Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.5

212 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Final interview was collaborative and long. It involved a group activity about school funding cuts, short lessons from the entire group of interviewees, and a one-on-one interview. There was also a presentation on educational equity during which questions were welcomed. The interview was altogether a positive experience and not as intimidating as it sounds.

Interview Questions

• The interview picked a very specific and obscure part of my resume and asked me a number of questions about it, including challenges in that position and how I overcame them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2015.

Interview

The interview felt very natural and I didn't feel overwhelmed about preparing for it because I wanted it to be so. The interviewer asked deeper questions about things that they were already made aware of through my application, so elaborating on them was fine. I honestly believe that my background and past experiences made me a natural fit for a program like TFA, however, so I do believe that I may have had somewhat of an advantage. I think that as long as you believe that you deserve to be a Corps Member and will do your best, that will shine through in your interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Cleveland, OH) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in October, and do not find out if I get the position until January. Intensive interview process. Online application, then phone interview, the in person. The in person interview lasts all day. It is nerve wracking, but definitely worth it because they really want to make sure you can handle the job.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

The full-day interview includes teaching demonstration, group discussion, and individual interview. For the teaching demonstration, it is imperative that you follow "I do, you do, we do" format. Don't ever just lecture at the kids. Also have something to assess the students' level of understanding. It is also important that you abide by the time limit; the interviewers will be very strict about that.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

The final interview is a day long process. It began with a group interview during which each person in the group taught a mini lesson for 5 min (there were 12 people in the group and two recruiters). Then we had a group activity followed by an hour long one-on-one interview. Make sure you read of the prep materials they give you before the interview and that you have a few answers ready that follow the STAR method.

Interview Questions

• What would make you quit your position? When was a time you failed and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Burlington, VT) in November 2015.

Interview

Long process, but very thorough and enjoyable. Everyone clearly loves their job and has alot of positive things to say about the company. There were also recruiters available to answer any questions at every step of the process.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

Standard TFA Process; Several levels of screening. Included a long online application, a phone interview. An in-person interview day with presentations, a group discussion, and in-person interview. The interview day was competitive but not as bad as many people had described it as.

Interview Questions

• Q: Give me an example of a time you failed and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2015.

Interview

The entire interview process was long but it is understandable why it has to be. First you have to go through their filling our their application, which is long. Then if you get a phone interview you have to do that. Then if you are lucky, you move on to an interview day (either in person or via computer). Then they finally give you a response 3 weeks later.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

A series of online short answer questions, then a final interview. At the final interview: a 5 minute lesson that was strictly timed, group discussion about a education policy scenario/dilemma, individual 40 minute interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation: take it or leave it offer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Rigorous. I skipped the phone interview.
    Teach For America wants to see that you've been a leader in your classroom. Teach For America also likes to see data and numbers to quantify the accomplishments that you've had in the leadership roles.