Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 26, 2017

3.5

213 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO).

Interview

After submitting my application, I was asked several weeks later about attending an interview in person. The interview style was very unique - it was an all day process. There were 2 interviewers and a group of several of us. In the morning, we all gave 5 minute lessons we had previously prepared as well as a group problem solving activity and individual interviews in the afternoon. We all had to pick a time to sign up for, some people had to wait several hours between the group interview and their individual time. The one on one interview asked very standard questions, I was mostly asked to elaborate on responses to application questions and things on my resume.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

Phone interview to briefly go over resume, then full day interview including a group role play of how would you work with other decision makers in a school, a prepared 5 minute lesson, then an individual session with one of the interviewers

Interview Questions

• How would you handle rejection of your proposal to improve student achievement?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

After completing an online application consisting of questions regarding background information and past experiences I was selected for a phone interview. I was able to choose a day and time online. I was contacted by a TFA representative who conducted the interview. It was very formal and structred. I was then contacted for an in person interview which consisted of a sample teaching lesson, group activity and one on one interview. Be prepared for your lesson and participate during the group activity. The in person interview was much like the phone interview asking most of the same standard questions. Be able to explain every detail of your resume. You never know what they may reference.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Application with a few short response prompts, phone interview, online activity, then final day with 5 min. mock lesson, group discussion/project, and 1 on 1 interview. Entire process took about 3 months from initial application to final notification. Phone interview went well and was relatively relaxed, but 1 on 1 in person interview was a lot more challenging and intimidating. They repeated a few of the same questions from the phone interview, which got a little confusing because it wasn't clear if they wanted the same answer again or something different. Overall still a nice experience, and I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you failed at something and how you responded to that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Very long process: applied in December, decision not available till March. Three rounds of interview: Phone interview, online interview/quiz, final interview at a local university. Final interview was very straightforward. TFA does good job at laying out the expectations of the final interview. Final interview requires a 5-minute lesson plan where you can teach whatever you want. be creative and engaging. Don't just sit there and speak.

Interview Questions

• Why TFA? Why not another teaching organization like Fellows?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The hiring process includes an online application, phone interview, online activity, and final interview. Although this is the full multi-step layout, some applicants may be invited straight to the final interview and thus be able to skip the phone interview and/or online activity portions. Over all, Teach For America is an amazing organization and their leadership team members were very informative and positive to interact with throughout the entire recruitment/application process.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO) in January 2011.

Interview

The application process occurs in three stages. The first one is an online application that is exceptionally lengthy. Once you get past this round, there is a phone interview where the person on the other line asks you general questions. The interviewer also asks you engage in a role play which is usually between a teacher and parent. Lastly, the third interview is in person and consists of a 5-min lesson, group activity, and in-person interview.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Disliked phone interview, interrogation style. Final, in person interview was filled with group activities. I enjoyed the micro teach, but the group work was chaotic. There were about 15 people interviewing and everyone was trying to talk over one another. After I got the offer, I literally was called three times a day. They can be incredibly aggressive and this attitude ultimately made me not accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: Asked extreme detail about of my previous jobs. A lot of how I felt and why I reacted that way.   Answer Question

Incredibly aggressive recruitment technique. I did not feel respected and got some bad vibes.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

The in-person process was a day long and took up very much time and effort. There were so many activities including a prepared 5-minute lesson and pre-interview work that took approximately an hour. Some applicants will also have to do a phone interview screening which takes approximately 30 minutes. Rest assured that every applicant who is qualified will be hired. The first part of the interview is the lesson in which over 30 people in a room gave the lesson they prepared. Then, there is a fishbowl activity in which the groups are split up and given a question to answer, usually having to do with a school. Finally, there is the personal interview which takes up about a half hour after the lesson, usually following a lunch break.

Interview Questions

• You are in a group of teachers whose principal has chosen to change the curriculum that you are teaching. How will you present to the principal that the curriculum should or should not be changed? (group activity)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as to compensation, but there were options as to where geographically you wanted to go.