Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The initial essay is very short and simple, but if you are moved to the next round they hit you with 6 more essays and a few more tasks, all with deadlines at different times in the following week. The interview is not at all hard hitting. They focused on parts of my resume that I did not feel were most relevant to the position, but I think they were trying to hear more about my leadership positions. The teaching lesson is also simple. You can do it on anything at all, like how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Very thorough interview process with 3 separate rounds. First round is pretty easy with answering questions and submitting your resume. If you make it to the next round, that is a phone interview. The final round is an in-person and group interview.

Interview Questions

• The final interview is a group-teach interview and then an in-person one-on-one interview. For the teaching assignment, you are given 5 minutes to teach a mini-lesson to the other applicants in the room. This interview ends with a role-play scenario that you are given the day of the interview and then a one-on-one.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Claremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Claremont, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The whole process took about two months. The online application is quite extensive with several short answer questions. Many applicants have a phone interview before they are asked to do an in-person interview, however some applicants go straight to the in-person interview. This was the case with me. The in-person interview was conducted at a location of your choice and was a group interview. Each applicant had to prepare a timed lesson plan to give to the two interviewers and the rest of the applicants. After the lessons were given, there was a group activity during which applicants had to analyze particular problems within the education system. The goal of this was to contribute and be respectful to other applicant's opinions. Later, each applicant signed up for a solo interview with one of the interviewers. After your solo interview was over the process was complete and TFA would notify you online if you got accepted and where your placement would be.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked with a team? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My interview was a full-day commitment that involved teaching a sample lesson, having a group discussion, and ended with a 1-on-1. This was with a group of 10-15 people, so part of the end of the day was spent waiting to have the 1-on-1. You were absolutely expected to show up on time and be prepared, and you only had about 5 minutes to "teach" your sample lesson, which meant picking an extremely simple task and breaking it down into extremely simple steps. I made sure I knew what my objective was and stuck to it!

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your time?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

First step was to apply online. After, you may be invited to a phone interview (asking behavioral questions). Third stage was an group-video interview session where we had to give a 5 minute lesson, then have a group discussion on an issue provided, and lastly had a one-on-one interview with the recruiter.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

After the initial application, they have a phone interview, and a final interview. The final interview has the famous 5-minute lesson plan. Be sure to practice this many times because they are absolutely strict on the time limit. I was actually surprised to find that many questions were focusing on your extracurricular and leadership activities rather than teaching or college courses.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a challenge aspect of your experience at [extracurricular activity]?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2012.

Interview

Lengthy. I had an online application and was forwarded directly to the final interview which consisted of a sample lesson, a group activity, and a one-on-one traditional interview. The final interview basically took an entire day. Most people have a phone interview after the online application, however. Not completely sure how they decide who to omit from this stage.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

Standard TFA Process; Several levels of screening. Included a long online application, a phone interview. An in-person interview day with presentations, a group discussion, and in-person interview. The interview day was competitive but not as bad as many people had described it as.

Interview Questions

• Q: Give me an example of a time you failed and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2015.

Interview

The interview felt very natural and I didn't feel overwhelmed about preparing for it because I wanted it to be so. The interviewer asked deeper questions about things that they were already made aware of through my application, so elaborating on them was fine. I honestly believe that my background and past experiences made me a natural fit for a program like TFA, however, so I do believe that I may have had somewhat of an advantage. I think that as long as you believe that you deserve to be a Corps Member and will do your best, that will shine through in your interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, then I was invited to an in person interview. Questions are very specific based on leadership experience on application, so they guide you to talk about specific examples and positions. Interviewers are very kind and strongly believe in TFA mission.