Teach for America Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 1, 2017

3.4

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA does an amazing job with the interview process. It started with a phone interview with human resources, then a phone call with hiring manager and a follow up call with examples of work. Finally there was an assignment that you completed and discussed at the last in-person interview. Very professional and thorough.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Do not really negotiate pay - human resources specifically tells you they will not negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

There was a role play involved in which I was asked to pretend I was in the position for which I was applying. It definitely was not too difficult at all, and mostly you needed common sense in order to get through it. Overall, I think that the interviewers were quite professional and made a strong effort to make me feel comfortable. Also, once I received the offer, I was called by a few people from the org to discuss the job. In sum, I had a pretty positive interview experience with Teach For America.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you are [person in the job for which I was applying]. How would you react to Situation X?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Process began with a 30 minute phone interview to assess whether there was a culture fit.

Then was given a round of exercises, followed by a call to discuss the exercises, and a couple behavioral questions.

Couple more rounds of phone interviews, followed by another round of exercises. I don't think this is common, but it can happen.

Interview Questions

• Scenario role play: A colleague is opposed to a project that you have been assigned to. You need her help to successfully complete the project. How would you address this.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in January 2013.

Interview

3 interviews, phone, 2 in person. Very straight forward- Know your role and work and the interview will be easy. 1 take home project submitted relating to the role was assigned and submitted.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Very friendly and kind. There is an online application an then a phone interview and then a in person interview. You will have to do a sample lesson for 5 minutes, as well.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge you have overcome and how can you bring that experience to improve yourself in the future?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Francisco, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

The process is long and there is a lot of emphasis on your understanding of TFA as an organization. I would say it's tedious and there's a lot of people chiming in which results in answering the same basic questions over and over.

Interview Questions

• What is your knowledge about the education situation in this city and how does TFA factor into that situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (Durham, NC) in July 2014.

Interview

In-depth Q&A by supervisor and colleague. They took turns asking questions that had been previously prepared. There was not much veering off of the scripted questions. Interviewers were friendly and professional and made me feel very welcome.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you value diversity in the workplace.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

- Exercises related to the core functions of the role: Data analysis, role plays, sample project plans
    - Opportunities to showcase my accomplishments while reflecting on what could have been better

Interview Questions

• Questions related to using data to influence decision-making   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

The first interview discussed my qualifications and understanding of organization mission. The interviewer was very personable and shared information on her experience with company. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. This was a first round screening interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a challenge you faced and how you solved the problem?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by human assets for a 30 interview on core values. Followed by in person meeting with direct manager. Written assignment included a major project plan and then a phone interview with 2 other team members. Final interview was with an executive director of another regional office.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was offered a salary above posted starting rate.

Have seen other applicants negotiations fall through and offers be withdrawn because we are a nonprofit, I have not yet seen them negotiate.