Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

Standard TFA Process; Several levels of screening. Included a long online application, a phone interview. An in-person interview day with presentations, a group discussion, and in-person interview. The interview day was competitive but not as bad as many people had described it as.

Interview Questions

• Q: Give me an example of a time you failed and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2015.

Interview

The entire interview process was long but it is understandable why it has to be. First you have to go through their filling our their application, which is long. Then if you get a phone interview you have to do that. Then if you are lucky, you move on to an interview day (either in person or via computer). Then they finally give you a response 3 weeks later.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

A series of online short answer questions, then a final interview. At the final interview: a 5 minute lesson that was strictly timed, group discussion about a education policy scenario/dilemma, individual 40 minute interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation: take it or leave it offer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Rigorous. I skipped the phone interview.
    Teach For America wants to see that you've been a leader in your classroom. Teach For America also likes to see data and numbers to quantify the accomplishments that you've had in the leadership roles.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

3 Phase Application Process
    1. An online application- a few short answers and a couple of essays
    2. Phone interview- about a 30 minute skype interview (basic questions on your interest in joining the Corps)
    3. In person interview- 5-minute lesson plan, followed by group work and concluding in an interview

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you took during your undergrad years?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Very friendly and kind. There is an online application an then a phone interview and then a in person interview. You will have to do a sample lesson for 5 minutes, as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO).

Interview

After submitting my application, I was asked several weeks later about attending an interview in person. The interview style was very unique - it was an all day process. There were 2 interviewers and a group of several of us. In the morning, we all gave 5 minute lessons we had previously prepared as well as a group problem solving activity and individual interviews in the afternoon. We all had to pick a time to sign up for, some people had to wait several hours between the group interview and their individual time. The one on one interview asked very standard questions, I was mostly asked to elaborate on responses to application questions and things on my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Long process that included a phone interview as well as in person interview. They make you do a teaching sample that requires a decent amount of preparation. Also included is a group session where you discuss a difficult problem facing schools in a poor region. They are looking to see if you can work with people to reach a good solution in a no-win situation.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Application with a few short response prompts, phone interview, online activity, then final day with 5 min. mock lesson, group discussion/project, and 1 on 1 interview. Entire process took about 3 months from initial application to final notification. Phone interview went well and was relatively relaxed, but 1 on 1 in person interview was a lot more challenging and intimidating. They repeated a few of the same questions from the phone interview, which got a little confusing because it wasn't clear if they wanted the same answer again or something different. Overall still a nice experience, and I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you failed at something and how you responded to that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

After completing an online application consisting of questions regarding background information and past experiences I was selected for a phone interview. I was able to choose a day and time online. I was contacted by a TFA representative who conducted the interview. It was very formal and structred. I was then contacted for an in person interview which consisted of a sample teaching lesson, group activity and one on one interview. Be prepared for your lesson and participate during the group activity. The in person interview was much like the phone interview asking most of the same standard questions. Be able to explain every detail of your resume. You never know what they may reference.