Teach for America Managing Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Managing Director Interview Questions

3.3

Managing Director, Communications and Culture Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Round 1: Phone screen with hiring manager for basic fit and alignment of skills/experience.
    Round 2: Completed written exercise that took about 2-3 hours.
    Round 3: Interview with senior level executive.

Overall, the process was pleasant and the lead interviewer had excellent candidate management skills - was fair, kind and friendly. The written exercise was positioned as something that shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours. This was not necessarily the case - and I had similar experiences in other interview assignments with TFA. The assignments typically take longer and I'm not sure hiring managers are realistic.

Interview Questions

• Why this role?
      What do you enjoy doing most?
      What do you not enjoy doing?
      Tell me about a time that you had to have a difficult conversation.
      Tell me about a time you had to manage conflict.
      This role is new and complex. Given these factors (X, Y and Z), what are some of the things you'd want to consider about this role?
      Answer Question

Managing Director, Regional Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Omaha, NE) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview invitation on 2/6, Scheduled 30mn phone interview for 2/17, will know next steps by 2/23, rejection email 2/19

The recruiter was very friendly but didn't leave time for me to ask any questions. Her perky demeanor was very confusing when I got the rejection email because she seemed very excited about letting me know the date I'd hear "next steps" AKA a rejection email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for a VP position and was invited to talk with a HR manager. He expressed interest in my qualifications, but asked me to consider a different, less senior, more recent role of managing director. It was a nice conversation and I decided to learn more about the MD role.

A few weeks later I was invited to complete a short writing exercise and to interview with two senior staff members. We talked for about 75 minutes, and their questions were standard and felt fair. I thought it was a good conversation, and that we could be a good fit for each other.

Then, things took a turn for the worse: they pledged to reach out within the week, and it was 3+ weeks before I heard from them again. When they did reach out they said, "Sorry, we were traveling, would you like to participate in a second timed writing exercise." I agreed, but when they sent that late without apology I decided to opt out of the process entirely. It ultimately felt a little disrespectful - I sensed a bit of hubris in their operations and remote communications, which worried me given the nature of the role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to manage various stakeholders to achieve your goals.   Answer Question

Managing Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There were a total of six interviews in total and all of them were virtual. One of the interviews had a case study which i had to define a plan and present to a group.

Managing Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The phone interview was very structured. The Talent Director gave me a clear framework of what we would speak about, and for how long. At the end of the interview, she gave me a clear picture of the hiring process and a date by which I would hear from her, if I were to be selected for an in-person interview. often, they ask management-level staff to complete a sample project or report before the second interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard: Tell me about your greatest success, tell me about a time that you resolved a conflict with a colleague, etc.   Answer Question

Managing Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in September 2013.

Interview

As many have already mentioned, the hiring process for TFA is very structured, but in my opinion it's overdone. According to the hiring manager, I was actually 1 of 2 top candidates for the job, but unfortunately for me the other person was offered the position. The entire process took 4 agonizing months and a call to my supervisor for a reference, only for them to offer the job to my opponent in the end.

My interview process was as follows: I first completed the initial phone interview screening. About 4-5 weeks later I was contacted to do a second phone interview with a member from the team I would be working with and the program assistant. A few days after that I was given a 2-part critical thinking assignment, which had a 1-week deadline. Two weeks after submitting the assignment I was contacted once again to interview with the hiring manager. Following that interview, I spoke with 2 additional team members, and a few days later I had my final interview with a VP based in a different location.

Everyone I spoke to was always extemely polite and seemingly very interested in my ideas, but I did often wonder if they were being genuine. When it was all said and done, I wasn't provided much feedback as to why they decided to go with the other candidate, only that it was a "really tough decision." The hiring manager even went on to say that my references were excellent and how great of a job I'm doing in my present work. Overall, I still believe that TFA is likely a great place to work, but after my long, drawn-out experience I doubt I will ever apply with this organization again.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty straight-forward, and many of them had to do with corporate relationship building and how well you can handle challenges.   Answer Question

Managing Director, External Affairs Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

First I submitted my resume and cover letter through their online site. I was contacted 5 days later, though an email which indicated they would like to set up a phone interview. I scheduled the interview though their scheduling link, which the email provided and there was no human contact involved.

All the times are scheduled in Central time and were early in the morning. I am in California which means I am two hours behind them, so an 8:30 a.m. appointment was 6:30 a.m. my time. There was no phone number or contact information to discuss this and arrange for a more mutually agreeable time.

The time lag between setting the appointment and the interview gave me the opportunity to do "allot" of research on the company, people, inner workings, and pro's and con's. Most of which was very positive.

The person who spoke with called exactly on time, was pleasant, organized and professional. It was also fairly obvious that this person had not reviewed my resume and cover letter until just then, up to this point my background had been scanned by software, focusing on key words and phrases.

The interview lasted exactly 30 minutes and focused specifically on behavioral issues. They were very clear in the beginning that 'this' interview would not be about specific job functions, and was more of a personality screening.

My over all impression of the organization is positive, so far. I was told I would hear back within two weeks with a decision if they would like to talk further (I assumed by email) or not. It has been a week now and I am looking forward to their decision, which I hope is to move forward.

I will write more as (if) the interview process continues.

Interview Questions

• None of the question were difficult or unexpected, although I have many years of work experience and am comfortable with this process.

They were screening for personality, passion, energy, experience, and if there is a cultural fit within the organization, which is understandable. Just be yourself and trust in their judgement to know the 'type' of person they are looking for. Speaking for experience, it does make for a productive and pleasant team environment.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

The first interview was with the HR rep. That interview ended with a warning of a salary cap that I would have to agree to live with it before moving on. From there, I was brought in multiple times, speaking to people at varying levels. They were all very nice, but seemed disorganized, with a lack of communication and then a sense of urgency. The interviews themselves were pretty straightforward (Q&A, no tests), but again a bit unstructured, and they kept starting late and running long without the interviewer seeming to have gotten what they wanted out of it. They kept giving me feedback that everybody liked me, but in the end, they did not offer a job for reasons that were not very clear or consistent with what had transpired.

Interview Questions

• The HR rep asked alot of the "tell me about a time that you failed to accomplish something and what you learned from it" sorts of questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in September 2008.

Interview

TFA has a long interview process, which includes multiple phone interviews, completing a task/project, and then completing multiple in-person interviews. Salaries are relatively high (in the non-profit world), but not very negotiable since the organization does a lot of internal and external benchmarking to establish salaries for each position.

A lot of focus is on fitting into their "core values"- relentless pursuit of results, respect & humility, sense of possibility, disciplined thought, & integrity. They will specifically be looking for you to demonstrate each of these qualities.

Once they select you for a position, they will court you with multiple people reaching out to try to woo you to work for the organization (don't be too enticed since that's the most personal the organization will ever be).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your greatest achievement and the obstacles you overcame to reach it.   Answer Question
    • How did you quantitatively measure success with X?   1 Answer

Managing Director Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in September 2010.

Interview

The interview process was very organized and efficient. The number of interviews was necessary for the role that I would be taking on.