Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Apply online, phone interview (roughly 30 mins), final interview. The final interview is what takes the most preparation. You have to submit several documents, gather two recommenders and a reference, and prepare a 5 min lesson. The interview itself takes all day and consists of a group activity, the lessons, a presentation and finally the one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The hiring process included a written application, phone interview, online activity, and in person final interview. The final interview included the presentation of a 5 minute lesson plan with 1 minute of prep time. I saw many people go over their prep time and then go on to not finish their lesson in the remaining time. They had a struct cut off at the end of the 5 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What did you take away from the most challenging course you've taken and what did it teach you about how you would like to run your classroom?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, then I was invited to an in person interview. Questions are very specific based on leadership experience on application, so they guide you to talk about specific examples and positions. Interviewers are very kind and strongly believe in TFA mission.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview was incredibly time consuming, from when you first apply you are in the process for months. Additionally I had to prepare a lesson to teach, with very few guidelines. I felt that the interview was more focused on feelings rather than on measured achievement and student results. Additionally I asked questions about some of the common criticisms of Teach for America, and while I know I was not a perfect applicant I think that may have been part of the reason I was not offered a position.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

After the initial application, they have a phone interview, and a final interview. The final interview has the famous 5-minute lesson plan. Be sure to practice this many times because they are absolutely strict on the time limit. I was actually surprised to find that many questions were focusing on your extracurricular and leadership activities rather than teaching or college courses.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a challenge aspect of your experience at [extracurricular activity]?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Final interview was collaborative and long. It involved a group activity about school funding cuts, short lessons from the entire group of interviewees, and a one-on-one interview. There was also a presentation on educational equity during which questions were welcomed. The interview was altogether a positive experience and not as intimidating as it sounds.

Interview Questions

• The interview picked a very specific and obscure part of my resume and asked me a number of questions about it, including challenges in that position and how I overcame them.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2015.

Interview

The interview felt very natural and I didn't feel overwhelmed about preparing for it because I wanted it to be so. The interviewer asked deeper questions about things that they were already made aware of through my application, so elaborating on them was fine. I honestly believe that my background and past experiences made me a natural fit for a program like TFA, however, so I do believe that I may have had somewhat of an advantage. I think that as long as you believe that you deserve to be a Corps Member and will do your best, that will shine through in your interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Cleveland, OH) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in October, and do not find out if I get the position until January. Intensive interview process. Online application, then phone interview, the in person. The in person interview lasts all day. It is nerve wracking, but definitely worth it because they really want to make sure you can handle the job.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

The full-day interview includes teaching demonstration, group discussion, and individual interview. For the teaching demonstration, it is imperative that you follow "I do, you do, we do" format. Don't ever just lecture at the kids. Also have something to assess the students' level of understanding. It is also important that you abide by the time limit; the interviewers will be very strict about that.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

The final interview is a day long process. It began with a group interview during which each person in the group taught a mini lesson for 5 min (there were 12 people in the group and two recruiters). Then we had a group activity followed by an hour long one-on-one interview. Make sure you read of the prep materials they give you before the interview and that you have a few answers ready that follow the STAR method.

Interview Questions

• What would make you quit your position? When was a time you failed and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question