Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2017

3.4

Teacher Interview

Interview

After answering some questions and providing a personal statement and resume online, I participated in an in-person interview that involved both an individual interview and group activity. We were required to give a teaching lesson in front of other applicants, which went well and was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in the position? Why had led me to apply?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Long. They make you think you have a real chance at getting a position. Don't be fooled and believe that you are being favored. These recruiters are being told to do so.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There was a team interaction part of interview (assess which two policies were better for the team and why), mock teaching and individual interview. The individual interview was pretty standard (biggest challenge and how you overcame it, what do you do when things don't meet your expectations, etc etc).

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?

Tell me about how you deal with disappointment.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Apply online, then go in for a group interview (Super day esque). I applied for the junior early deadline.
    Online process is pretty straightforward - make sure you submit things on time and have someone read your essays for feedback/grammar. Try to polish up your resume and focus on achievements (with numbers). Obviously, be politically correct.
    In person day - teaching lesson is stressful, prep prep prep. Have some sort of props like handouts to use. Dig around on TFA website/internet to help prepare. Stick with simple lessons and have all your info written out ahead of time (name, subject .. etc). Practice and time yourself !!
    1 on 1 interview is a bit strange, make sure you can highlight leadership achievements and results. Pretty standard questions you'd expect in an interview, similar to the ones on here. Not too stressful, 45 min

Try to appear polished throughout the process, practice !! everything, look over the 8 things they want in candidates/mission.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Filled out an online application, waited to hear about second round interviews. The interview took place over the course of a full day, including a sample lesson, a group activity and an individual interview. TFA sends materials about the interview process and that was very accurate as to how the day went.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process was rigorous, but that is to be expected. There a multiple components to the process including data analysis, creating a plan to help make a teacher more effective and phone/in person interviews.

Recruitment Manager Interview

Interview

Someone from the organization reached out about RM role. 3 step process- initial application/essays- why do you want to do this, etc, then data analysis and video self, then in-person interview consisting of 1:1, data analysis, and a role play. Everyone is affirming, kind, and SUPER politically correct. Organization seeks to really emphasize core values/RM culture pillars.

Interview Questions

• How do you live out diversity?
      Tell about a time you had a ton to do and not enough time? How'd you stay organized/determine what to do?
      Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

First, they had everyone do a sample teaching lesson with the other interviewees participating as students, then a group discussion about an issue facing a school, and finally the interviewers talked about their Teach for America experiences. Then there was a short break before going in to the final personal interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you didn't get along with someone and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I first filled out an application online and was directly invited to a final round interview. The final round was a long process, and consisted of multiple steps, but I received an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what skills you have that would make you a good teacher?   Answer Question

Manager, Teacher Leadership Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tulsa, OK) in April 2017.

Interview

The process was similar to corps member application, focused on teaching ideology and coaching habits. Many questions were centered around how you would deal with a difficult corps member, and how you would encourage diversity amongst your team.