Teach for America Interview Questions in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 6, 2017

3.6

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX).

Interview

Online application, then you are notified if you have been selected for an interview...after this you have to upload transcripts, and enter all your credits and classes manually for all semesters online, and prepare for a 5 minute teaching lesson. The lesson can be any subject grades k-12....also you need to read some online material that will be used during a group activity in which the interviewers don't participate in, but just watch to see who is talking, or referencing the online material. The group has to act like school board members and have to make a ruling on a problem. There is no right or wrong answer to the ruling. Then you have a lunch break, sign up for your personal interview time slot, and wait. The personal interview is about an hour long. A week later they emailed us if we got the position or not. No reason is given if you are not hired.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I started an application online and I later received an email from a campus recruiter. They really did push me to apply but they were helpful in all stages of the application and interview process. I did not have to do the phone interview and moved on to the in-person interview stage. I enjoyed the 5 minute lesson plan but I would recommend preparing and practicing something fun and manageable. The time goes by faster than you think! The group interview was okay although I always hate them. During my individual interview, my interviewer really narrowed in on one leadership experience that I put on my resume. Overall it was an okay interview process.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter over the phone. She range me up and asked me questions. She put me at ease and stressed there was no reason to worry, which was nice. She said "perfect" often, which made me think I was going to move further in the process

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized?
      Describe how you overcame a hard time.
      Answer Question

Chief of Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Long and tedious. Consisted of more than 5 interviews in the odd most order. Started with Human Resources, then local CEO, then multiple program staff and additionally other staff members...

Interview Questions

• Complete your response to a two page problem statement - Case Study. Expect charts, graphs, sample policies and approach.   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

I received first contact with Teach for America from a on campus recruiter who strongly encouraged me to apply based off my leadership endeavors during undergrad. The first step was to fill out an online application which consisted of basic questions, a two page essay, and a resume.

Around a week and a half later, I received an email requesting a phone interview. During the phone interview, they asked basic behavioral questions (tell me about yourself, name a time you lead a group, etc.) as well as to discuss some articles about education that were emailed to you prior to the interview. They seemed to value your opinion about the articles pertaining to the disparity in education so there was no right or wrong answer, just be sincere.

About a week and a half later, I received an email asking me to log onto the Teach for America system and select which regions/cities that I would prefer to work in. You can select up to 3 or 4 or select an option to be placed based on need. Note: they try to place you based on preference but also in correlation to their need. Also, slots do not fill up in cities based on how early you apply. There will be spaces in ALL markets whether your applying in the first, middle, or last cycle. Finally, you have the best chances of being placed by marking no preference but they do not hold it against you if you select a city preference. You can also indicate a reason for selecting your city of choice (for example a spouse receiving a job offer in a particular region, sick family member, proximity to home, etc.). Accommodations can be met if you are selected during this time. Also, this is the time that you choose your grade level preference (elementary, middle, or high school). The same rules apply with grade level, courses (if applicable) as city placement. During this time, you are also asked to select up to 3 people to serve as your recommenders for the program. Make sure you find someone who will speak highly to your character and abilities

About two weeks later, I received another email stating that I progressed to the next round of interviews that consisted of a panel interview. The interview would consist of a one-on-one in person interview with another regional recruiter as well as a panel interview to which you were to construct a 5 minute teaching assignment to teach to the other people interviewing as well as team building and group assignments to see how you worked within a team. The entire event lasted roughly a half to full day (depending on how early you arrived to sign up for your interview after the panel interview). With the teaching assignment, I found it best to be yourself but also be creative if possible when teaching (think would I be engaged if I were a student in my classroom).

Finally, around two weeks later, you will receive an email notification whether or not you were accepted into the corps, which region you will be located it, and what grade level (or grade level range ) and subject you will be teaching. You will also be contacted by your regional head who will personally introduce you to the corp and be an aid to help you make the decision on whether to accept the offer.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the process. Everyone was very friendly and the program goes out of their way to recruit and effectively train you so that your prepared and just not thrown to the wolves.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you served in a leadership role?   Answer Question
    • Name a time where you had to work with a group of people who you didn't see eye to eye on?   Answer Question