Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The hiring process had several steps that you had to go through over a period of time. First it was an online application. The application had many questions and then you had to also submit a resume and letters of recommendation. If you passed that, they email you to set up a phone interview. Next you choose a location to go to for an in person interview. This consisted of presenting a 5 minute lesson, then a group activity, and ends with a one-on-one interview.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Durham, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Really long application process, and the interview day lasted pretty long as well. I had <10 people at my interview day, so luckily ours didn't stretch out too long. Everyone gave 5 minute lessons (I actually did not finish my lesson entirely, was cut off in my final group activity), and then there was a group "roleplaying" activity in which you were presented with an educational dilemma and had to discuss it with your fellow applicants, and then the interviewers talked and presented opportunities for questions. Then, you signed up for your individual interview session.

The individual interview lasted about 55 minutes, and in it I was asked to expand upon my resume and my pre-interview activity (if you are currently applying for TFA you should know what this is), and otherwise had a great discussion with the interviewer. We talked about why I'd chosen the volunteer and job opportunities I'd taken on in the past, what my roles were like, and asked to talk about the numbers (statistics of achievements I'd accomplished in my jobs) on my resume as well.

Make sure you practice, practice, practice your lesson. Leave yourself an extra minute for questions you WILL receive, because when you're up there and you're nervous, you're gonna stumble over your words and take longer than you planned. Make sure you've incorporated effective activities that will help you gauge the understanding of your "class."

I made sure to give thank you cards to the interviewers. Also, you're not competing with the other applicants on your interview day. Do your best to support them and help them be the best they can be, because all of you could get in if qualified. Ask easy but significant questions during their lesson so that you won't throw them off but give them a chance to show off their improv and question-answering skills, converse with them while waiting for your interview to start and get to know them, make sure you take the time to listen to everyone's opinions in the role-playing activity.

In the end, it is actually quite fun. I met some great people, made some new facebook friends, and got a chance to be a part of a rigorous process that makes other job interviews I've had seem like cake. If you care about education equalization, this is your chance to do something great. However, if you only want a resume builder, I'd suggest looking somewhere else. With the confirmation of Betsy DeVos, America's public education sector is going to need as many competent, experienced, and passionate teachers we can find to ensure that our children will be armed with the knowledge they need to succeed. For all the flack TFA receives, I do believe that that is still their mission.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2012.

Interview

Lengthy. I had an online application and was forwarded directly to the final interview which consisted of a sample lesson, a group activity, and a one-on-one traditional interview. The final interview basically took an entire day. Most people have a phone interview after the online application, however. Not completely sure how they decide who to omit from this stage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Athens, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process is extremely long and extensive. They make you jump through hoops, they get your hopes up, they have people contact you to encourage you to continue in your application process, and they have you fill out a preliminary application that is so extensive that it seems more suitable for adopting a child or becoming a FBI agent.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY).

Interview

Long, a few months time. Online app was first step. Then there was a phone interview, then a final interview which included a mock teaching lesson for 5 minutes, a group discussion, and a personal interview.

Manager, Teacher Leadership Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

The application and interview process was intense and required a great deal of work. The company was very clear and concise in their communication of deadlines, requirements etc. The interview lasted about an hour and a half and I was interviewed by three people. They did a good job making me feel comfortable, but the interview questions were challenging and unique. The questions were based on future scenarios for the most part.

Interview Questions

• Pretend that it is your first day meeting your corps members. Introduce yourself and the vision you have for yourself, your corps members and their students.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview was incredibly time consuming, from when you first apply you are in the process for months. Additionally I had to prepare a lesson to teach, with very few guidelines. I felt that the interview was more focused on feelings rather than on measured achievement and student results. Additionally I asked questions about some of the common criticisms of Teach for America, and while I know I was not a perfect applicant I think that may have been part of the reason I was not offered a position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Cleveland, OH) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in October, and do not find out if I get the position until January. Intensive interview process. Online application, then phone interview, the in person. The in person interview lasts all day. It is nerve wracking, but definitely worth it because they really want to make sure you can handle the job.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Naples, FL).

Interview

Starts with an online application and you paired with a mentor right away. If you make it past the application then you move to a phone interview. If you make it past the phone interview you then do an in person or virtual interview. You also have to take an online assessment before the in person. The whole process took about 4 months. It is said to be one of the hardest interview processes.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

With multiple steps, the organization really seeks to understand your reason for applying, your commitment to education reform and your leadership skills. There is an initial online application which asks about experiences that may have prepared you for the work you may do with TFA. In addition, there is an online tests that tests skills you may need while you are a teacher. Some may be invited to a phone interview then while others are invited right to the in-person interview. For this interview you are asked to teach something. This does not have to be complicated lesson. The organization is looking for your teachers voice, as well as classroom management skills. They also want to see how you respond to their clarifying questions about your lesson. For the in person interview it is important to remember that you are not competing against the other interviewees. The lessons usually works better for everyone involved if you all participate and support each others lesson.

Interview Questions

• Cannot say due to an agreement with Teach For America.   Answer Question