Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.5

212 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2012.

Interview

Lengthy. I had an online application and was forwarded directly to the final interview which consisted of a sample lesson, a group activity, and a one-on-one traditional interview. The final interview basically took an entire day. Most people have a phone interview after the online application, however. Not completely sure how they decide who to omit from this stage.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

Standard TFA Process; Several levels of screening. Included a long online application, a phone interview. An in-person interview day with presentations, a group discussion, and in-person interview. The interview day was competitive but not as bad as many people had described it as.

Interview Questions

• Q: Give me an example of a time you failed and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2015.

Interview

The interview felt very natural and I didn't feel overwhelmed about preparing for it because I wanted it to be so. The interviewer asked deeper questions about things that they were already made aware of through my application, so elaborating on them was fine. I honestly believe that my background and past experiences made me a natural fit for a program like TFA, however, so I do believe that I may have had somewhat of an advantage. I think that as long as you believe that you deserve to be a Corps Member and will do your best, that will shine through in your interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, then I was invited to an in person interview. Questions are very specific based on leadership experience on application, so they guide you to talk about specific examples and positions. Interviewers are very kind and strongly believe in TFA mission.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Grueling. Begins with an invite or rejection to a phone interview, then an interview where you present a lesson plan, then do a group activity, then finally have the interview. I am not sure what they were looking for at this point.

Interview Questions

• About difficult times in your life, time management, how you solve problems, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Apply online, phone interview (roughly 30 mins), final interview. The final interview is what takes the most preparation. You have to submit several documents, gather two recommenders and a reference, and prepare a 5 min lesson. The interview itself takes all day and consists of a group activity, the lessons, a presentation and finally the one-on-one interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The hiring process included a written application, phone interview, online activity, and in person final interview. The final interview included the presentation of a 5 minute lesson plan with 1 minute of prep time. I saw many people go over their prep time and then go on to not finish their lesson in the remaining time. They had a struct cut off at the end of the 5 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What did you take away from the most challenging course you've taken and what did it teach you about how you would like to run your classroom?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

The final interview is a day long process. It began with a group interview during which each person in the group taught a mini lesson for 5 min (there were 12 people in the group and two recruiters). Then we had a group activity followed by an hour long one-on-one interview. Make sure you read of the prep materials they give you before the interview and that you have a few answers ready that follow the STAR method.

Interview Questions

• What would make you quit your position? When was a time you failed and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview was incredibly time consuming, from when you first apply you are in the process for months. Additionally I had to prepare a lesson to teach, with very few guidelines. I felt that the interview was more focused on feelings rather than on measured achievement and student results. Additionally I asked questions about some of the common criticisms of Teach for America, and while I know I was not a perfect applicant I think that may have been part of the reason I was not offered a position.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

A series of online short answer questions, then a final interview. At the final interview: a 5 minute lesson that was strictly timed, group discussion about a education policy scenario/dilemma, individual 40 minute interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation: take it or leave it offer