very nice. They made you feel comfortable - the teaching lesson was what people were really nervous about, but everyone was super nice and it was actually really fun.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do TFA, time you missed a deadline, interpersonal conflicts   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Once passing the 1st application phase, you go through a phone interview. During this interview they asked standard behavioral questions focusing on leadership skills. The difficult twist was that every question was within an obscure role on my resume, which I have heard is standard. The final round of interview was an all day experience. If you are truly passionate about the role and comfortable as a teacher it is not difficult. Interviewers were very friendly and welcoming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Bowling Green, KY) in February 2017.

Interview

Was selected for a virtual group interview. It was a little bit awkward and intimidating. Had to do a 5 minute interactive sample teaching lesson. This was very difficult to do because of the virtual atmosphere. This was followed by an hour long one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you ever missed a deadline   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2017.

Interview

Begins with your five-minute sample lesson, then a group exercise. After that, we get to know the TFA employees in the room and about TFA in general, and then we break off into individual interviews. The individual interview lasts about an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was long and tedious, and it was clear they wanted something specific in each round. Recruiters asking you too look very carefully at their core values. The first rounds were simple, just a phone call and then the final round you had to prepare a teaching segment which was more challenging. The final round one-on-one interview was okay, but it was a bit annoying the recruiter never bothered to look up and typed the whole time.

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ann Arbor, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview was an all day affair, starting in the morning with a group interview, and afternoon with a personal interview. For the group interview, you had to prepare a sample teaching lesson, which I recommend practicing ALOT. I went through by assignment about 20 times. You then break off into the personal interviews, where each person goes one at a time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview is an all day interview either held virtually or at a TFA office. Starts with a 5-minute lesson, where you present a sample teaching lesson in front of the other interviewees. After everyone presents, you have a group case study over pre-interview articles. Following that is an hour behavioral interview (one-on -one)