Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.4

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Was reached out to a recruiter but did not get accepted. This process seems like a scam. It takes a few months to go through entire process. For application, then group interview with teaching a lesson plan.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Once passing the 1st application phase, you go through a phone interview. During this interview they asked standard behavioral questions focusing on leadership skills. The difficult twist was that every question was within an obscure role on my resume, which I have heard is standard. The final round of interview was an all day experience. If you are truly passionate about the role and comfortable as a teacher it is not difficult. Interviewers were very friendly and welcoming.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Extensive interview. Online application is the easiest part, but they require candidates to complete pre work before the final interview such as short answer responses to questions that require a lot of thought and time. Make sure to be prepared for the five-minute demo, include an evaluation of the students and make sure to know how to respond to wrong answers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project (they also ask class) you had a challenge with?
      They ask follow-up questions about it, when did you realize it was going to be challenging? What was the end result?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX).

Interview

Online application, then you are notified if you have been selected for an interview...after this you have to upload transcripts, and enter all your credits and classes manually for all semesters online, and prepare for a 5 minute teaching lesson. The lesson can be any subject grades k-12....also you need to read some online material that will be used during a group activity in which the interviewers don't participate in, but just watch to see who is talking, or referencing the online material. The group has to act like school board members and have to make a ruling on a problem. There is no right or wrong answer to the ruling. Then you have a lunch break, sign up for your personal interview time slot, and wait. The personal interview is about an hour long. A week later they emailed us if we got the position or not. No reason is given if you are not hired.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

online application, in-person interview. began in a group of 10 with 5 minute lesson plan demos. Very important to practice these and be very comfortable with presenting the lesson as well as answering possible questions by "students" who may have a tough time with the lesson. Then group activity discussing options concerning local school funding policies followed by a 1 on 1 interview.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

It was a group interview. You were given an issue and you had to figure out if you would vote yes or no on the resolution while working together.

Interview Questions

• How are you able to stay organized? Why are you passionate about this organization?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Durham, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Really long application process, and the interview day lasted pretty long as well. I had <10 people at my interview day, so luckily ours didn't stretch out too long. Everyone gave 5 minute lessons (I actually did not finish my lesson entirely, was cut off in my final group activity), and then there was a group "roleplaying" activity in which you were presented with an educational dilemma and had to discuss it with your fellow applicants, and then the interviewers talked and presented opportunities for questions. Then, you signed up for your individual interview session.

The individual interview lasted about 55 minutes, and in it I was asked to expand upon my resume and my pre-interview activity (if you are currently applying for TFA you should know what this is), and otherwise had a great discussion with the interviewer. We talked about why I'd chosen the volunteer and job opportunities I'd taken on in the past, what my roles were like, and asked to talk about the numbers (statistics of achievements I'd accomplished in my jobs) on my resume as well.

Make sure you practice, practice, practice your lesson. Leave yourself an extra minute for questions you WILL receive, because when you're up there and you're nervous, you're gonna stumble over your words and take longer than you planned. Make sure you've incorporated effective activities that will help you gauge the understanding of your "class."

I made sure to give thank you cards to the interviewers. Also, you're not competing with the other applicants on your interview day. Do your best to support them and help them be the best they can be, because all of you could get in if qualified. Ask easy but significant questions during their lesson so that you won't throw them off but give them a chance to show off their improv and question-answering skills, converse with them while waiting for your interview to start and get to know them, make sure you take the time to listen to everyone's opinions in the role-playing activity.

In the end, it is actually quite fun. I met some great people, made some new facebook friends, and got a chance to be a part of a rigorous process that makes other job interviews I've had seem like cake. If you care about education equalization, this is your chance to do something great. However, if you only want a resume builder, I'd suggest looking somewhere else. With the confirmation of Betsy DeVos, America's public education sector is going to need as many competent, experienced, and passionate teachers we can find to ensure that our children will be armed with the knowledge they need to succeed. For all the flack TFA receives, I do believe that that is still their mission.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

First you submit your application with the first essay question explain why you want to join tfa in 500 words or less, in addition to your resume and other materials. If you are accepted you will be invited to an interview and asked to complete 6 other short pre-interview responses. For the interview they ask you to spend the full day first a five minute lesson plan on the topic of your choice. Afterwords all the interviewees work together to figure out how to solve certain scenarios. Then you are split up and given an individual interview with a TFA recruiter/alumni.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in January 2017.

Interview

1) 5 minute sample teaching lesson
    2) 15-20 minute group problem-solving and consensus building activity
    3) 20-30 minute presentation on Teach for America, its mission, and areas of particular need
    4) Sign up for individual interviews based on availability
    5) 45 minute individual interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

After the initial online application, I met with a recruiter in person. I was invited to an in-person interview. Then there is a long written component to the application, involving multiple essay questions, called a "pre-interview activity", as well as several readings to complete. The in-person interview consisted of five-minute sample lesson plans, a group activity (you have to come to a consensus in a roleplaying scenario: closing failing schools vs. firing teachers. The answer they want is closing the schools), and then finally the one-on-one interview. I found this to be very impersonal; the interviewer takes extensive notes on their laptop while you explain your answers to questions that are basically a reiteration of the pre-interview essays. There's little to no eye contact, just the constant clicking of their typing. Yikes!

This entire process took about 2.5 months. Progress is drawn-out, and you have to jump through so many hoops (including finding references who are willing to write very detailed recommendation surveys, as well as manually typing out all of the courses on your college transcript). After all of this, I did not receive an offer, and was rejected with an impersonal form letter.

Part of me wonders if I did not get the job because there is a question on the financial aid part of the application asking if you own a car. I explained that I do not currently have a car, but that I will obtain one before I graduate. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing why I was not accepted, because TFA refuses to provide feedback regarding admissions decisions. This, combined with their claim to provide a "holistic" assessment of your qualifications, makes it impossible to know whether one is being discriminated against. Since their application process is so rigorous and drawn-out, it seems the least they can do is provide feedback upon request. I feel as though I wasted so much time and energy on this process, and I am crushed that I did not get in; I really do believe in their mission. But overall, my experience was not positive. It was cold and impersonal.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a disagreement with a superior   Answer Question