Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Bowling Green, KY) in February 2017.

Interview

Was selected for a virtual group interview. It was a little bit awkward and intimidating. Had to do a 5 minute interactive sample teaching lesson. This was very difficult to do because of the virtual atmosphere. This was followed by an hour long one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you ever missed a deadline   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

After the initial online application, I met with a recruiter in person. I was invited to an in-person interview. Then there is a long written component to the application, involving multiple essay questions, called a "pre-interview activity", as well as several readings to complete. The in-person interview consisted of five-minute sample lesson plans, a group activity (you have to come to a consensus in a roleplaying scenario: closing failing schools vs. firing teachers. The answer they want is closing the schools), and then finally the one-on-one interview. I found this to be very impersonal; the interviewer takes extensive notes on their laptop while you explain your answers to questions that are basically a reiteration of the pre-interview essays. There's little to no eye contact, just the constant clicking of their typing. Yikes!

This entire process took about 2.5 months. Progress is drawn-out, and you have to jump through so many hoops (including finding references who are willing to write very detailed recommendation surveys, as well as manually typing out all of the courses on your college transcript). After all of this, I did not receive an offer, and was rejected with an impersonal form letter.

Part of me wonders if I did not get the job because there is a question on the financial aid part of the application asking if you own a car. I explained that I do not currently have a car, but that I will obtain one before I graduate. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing why I was not accepted, because TFA refuses to provide feedback regarding admissions decisions. This, combined with their claim to provide a "holistic" assessment of your qualifications, makes it impossible to know whether one is being discriminated against. Since their application process is so rigorous and drawn-out, it seems the least they can do is provide feedback upon request. I feel as though I wasted so much time and energy on this process, and I am crushed that I did not get in; I really do believe in their mission. But overall, my experience was not positive. It was cold and impersonal.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a disagreement with a superior   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Once passing the 1st application phase, you go through a phone interview. During this interview they asked standard behavioral questions focusing on leadership skills. The difficult twist was that every question was within an obscure role on my resume, which I have heard is standard. The final round of interview was an all day experience. If you are truly passionate about the role and comfortable as a teacher it is not difficult. Interviewers were very friendly and welcoming.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in January 2017.

Interview

1) 5 minute sample teaching lesson
    2) 15-20 minute group problem-solving and consensus building activity
    3) 20-30 minute presentation on Teach for America, its mission, and areas of particular need
    4) Sign up for individual interviews based on availability
    5) 45 minute individual interview

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There was an online application, plus an in person-interview (I skipped the phone interview process). The in-person interview was intense, a written test, a group cooperative activity, a sample lesson and then an individual interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever quit anything or would you ever consider quitting anything?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Very thorough interview process with 3 separate rounds. First round is pretty easy with answering questions and submitting your resume. If you make it to the next round, that is a phone interview. The final round is an in-person and group interview.

Interview Questions

• The final interview is a group-teach interview and then an in-person one-on-one interview. For the teaching assignment, you are given 5 minutes to teach a mini-lesson to the other applicants in the room. This interview ends with a role-play scenario that you are given the day of the interview and then a one-on-one.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My interview was a full-day commitment that involved teaching a sample lesson, having a group discussion, and ended with a 1-on-1. This was with a group of 10-15 people, so part of the end of the day was spent waiting to have the 1-on-1. You were absolutely expected to show up on time and be prepared, and you only had about 5 minutes to "teach" your sample lesson, which meant picking an extremely simple task and breaking it down into extremely simple steps. I made sure I knew what my objective was and stuck to it!

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your time?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

First step was to apply online. After, you may be invited to a phone interview (asking behavioral questions). Third stage was an group-video interview session where we had to give a 5 minute lesson, then have a group discussion on an issue provided, and lastly had a one-on-one interview with the recruiter.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

The final interview is a day long process. It began with a group interview during which each person in the group taught a mini lesson for 5 min (there were 12 people in the group and two recruiters). Then we had a group activity followed by an hour long one-on-one interview. Make sure you read of the prep materials they give you before the interview and that you have a few answers ready that follow the STAR method.

Interview Questions

• What would make you quit your position? When was a time you failed and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boulder, CO) in March 2012.

Interview

online application and in person group and individual interviews. Sample lesson teaching experience in the in-person interview. lots of questions about values, experience in low income communities, ideas about education and the role of education in closing economics and education disparities.

Interview Questions

• lots of questions about values, experience in low income communities, ideas about education and the role of education in closing economics and education disparities.   Answer Question