Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2017

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Interview

Completed an online application. Then got selected for a phone interview where I was asked basic questions regarding my answers on the online application. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I got a final in-person interview. My interview took place virtually. It was broken up into group activities, teaching simulation, and one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Began with an online interview, and was then invited to a phone interview. The recruiting manager of my area was very involved with my whole application, and we had a phone meeting as well as an online group meeting for the people who had been invited for phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• I would say about 80% of the interview questions were about one activity that I had listed on my resume (i.e., Tell me about a time that you faced adversity.. in the context of ___.)   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

You apply online then you may be selected to a phone interview. Then you may be selected to the inperson group interview. I didnt get past the phone interview, though I hit t off with my interviewer. It's understandable--I know the interviewers don't have power over who can move on or not just because you had a great conversation. It was a behavioral interview, so be prepared for that. They really look for leaders and people who overcome hard situations who are good problem solvers and multitaskers.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is long and involves a lot of periodic submissions (online activity, transcript, recommendations, etc.) My original application paid off, however, and I didn't have to participate in the phone interviews which helped me focus more on the other parts of the application process.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Pretty intense process. First an online application then a phone interview, and if you make it past the phone interview you will have a final interview that includes a lesson plan presentation, one-one and group interview, and role-playing

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions. Found most of them on glassdoor. Just do your research   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

The hiring and interview process was quite simple and predictable. Apply, receive online notification. Receive phone interview, receive in-person interview (group interview, model lesson, individual interview). Several weeks later receive decision notification.

Interview Questions

• Imagine that you work in a failing school evidenced by student achievement data. Students do not want to come to school, parents are not involved, teachers have low morale. Which of these constituent groups is the key to success in turning the school around? What would you do with this one constituent group to fix their collective problem?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

A very standard interview, besides the group part. But don't be intimidated by that; I believe they use it to weed out those with public speaking issues and those who are so antisocial that they can't fake it for 10 minutes. The one on one was simple. Simple questions, give simple/honest answers. But make sure to tell them you will not quit; that's what TFA is looking for (people who won't quit no matter how ridiculous their situation).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation or even decisions to be had; you say yes and they place you without you having any say.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

There is a 5 stage interview, application, phone interview, three part in person interview. The interview process is very intense and detailed. Be prepared to answer behavioral questions. Try to align your answers/application to the core values and be sure to provide quantitative examples.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There is a 5 stage interview, application, phone interview, three part in person interview. The interview is super intensive, like an interrogation almost. They are going to through trick questions, a ton of behavioral questions. i think this interview doesn't really capture what tfa is all about.

Interview Questions

• what are your core values?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation. the employee has no voice.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Very thorough interview process with very good communication throughout entire process. After submitting my application online, I received an email shortly thereafter indicating I had been selected for a phone interview. The phone interview was about 20 minutes and was comprised of mostly behavioral style interview questions (i.e., Give me an example of a time when you faced adversity...). The phone interview was conducted by a bubbly female who stuck to a pre-determined script. Following the phone interview, I was selected for an on-site interview at a university about 45 minutes from my home. I received a very detailed email including all of the interview expectations and logistics. This interview included one-on-one and group interviews, as well as a 5-minute demonstration lesson taught by each candidate (there were about 10-15 candidates in a board room). Following the on-site interviews, it seemed like forever until "notification day," when we received an email stating whether or not we had been accepted into the Corps and our placement if accepted. I was overjoyed to received my acceptance email after a very thorough interview process. There was a second set of interviews after being accepted into the corps, which took place in our assigned city so that we could be interviewed by local schools in anticipation of our local placement. This was a fun day which involved "round robin" style interviewing with multiple school principals & school administrators. Each interview had a different feel, but the interviewers were all diligent about trying to find the best fit for their staff & school.

Interview Questions

• Almost all of the questions were behavioral in nature, so be prepared with tons of examples about how you overcame adversity, dealt with a challenge, failed, succeeded, showed leadership, etc. However, one principal asked a really bizarre riddle similar to the Google interview questions and I had no idea how to answer. I did not get hired by that school (lol).   Answer Question

Negotiation

There are two offer stages -- you get offered by Teach For America, and then you get offered by a local school. These offers don't happen at the same time. You really only have two choices: accept or decline. There was not much room for negotiating salary with the local school. We just received a contract stating we would make about $42000 in the first year, so we all signed.