Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2015.

Interview

The entire interview process was long but it is understandable why it has to be. First you have to go through their filling our their application, which is long. Then if you get a phone interview you have to do that. Then if you are lucky, you move on to an interview day (either in person or via computer). Then they finally give you a response 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Cleveland, OH) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in October, and do not find out if I get the position until January. Intensive interview process. Online application, then phone interview, the in person. The in person interview lasts all day. It is nerve wracking, but definitely worth it because they really want to make sure you can handle the job.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Went into a room. They asked me to present a lesson. Then we had a group discussion. Then we took a break. Then they called us back for individual interviews later in the day and then later in the day they asked me questions about my leadership.

Interview Questions

• When have you quit something?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Syracuse, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied, had a phone interview and then an in person interview. In the in person interview you are expected to teach a mini-lesson. The in person interview involved both a group setting and then an individual interview.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Final interview was collaborative and long. It involved a group activity about school funding cuts, short lessons from the entire group of interviewees, and a one-on-one interview. There was also a presentation on educational equity during which questions were welcomed. The interview was altogether a positive experience and not as intimidating as it sounds.

Interview Questions

• The interview picked a very specific and obscure part of my resume and asked me a number of questions about it, including challenges in that position and how I overcame them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Oxford, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview consists of three rounds. First, you complete an online application at the organization's website. Second, you complete a 30-45 minute phone interview with a TFA representative. Third, you are invited to a day-long in-person, group interview. The day includes a demo lesson to the group, a case-study based upon pre-reading, and a 1-1 interview with one of TFA's interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Would there be anything that would cause you to end your 2-year commitment as a corps member? Why do you care about education equity? What experiences have prepared you to work in a high-poverty school?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted my position and found out my salary several months later, after being hired by a school in my region.

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Burlington, VT) in November 2015.

Interview

Long process, but very thorough and enjoyable. Everyone clearly loves their job and has alot of positive things to say about the company. There were also recruiters available to answer any questions at every step of the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Long process that included a phone interview as well as in person interview. They make you do a teaching sample that requires a decent amount of preparation. Also included is a group session where you discuss a difficult problem facing schools in a poor region. They are looking to see if you can work with people to reach a good solution in a no-win situation.

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ithaca, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

There is a phone and in-person interview. Not all corps members had to go through the phone interview. The in-person interview is a 5-minute teaching segment that you conduct on your own. The lesson can be anything you choose to do. Following is an informal interview where you can ask about the position and the training process.

Interview Questions

• What questions do you have about the organization?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in May 2013.

Interview

The process is very linear. First, you will submit your application, then phone interview, and lastly you will have the group interview. Most people are worried about the final interview because you are required to do a 5-minute sample lesson. The sample lesson is incredibly easy looking back but it is intimidating in the moment. Pick something easy and measurable (math etc.) that can be taught in 5 minutes. Otherwise, research the organization and know exactly why you think TFA is the next best step for you personally.