Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.4

337 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

The first interview discussed my qualifications and understanding of organization mission. The interviewer was very personable and shared information on her experience with company. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. This was a first round screening interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a challenge you faced and how you solved the problem?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

After answering some questions and providing a personal statement and resume online, I participated in an in-person interview that involved both an individual interview and group activity. We were required to give a teaching lesson in front of other applicants, which went well and was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in the position? Why had led me to apply?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Long. They make you think you have a real chance at getting a position. Don't be fooled and believe that you are being favored. These recruiters are being told to do so.

Alumni Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The first part was a phone interview with the hiring director where she asked basic questions like "Why do you think you'd be a good fit for TFA?" and "What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?". She then asked me why I chose each of the words I chose and how I thought they would help me in TFA. The second part was an in-person interview with the hiring director and head of the Alumni department. They asked more situational questions and how I would deal with difficult people and situations. They also asked me more about who I was in general and what I would contribute to TFA.

Interview Questions

• Do you deal with conflict well, and if so, what is your go-to method of dealing with it?   Answer Question

Recruitment Manager Interview

Interview

Someone from the organization reached out about RM role. 3 step process- initial application/essays- why do you want to do this, etc, then data analysis and video self, then in-person interview consisting of 1:1, data analysis, and a role play. Everyone is affirming, kind, and SUPER politically correct. Organization seeks to really emphasize core values/RM culture pillars.

Interview Questions

• How do you live out diversity?
      Tell about a time you had a ton to do and not enough time? How'd you stay organized/determine what to do?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2017.

Interview

Very long process that took about a month to get through. I had a virtual interview which was very long with about 7 other interviewees. After the group interview, there was a personal interview the same day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

It started with the 5 minute lesson plan and watching presentations. Then a small group conversation about a topic on an education issue. It ended with a 45 minute solo interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The application process was very extensive, and if you make it to the second round and are offered an interview, you are only given a few days to get letters of recommendation. I burned a bridge with an old professor by asking for it with such a quick turn around. The day of the interview, they make you block out an entire day from 9-5. The first part of the day you have to prepare a five minute mock lesson to present to two interviewers and about ten interviewees, and then with about four of the interviewees, you are presented with a situation as if you are on a school board and you have to deliberate possible solutions while an interviewer observes. Then you choose amongst yourselves when signing up for individual interview slots, the first starting immediately, the last requiring you to wait around for about five hours. Then, the individual interview lasts about an hour, mine a little longer. I was interviewed by a woman who worked in IT and had never been a corps member. I found that she was unable to answer many of my questions because they obviously had to do with the experience of teaching, the process, the training program, etc. She seemed annoyed that I kept asking questions she couldn't answer but I will not apologize for utilizing an interview for what it is meant to be, a forum for BOTH the interviewer AND the interviewee to determine if the position is a match. She also narrowed in on one leadership position I held in a club my freshman year, where I planned one event, kind of two, and repeatedly asked me to tell her about another event I planned in that position. She ignored my senior thesis and my junior year internship, and asked me this same question at least six times, at which point I clearly had no more experience in that position.

Interview Questions

• What's another event planning experience you had with your club? (x5)   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Was reached out to a recruiter but did not get accepted. This process seems like a scam. It takes a few months to go through entire process. For application, then group interview with teaching a lesson plan.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Extensive interview. Online application is the easiest part, but they require candidates to complete pre work before the final interview such as short answer responses to questions that require a lot of thought and time. Make sure to be prepared for the five-minute demo, include an evaluation of the students and make sure to know how to respond to wrong answers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project (they also ask class) you had a challenge with?
      They ask follow-up questions about it, when did you realize it was going to be challenging? What was the end result?   Answer Question