Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.4

342 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me by email, she sounded very enthusiastic and scheduled an interview for me with another recruiter. Recruiter called late, and didn't ask a single question, he literally talked about himself the entire time. A week later I got a rejection with no reason given. This was so insanely unprofessional, they clearly had no intention to hire me, but wasted my time anyway.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Athens, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process is extremely long and extensive. They make you jump through hoops, they get your hopes up, they have people contact you to encourage you to continue in your application process, and they have you fill out a preliminary application that is so extensive that it seems more suitable for adopting a child or becoming a FBI agent.

Manager, Teacher Leadership Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

The application and interview process was intense and required a great deal of work. The company was very clear and concise in their communication of deadlines, requirements etc. The interview lasted about an hour and a half and I was interviewed by three people. They did a good job making me feel comfortable, but the interview questions were challenging and unique. The questions were based on future scenarios for the most part.

Interview Questions

• Pretend that it is your first day meeting your corps members. Introduce yourself and the vision you have for yourself, your corps members and their students.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview was incredibly time consuming, from when you first apply you are in the process for months. Additionally I had to prepare a lesson to teach, with very few guidelines. I felt that the interview was more focused on feelings rather than on measured achievement and student results. Additionally I asked questions about some of the common criticisms of Teach for America, and while I know I was not a perfect applicant I think that may have been part of the reason I was not offered a position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Cleveland, OH) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in October, and do not find out if I get the position until January. Intensive interview process. Online application, then phone interview, the in person. The in person interview lasts all day. It is nerve wracking, but definitely worth it because they really want to make sure you can handle the job.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC) in March 2014.

Interview

Very rigorous interview process - I had to submit a few essay responses and do a problem set, then a phone interview (which was really helpful because I got to talk to a corps member who volunteered to interview new applicants), teach a lesson and then one in-person interview. Given how much work I put into the entire process, by the time I finally got to the interview round, I wish it had been more personalized than it was. As a part of the group session, we had to teach a sample lesson then debate an education topic. It was a little awkward because we were all competing against one another and very forced. Either way, it was a pretty positive interview experience but very standardized, which makes sense because it's such a large organization.

Interview Questions

• How would you overcome day-to-day challenges as a Corps Member?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a three-step process. First there was the initial orientation interview, which included mostly behavioral-based questioning and questioning that helped to identify political stances. The 2nd phone interview was a bit more complex and scenario-based. The final interview was a group format. There were reality-based questions that required working as a team, along with a required five-minute presentation.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe your best relationship you had with a former educator   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Managing Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in September 2013.

Interview

As many have already mentioned, the hiring process for TFA is very structured, but in my opinion it's overdone. According to the hiring manager, I was actually 1 of 2 top candidates for the job, but unfortunately for me the other person was offered the position. The entire process took 4 agonizing months and a call to my supervisor for a reference, only for them to offer the job to my opponent in the end.

My interview process was as follows: I first completed the initial phone interview screening. About 4-5 weeks later I was contacted to do a second phone interview with a member from the team I would be working with and the program assistant. A few days after that I was given a 2-part critical thinking assignment, which had a 1-week deadline. Two weeks after submitting the assignment I was contacted once again to interview with the hiring manager. Following that interview, I spoke with 2 additional team members, and a few days later I had my final interview with a VP based in a different location.

Everyone I spoke to was always extemely polite and seemingly very interested in my ideas, but I did often wonder if they were being genuine. When it was all said and done, I wasn't provided much feedback as to why they decided to go with the other candidate, only that it was a "really tough decision." The hiring manager even went on to say that my references were excellent and how great of a job I'm doing in my present work. Overall, I still believe that TFA is likely a great place to work, but after my long, drawn-out experience I doubt I will ever apply with this organization again.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty straight-forward, and many of them had to do with corporate relationship building and how well you can handle challenges.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews across rolling deadlines. 1. Online application, 2. Phone interview, 3. In-person interview and sample lesson.

Interview Questions

• There was a specific simulation question that was very difficult at the in-person interview day. It likely changes by year, interview location, and interview date. It asks you to solve a problem within the school and then the interviewer reacts as a certain actor in the situation.   Answer Question