Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

3.4

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I went through the screening process, phone interview, and final interview. I didn't make it in, but it was a good experience

Interview Questions

• At the final interview, you are expected to do a short teaching presentation on a subject of your choice to the group. You are told to pretend like you are teaching a grade level of your choice, even if that is not the grade which you would want to teach.   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Begins with a rigorous online application that asks the basic questions and goes into greater detail with a few essays. The essays asked about volunteer experience and why you are pursuing a career with Teach for America. A recruiter from Teach for America will call after you submit your application to see if you have any questions. If your application is selected, you have a phone interview and then an interview in the closest city that has Teach for America.

Teacher Interview

Interview

I applied last year and got rejected after the final interview. I came back this year, went through the entire process again and still got rejected. I followed every single tip you can find about doing well in a TFA interview. Don't be fooled like I was. It doesn't matter how passionate you are for teaching in underserved communities. They don't care; they are looking for people they can mold into potential government/public officials who will push through legislature conducive to their organization's idealogies. If you want to get through, go through the interview in a business-like manner with the mindset of a politician.

Interview Questions

• What have you been doing since last year's interview to serve low-income children?
      What made you realize you wanted to teach?
      Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

online app with statement of interest, phone interview, online assignments, in person interview

Corps Member Interview

Interview

written application, Phone interview and then final interview

Teacher Interview

Interview

You start off with an initial interview, and then most people get phone interviews as well. The phone interview lasts 30 minutes, and was pretty relaxed for me since it was with a former corps member and she was outgoing and very nice. The downside to the process is that the turnover time between the phone interview, being informed if you made it to the next round, and obtaining recommendations is very short. I had to ask for recommendations before I even knew if I made it to the final interview stage (which I didn't).

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to work with someone and had a difficult time?   Answer Question

Teacher/Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

1) There's an application process in which you have to fill out a lot of information about you first, and also includes a letter of intent and a resume that you have to fill and upload.

2) Then there's the phone interview. Which does ask you some personal questions about your interests and know more about you as a person. There's also an online activity to assess your "sound judgment" and "analytical skills".

3) Then there's the full day interview. It's not necessarily a full-day, but there's only about two interviewers on the site. You teach a lesson plan in the morning, followed by a personal interview in the afternoon. If you happen to get the last time slot from 4:20-ish to 5:00, then you pretty much stay the full day there.

Interview Questions

• At some point during the personal interview, they will ask about your responses from the online activity. Access to the activity was limited, so better be prepared to remember/take note of your responses!!   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

There are three steps to the application process. 1.) An Application 2.) A phone Interview 3.) A day long final interview. They are very selective in their practices and they do not give you feedback so I am still unaware of what I did wrong during the final interview

Teacher Interview

Interview

Application. I honestly think the most important part of the application is the essay. Read over their website extremely thoroughly and make sure you don't raise any red flags by sounding like a privileged college student who wants to come save the poor urban kids.

Phone Interview. Pretty straight forward. The interviewer was nice. 70% of the time was spent on one bullet of my resume. Don't know if that's normal lol. They ask questions about how your experiences relate to what you'd be doing in the classroom.

In-Person Interview
    Some of the questions were repeats of questions I'd been asked on the phone. They also asked a few questions about the online video. They asked how do I keep organized/manage my time, we talked about my resume some more. There was a role playing portion where the interviewer acted as a school administrator and I was a teacher requesting something.

Group Activity
    In my group this was excruciating. There were a number of douches that actively tried to monopolize all of the talking time. Getting in a word was difficult. It definitely felt like a competition lol. I would say try to make 4 or 5 good points, but don't be the main person talking.

Lesson Plan
    THE SIMPLER THE BETTER when it comes to your lesson. And don't procrastinate on it! It will take a lot longer than you think. I would say don't start it less than 5 days in advance. Present it at least 5 times to friends, timed. That's where I messed up *tear* lol

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you missed an assignment/deadline.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Applied online at the last possible day. Got a phone interview. Invited for the final interview but declined